Bitting Dilemma

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Neighlands, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

He is cruisy on the ground, just don't get him excited for god's sake *#) He is probably the most difficult ride I have ever had, but also the best. Love him :)* he is totally trustworthy on a lunge rein with a novice rider though - he nannies them. Just knows that he can rough ol' mum around a bit :eek:

The younger model is a bit crackers on the ground and in the paddock but once you are on top he is easy peasy. Like a holiday after Johnny :p

2. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

Desmo- I've got one sitting in my bit collection if you want to borrow it :) I've got my boy in a sweet iron loose ring which he seems to love which could be worth a try as well.

3. lex

lex Well-known Member

Not sure if it has been said yet but re-mouthing sounds like it could help you a lot.
    You could just end up using stronger and stronger bits but then what?

4. Neighlands

Neighlands Well-known Member

SR - you have a PM.
    Lex - My question is not necessarily aimed at a stronger bit, I was wondering if there was anything new to the market or what people had had success with to assist while in this process of retraining.

5. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

If you have an enclosed area to ride in initially, go for a softer bit and see what happens.

I find horse respond really well to happy mouth mullen mouth FM"S. It seems to send the signals nice and clearly, and in a non confrontational way.

It is very important that you, as the rider, refuse to pull on the reins. You must refuse, and then he cant lean and pull on you.

You may well be asking, how do I stop him then? You set yourself a safe area of approximately a 20 or 30 metre circle. If he speeds up you decrease the size of the circle and keep decreasing it until he has to slow down. The moment he slows down and relaxes within the pace you reward him by going a little larger, but if he speeds up you reduce the size of the circle. Keep doing this until he gets the idea that life is easier going slower and the circle gets larger which is easier to do.

Make sure you only have a very very light guidance on the reins, not a grip or a hold! Also incorporate changes of direction in a calm manner.

YOu will get there, but remember, horses have to power though sand and thick going and sometimes it feels like they are rushing. If you put the same horse on a firmer serface, he can suddenly feel more steady.

WE need pics though....

6. I really like this one ! :))

The only thing I'll add is to make sure you are 100% relaxed , this is very important . If he's all keyed up with his back muscles really tense , the last thing he needs is a really tense human bouncing on top of them ! It makes those muscles sore and then he's more tense (and you too , most likely) and suddenly you've got a snowball running downhill . **)

7. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yep I really like what Deb2 said as well **) Sing a little song to yourself while your doing it to make sure your butt muscles aren't clenched and telling him to go.

8. Neighlands

Neighlands Well-known Member

Excellent advice Deb 2 :) **)
    I'm fortunate to be able to remain decidely chilled no matter goes on underneath me and the most excitable horse usually relaxes smartish, to the disgust of my girls who tell me ''it's not that easy mum!''';'

9. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

Other advice is to get a monkey strap on the front of your saddle. If he is pulling or bracing, tuck your fingers under the strap and he is pulling against a brick wall :) then there is not tug-of-war or strength battle going on and it would be good for the kids too if they are not that big.