Bits to use on bolting horses

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by GoneRama, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Question - I have no doubt if a horse wants to do something they will. But those horses that have bolted with their heads turned, have they actually been trained the one rein stop? You can't just pull the rein and expect it to work, it needs training.

Both of mine have it and unfortunately have had to use it on King a couple of times.

2. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

I think it depends greatly on how you/we define bolting. To me it's the blind panic where the horse just runs and all rider aids are ignored/useless as the horse isn't thinking. It's not just simply running off with you, plenty of the racehorses will do that if they get a fright. And yes if they simply take off a one rein stop will work but with a bolt, in my experience, nothing works until the horse switches back on and is 'with' you, if that makes sense.

3. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

It is the total panic bolting, the kind where the horse will run into things because it is running blind. My horse was very very educated ( not by me) but when she freaked out she would bolt like her life depended on it.
    She would shy, then bolt.
    I found out afterwards that the owner before me would lay into my horse every time she would shy. So she would bolt trying to get away from the person on her back.....
    After I got that sorted out I could ride in a halter or nothing at all in all paces.
    She would still sometimes shy but not bolt off afterward because she did not get attacked with a crop or whip.
    Some people should not have horses, it took me 12 months to sort out the problems caused by someone who was an "expert" horseman.
    There is a big difference between getting a bit fast and a terrified bolt.

4. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

I completely agree old_mate, it's just the posts by some people here reads to me like they define, I guess you'd say taking off?, as bolting so i think the definition needs to be put out there. Bolting is actually quite rare, taking off not so much lol. And I don't want to bring up the old one rein stop debate again but a horse truly bolting can not be stopped. Like the guy we had, he only stopped once the rider bailed. There was no pulling him up.

5. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Taking off is a lot nicer easier to stop than a full on bolt. The meaning of the word bolt is the key.
    Until you have had the experience of both it could be hard to explain. I used to think that you could stop a bolt by pulling a horse around in a circle, I soon learnt that that was not true.
    Up until my first pony I had never dealt with a proper bolt before, and I have never had the same degree of it again.
    And I don't want to.:eek:

6. Marz

Marz Well-known Member

for me a "bolt" is when they don't react to your signals AT ALL. like they've forgotten you're there...
    in which case I'm not sure what bit you have will make any difference!

7. The buzz

The buzz New Member

I used to ride pacers some that had been ridden before and soon not. The only way to stop some of them was to ride them into a brick wall, literally. This was also timed with a quick dismount. I was fearless in my younger days.

8. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

For me I don't get on that horse to start with. If it has a known history of running through the bridle/bolting I'm not getting on it until my ground work is 110%. Then when I do get on it it's in the round yard doing nothing but one rein stops and not leaving it until that horse has complete control of itself at all paces. Your bolting starts from the moment you get on that horse and it walks off without being asked.

As Arnie said..... you've got to train the one rein stop before you need it. I don't have bolting horse stories, to be quite frank I'm ashamed to have a couple of stories where I've let the horse down in my training process and ended up on the ground.