Bits and bitting.

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by widgelli, Jun 9, 2003.

1. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

What types of bits do you use and why?
    At what age do you mouth your young stock?
    I have decided to put this post up , as I think that our discussion on the use of different types of bits could help other people with some of the problems that they face with their horses.

Jo

2. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

i started my mare when she was about 20 months old.I took it real slow for about 2 months,then i started long reining her. for the 1st 2 months would just put the snaffle in her mouth & take her for walks, just so she could get used to the feel & taste of it without any other interferences. then i started long reining her in the same snaffle. she took to it easily as is was just the next step & no big deal. i still use the same snaffle on her now in the showring & for working.
    ( i have bought another one exactly the same )
    it is a french snaffle? has a little piece in the middle.

3. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Good topic Jo! I have always started my quarter horses in a training bosal(no bits), usually at 2 years. Not until I thought they were "broken in the face" that is, stopping, backing, flexing and guiding would I move to a snaffle bit and from there a full bridle (shank bit). I have learnt from using a training bosal on a young horse that both horse and rider would work more relaxed and be more productive in a training session. This method has served me well over many years. Also, they are excellent on a finished horse when some fine tuning is required.
    [image]http://www.stockyard.net/bosal.jpg[/image]
    <font face="Brush Script MT"><span style="font-size:22pt;">Murray</span></font>

4. widgelli

I have always used a mullen mouth .egg butt snaffle on all of my horses , for the simple reason that they were ridden by the boys when they were learning . As they were a little heavy in the hands for a while I found that the ponies were not jolted in the barrs of the mouth with these bits.
    I agree with the bosal Murray , as I have used them on horses that have had their mouths damaged by people who have nearly dragged their heads off.
    The boys, as they got older used to often ride in a headstall that had been modified so that it worked in a similar way to the bosal , but actually worked on the side and across the nose more than underneath like the bosal does.
    With this piece of harness that I designed , they really had to use their legs and seat to get a response from their horse and to get a top line.
    Finally they were taught to ride around the barrels , do a figure of eight , and pull up after a hand gallop with no reins. They did this in the large yard that we had for holding the sheep at the shearing shed.
    The oldest son used to do Western as well as Hacking , Eventing and Sporting.

Jo

5. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I've never had a youngster so I've never had to 'mouth' a horse but all my horses wear snaffles, 3 of them eggbutt snaffles one a french snaffle and one a sweet iron snaffle.

Ali

6. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Interesting topic. I have never had to mouth a young horse but when I got my first horse I used a french link snaffle on him as I had used this on two previous horses and they loved it. However this horse hated it- took me a while to work it out i thought he was just been silly- and would throw his head up alot so i eventually changed it to a single jointed thick eggbut snaffle. i found this quite amazing cos the french link is such a soft bit i used to think that all horses should like it but poor kobie detested it!

7. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

Ive never mouthed a youngster by myself but I have watched and did a little part...closely watched by the experienced person! This person used an eggbutt snaffle attached to a piece of elastic. The bit was then put in her mouth and the elastic is the strap that holds it behind their ears. The pony was then walked around using the halter just to get her familiar to the taste and feeling of a bit. After a few weeks pressure was applied until she was able to be long reined. This filly is now broken in and has the best mouth, she is so responsive. Sorry carrying on abit...anyways this was all done when she was 2 years old.
    I use a plain eggbutt snaffle and also found that my horse hated the french linked snaffle, would constantly throw her head.

Gamby

8. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

When the YDB was broken in his first bit was an FM Snaffle... It has really long sides on it and it supposedly helps teach the horses the turning aides. He was only ridden in this in the inital stages and then once he was accepting the bridle the bit was changed to a eggbut snaffle.

I then changed it once he was happy at home to a thick loose ring snaffle and have recently changed again to a thinner KK training bit. He seems to be very happy with the KK. I get a lot of white foam in his mouth and very little resistance.

I have a huge number of different bits at home.... mostly different types and thicknesses of snaffles. I find that sometimes you have to play with a few bits in order to find the one that works for you and your horse.

9. widgelli

I had a lot of different types of bits too , but over the time since I have stopped riding , different ones have borrowed them and I haven't seen any of them again. I now only have the bit that the Welsh pony used , which I will not let anyone have , and the Bit and Bradoon that the Waler used for hacking. These go no where.

Jo

10. slowjo

slowjo New Member

I use a simple shaft bit on my TB. its got a snaffle join in the middle so its not severe. The pony has a eggbut snaffle, and the SB has a plain snaffle