Biting when rugging

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Lauren, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNDKatherine

DNDKatherine New Member

I think it is! lol
    Yep, fair enough.... Kind of a tricky situation! Well best of luck with it!!

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

If I get bored today I'm going to read this thread today.

Personally I don't smack a biting horse, no, I take my boot and tap them on the shins, keeps your hands free to keep going with what you're doing and distracts them. By smacking them you're stopping what you're doing and thus horsey has a slight win for a moment. Tapping in the shins keeps you doing whatever it is they're biting you about whilst still chastising them.

My two bobs worth anyway.

3. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

I do this too with Kicky mckickykins if they wanna argue about having their hooves done. Just scratch a different leg. Stops them in their tracks, hahaha.

4. luffy

luffy Active Member

Lauren I bought a mohair string girth for my dressage saddle (dressage). A proper mohair one is not cheap (around $100) but might be worth a try instead of the Cair girth.

I was a bit sceptical (they don't look as comfortable as the pressure eze) but I tried it on my horse yesterday and he didn't even attempt to nip (and he has been lately with his wintec or pressure eze girth). It might be just a coincidence so I will see how he goes with more use! It did seem to sit really nicely and actually looked like it would be quite comfortable on their skin and it can "give" a bit with the movement of the horse.

You could also get the billets of your jump saddle lengthened a bit so that the girth doesn't have to be as tight when first done up :) I have the same problem with my jump saddle in that for the girth to be able to be done up tight enough it can't be too long, so getting it done up on the first hole is quite snug (and a challenge because it is high up under the flap). Once I have it in the first hole it is easier (because of the elastic) to get it up another couple of holes. I have a leather elasticised girth for my jump saddle and have not really had any problems with my horse getting nippy when using this (mostly seems to be my dressage girth for some reason).

5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

....die thread die.....pmsl

6. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

My thoughts exactly Nanny..............

This thread has run it's course etc etc etc and we whack a big padlock on it.

This post has been edited :eek:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  7. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Lauren, I was also going to suggest the lengthened girth leathers, which would allow more holes to be added, or, to save on money, you could just use two rug chest collars and put them on the girth straps on your near side of saddle (up quite high on the girth leathers), then initially girth up onto them, and gradually tighten until you reach the first holes on the girth leathers, then take one collar off and girth onto the leather as the other collar will be holding the saddle and girth together, then undo the other collar (and take off) and girth onto the other leather.

Its a bit of mucking around, but will enable the tightening process to be slower.

Note, you do not ride with the rug collars on at all. They are just used to enable you to have the saddle securely on the horse while you gradually tighten your girth to a point where they can be removed one at a time.

Off now...........

(edited: thanks wattle)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2011
  8. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Somewhere in the last 20 odd pages I contributed some constructive advice which blitzen agreed with.

ETA: oh look, it is at the top of this very page, you must have missed it.

9. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

If mine ever bite and the colts do a lot they get a smack in their gob! They dont do it again. End of story **)

10. mod 7

mod 7 Moderator

This thread has run its course. I am locking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.