Biting when rugging

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Lauren, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashes88

ashes88 Well-known Member

yes but some mares who are fully in season can get grouchy around the girth or even near there hindquarters, ive ridden a few racemares who are exactly like that.

2. SpArTiAn

SpArTiAn Well-known Member

our mare threatens to bite when doing her girth up and putting her rug on sometimes... i just give her an "open" handed smack and a talking to.... nothing more nothing less. definately think people are overthinking the situation ;) if Bess is dangerous i'd hate to see what ppl say about our mare!!!!

3. DNDKatherine

DNDKatherine New Member

I don't think there's any excuse for biting. But some do have that odd habit that we can't seem to break.... So we just have to be cautious and ready to smack! Our old stallion got a little nippy every now and then, but not full on biting. He was 27, and at no point did his nipping progress. So I guess it all depends on the degree of the biting. If they're tiny nips on rare occasions, no drama. But full on grabbing your skin kind of biting, nu-uh!

I agree with some people who have said you come down on them like a tonne of bricks! If my gelding starts being a turd in the paddock at feed time, I throw the bag of feed at him and make him run from me. He has to stay away from the feed bowl until I'm ready for him to come back. He gets the picture, and he stops misbehaving.

Same with getting in my face or nipping (if you let him take one small step over the line, he keeps on running if ya know what I mean!), I'll stick the halter on him and give him a what for in a training session! Make him back up, stay out of my space, get him really focused on every little move I make. If his reactions aren't quick enough, discipline. Once they are, you've claimed the dominant role and their respect should return. Every now and then they might need small reminding of who's boss, but yeah, it's all good after that!

4. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Well, I am a bit disappointed Miss Lauren;) (said in a jokey kind of way :D). I came back in here to see if you were going to give any feed back to all these suggestions, that myself and a lot of other stockies have put time and effort into sharing, but nothing from you for five pages! Where have you gone to?

Are you interested in any of our suggestions, or just Smash's expert observation?

It's has been a very interesting, and civilised discussion, and I have really enjoyed it, but some more feed back from OP would be really great.

Do you think any of these suggestions apply to Bess and you, or do you think you might try some of the techniques offered, or do you think all or some of us are way off base?

5. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

LOL Deb. My guess is that Lauren's had a gutful of all this good advice and is hoping the thread with just quietly die a quick death :p

6. Cav

Cav Gold Member

She might be at work Deb ;)

Deb I think everyone has offered some good and some not so good advice however I personally would have liked to known at the start of this thread that Bess nips/bites even when not being rugged. ;)

Good luck with it Lauren....Ima outta here!

7. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

purely tongue in cheek, mate.:}

**)**)

8. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i absolutely LOVE the analogy you used here, BB. brilliant, and relevant. very easy to relate. Thanks for your clarity!

**)**)**)**)**)

9. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

:D
    Yep, agreed Cav...it does kind of change the 'only vice' label a bit, I was just hoping for feed back from Lauren before the thread became a cold case.;)

10. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I'm pretty sure she's still at work...

11. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

I believe she is at work (so says her status) :p

12. GiGi

GiGi Guest

My pony is a licker, but tonight he was so happy to see me it became just a little nip, quick smack round the chops and he was quickly reminded of the boundaries again :) No problem with rugging though, although I got him a new rug today and when I unwrapped it in front of him, he was off ! Bloomin terrified of it. I left it hanging next to his feed bin and it took him 15 mins to come back to his feed, snorting and carrying on. Funny buggers **)

13. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

The dandy brush trick is a beauty, I have used it before myself. You don't need to look at the horse, you just go about what you are doing and they don't see it as "you" punishing them, its just a consequence of their acton. I don't believe, slapping, kicking, hitting, or whacking a horse stops them biting. I have seen horses whacked for months everytime they bite ...they still do it. Maybe she is over being rugged, handled, girthed and is just trying to tell you who knows. If only they could talk. Or if only we would listen :))

14. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Where to even start :rolleyes:

Just got back from work.. left home at 10am this morning, so haven't been able to reply all day. Longest shift ever - oh well, more stuff for Bess.

Umm ok.

Bess bit Ash at Log Fence ode, I realised about a week later that Bess was sore.
    I stopped riding her, got the chiro out, and got Jackie out.
    She was indeed sore through her girth and her neck.
    J pointed out that it wasn't soreness from a particular issue, just the fact that she's an older girl with a sway back. We then decided that Bess would benefit from regular bowen, and she has since had regular sessions - and will continue to.

Ask anyone who knows her.. when she's in season she sprays at geldings when walking past. She backs into geldings with her tail up.. she also lets horses mount her. Ok she's a slurry in other words. She's extremely grouchy when in season, she'll be in the paddock and you'll walk past and she'll pull a grouchy face. The next day she's back to being a complete smooch and just wants to cuddle. This behavious isn't just towards me - it's to anyone, including horses who she is usually best mates with.

Since the regular bowen she is no where near as bitey.
    If you do the girth up quick she will bite. If you put it on gentley and slowly she has no problem. I'm having an issue atm with a girth for my jump.. I've found she likes the anti pressure girths.. however because they're so elasticated I need one which is fairly short.. this means that it has to be put on fairly snug straight away so doesn't give her that chance to get use to it. If I buy a longer one then I can't get it done tight enough to stop the saddle moving. I'm going to buy her a cair girth, however seeing so they're uh.. half the price of my actual saddle.. and a pretty big risk (she might not like that anymore than her current girth) I need to wait a few more weeks til I'm a bit more financial.

Someone mentioned girths - so in reply.. she has an anti pressure girth for her jump, and a anti pressure no girth gall elastic one for her dressage.. she also is ridden in a gel pad.

What I learnt from this thread..
    Not to make threads asking for advice *#) ;)
    Nah.. but in all seriousness this thread has just confused the absolute crap outa me haha..

Hit her. Don't hit her. Take off rugs. Add rugs. Feed her. Don't feed her. Leave her be. Nah get in her face. She's sore. She isn't sore.

Yeah.. super confused.
    In all honesty.. I'll talk to Gaia about soreness more.
    I'll suggest that when Mum goes down to the horses (very rare) that she ties Bess up whilst rugging. Leon doesn't seem to upset that my horse continues to try and eat her *#) So once pain is ruled out, I try to do some groundwork with Bess and establish my position as alpha. In the meantime I buy people wine whenever Bess bites them.

And my brain can't work at this hour.. I'm sure I'm bound to offend some people by not taking their advice, but honestly the advice given is SO conflicting and contrary that I can't even begin to know where to start.

Uh so thanks everyone for confusing me ;) (tongue in cheek).
    Can this thread die now? lol

15. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

& Hen ;)
    Bess looks forward to biting.. I mean seeing you on Saturday haha.

16. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Oh and just because

Bess now famous love bite
    [​IMG]

17. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

PMSL!!!! I'll bring her a treat, bit of bribery never goes astray :D I like Bess, I have respect for the old lady. She has earned her rights to a bit of grumpiness I reckon :p God knows I bite sometimes and no-one has (dared) hit me yet? *#) and I ain't even that old ... imagine what I'll be like at 70 mwahaha.

18. DNDKatherine

DNDKatherine New Member

Just quickly, Lauren... with your short pressure-eze girth, maybe you could do it up a bit, walk her around, do it up some more etc ? So she loosens up and relaxes a little before you do it another notch or two... if you haven't tried that already, of course :)

19. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Though very disapointed you aren't doing the xc lesson!

Maybe I should do 2 jump lessons so I can do sj with you, & xc with Dianne!

20. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I do this, but even the loosest (is that even a word?) hole is still fairly snug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.