Biting Fly (Stable Fly) sprays/pour-ons...what works and what doesn't?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by manocaaron, Feb 22, 2014.

1. manocaaron

manocaaron Well-known Member

we've always had a few biting flies here around our area but it seams that every year it gets worse. This year its been unbearable to watch my horses galloping around a paddock on a hot day when its only 9am. with a 6 week old foal in tow. Ive watched my foal receive a kick to his head whilst trying to suckle. Ive seen them try to eat at the hay rolls only to have to bolt back to the stable to get away from the flies.
    Im at my whits end, emailing my shire on a daily basis and they still have not gone to check the market garden across the road- whom Im 99% convinced are the cause.

Anyway, today I bought a product called "DeltaFly Easy-dose" its a pour on product that is marketed for cattle but on the label it states for horses as well- it apparently works for 1 week with horses and 3 weeks for cattle. so Ive put it on mine today and will see if it helps.

has anyone else found a long term solution? and by long term I mean anything longer than five minutes- thinking more along the lines of daily or more...

2. manocaaron

so, does no one else with horses around Perth (or elsewhere) have Biting Flies?(Stable Flies)

3. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

There is a stable fly action group and they would love to hear from you. They will go and investigate the source of the outbreak. Google them and you should get some info on them. If you don't let me know and I will try and get a phone number for you.

4. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

5. manocaaron

been a member of theirs for several years now :) and yes they are more helpful than the shire in most cases....

I was at n Endurance clinic at Riverside Pony Club yesterday for lectures and demonstrations most of the day then we rode a 10km circuit around the area....from 7.30am to 5.30pm I can tell you I did not see one single fly, none, nothing! I wondered why so many horses had fly rugs on when there was not a single fly in the area... all I can say is you folks are so lucky...your bridle trails are great and you don't have flies!

6. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

I use ZITCH pour on every 6 weeks and when riding I just give a quick spray of the legs with outdoor fogger. Works a treat even with my so ever sensitive mini gelding. :D I find the purpose made fly sprays useless.

7. Angimac

Angimac Well-known Member

I have used Swift pour on, but someone's horse got really very sick, and you have to be careful that it does not run down their legs and they use them to rub their face. It says on the bottle to ring the vet if the stuff gets near their eyes.

I also tried to track down the stable fly traps (not the big expensive ones), a distributor was suppost to be importing them, but even thou they did months of testing before going to chicken farmers, horse people etc they wanted more testing done.

I found an importer in Queensland I think, sent them an email regarding cost to WA but got no reply.

8. manocaaron

Angimac, be careful about what trap you try to buy as some of the ones developed overseas have not been successful with our biting flies.
    I took part in a trial with a few different traps last year and the most effective was the white board with very sticky film on it.

THe nature of these flies is after they have fed they will land on a flat vertical white surface to rest and digest....so most effective is something that makes them stick to the surface or something that kills them when they land. Permethrin (not Pyrethrin) is best for that but it has to fairly strong.

I had David Cook (the Entomologist from the dept of Ag) here yesterday and he is trialling some other types of sticky film.... placed on a rectangle of white core flute (available from Bunnings for around $9) however we're not convinced this sticky film is sticky enough, so need to try another type.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  9. Angimac

Angimac Well-known Member

Manocaaron were any of the traps used white cylinder shaped (a bit like the green plant protectors) and attached to a stake?
    Also there is one the comes with its own stand and there is a handle so you can hang it as well.

10. manocaaron

Angimac, yes I tried both of them...the hanging one was less effective. the one on the stake more so however Mr Cook said the same sticky film (from the cylinder) on a flat white board worked better than the cylinder as the cylinders base colour is not white but an opaque colour.

11. realalvin

realalvin New Member

We are having a terrible stable fly season, I buy the fly mask for my boy every year. they fit him well, he doesn't get overly hot in it and it does help him free from flies.