Big head and tropical grasses

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Hayley, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

For those of you that have horses grazing on tropical pasture such as buffle grass, what do you add into your feeds to prevent "big head"?

Thanks

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Feed 3 - 4 bickies of lucerne hay daily and the calcium intake should be adequate. :)*

Adding 2 good tablespoons of calcium carbonate (limestone) and 1 good tablespoon of DCP daily to the hard feed will also work if calcium uptake/pasture type is highly deficient. But it is not as palatable as lucerne. :rolleyes:

Consult your vet if in doubt. **)

3. manocaaron

manocaaron Well-known Member

Big Head is also caused from 24/7 grazing on Kikuyu grass.
    Ive seen a pony and a donkey with it! very weird to look at but once they had been removed from that pasture the deformity slowly corrected itself.
    I think the man had them in that paddock with nothing else to eat at all- no hay or hard feed- they were in great condition and he was unaware of the problem until it was very obvious.

4. La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita Active Member

What is 'big head'? My horse has recently developed lumps on either side of his face along his jawline and I have no idea what they are. They feel like either muscle (they're not) or a reasonably stiff cyst (not wobbly). They don't seem to bother him, but it worries me. He has only had it for the last week or so. Is he getting a big head?

5. Rosinante

Rosinante Active Member

Take a look at this ...

Veresdale Equine Veterinary Services - Bighead Disease

6. La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita Active Member

7. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

also some horses get grass glands, which can be mistaken for big head, see a vet first. careful not to over feed calcium as it can cause reduced uptake of other vital nutrients. Mine are on Kikuyu and get 1 scoop of pellets to balance out the calcium, no lucern as they dont do well on it