Big Girls Can Ride Too

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Fluffy, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Antyk

Antyk Well-known Member

Sharaway, three words that might help you handle him, jacks, chocolate and marshmallows lol.

2. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Pmsl I will have to put a Caddi care package together for the royal lol.

3. Antyk

Antyk Well-known Member

Thats it, whenever we go to a dressage clinic I always make sure I have the three above ingredients, and if there is no way to keep the marshmallows frozen, then swap them for lollies, this is why we take the truck, fridge for the jacks and freezer for the marshmallows and chocolate.

4. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Frozen Marshmellows? thats a new one to me.

I will bring the Jack Daniels flavoured Chocolate, kill 2 with one there.

5. Fluffy

Fluffy New Member

Hey guys I'm really happy to have read all you posts (Including caddi's :p ) I jumped on the scales this morning and I'm at 109kg, which is way to much. Buy the end of the year i want to be at least 75kg. so wish me luck girls. By the wasy i loved all your pics. You gals all look happy in the pics and thats what counts. I'm really pleased (and surprised) at how many of us gals are out there.:))

6. up4thechase

up4thechase Active Member

six or seven years ago I went to equine tafe ( I was 95kgs) and it was all good for the first 3 or 4 months then I got called in to the office and told that if I wanted to continue riding their horses I would have to get my doctor to write a medical certificate to say that it was "safe" for me to ride at my weight. Then when I produced the medical certificate to one of the lecturers with my mum I was then told it was cruelty to animals if I rode their horses. I was absolutely heartbroken as horses were my WHOLE entire life. Why was it fine for them to take my money when I enrolled, they saw how big I was then? There was also a male in my class that was heavier than what I was and a girl a few kg less than me but I looked bigger cause of the way I carry my weight (all in front in my belly). I was also asked to make a brochure for the TAFE to include a weight limit in the selection criteria, which I didn't do cause at this stage I was angry at the whole situation. I pretty much stopped riding after that until my partner bought me a horse a year ago cause he got sick of hearing me talk about them all the time. I haven't done much riding yet but I am slowly getting back in to it. I do a lot of ground work. I am constantly seeking reassurance from my instructor and ppl that I am in no way hurting my horse. I was glad to see this post and realise I'm not the only big lady rider out there. 3 cheers for all us larger riders.

7. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

aw, up4thechase! that's awful that you got put off for so long. yuck @ TAFE ppl.
    glad you're getting into ponies again, mate.

8. up4thechase

Thanks Blitzen. It was the most depressing time of my life. I went for the occassional ride but it wasn't the same. I was always so aware of my weight and in a subconscious response which I later realised I was kinda bracing myself off the saddle instead of relaxing in to it. But I'm back in to it now and I'm going to see everyone out showing very shortly. Yeehaa.

9. up4thechase

Go Fluffy and great post btw. I might join you in the losing weight department. Winter hasn't been kind :-(

10. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

That is bloody wrong! I hope you lodged a complaint!! Fluffy I was 103kg on Australia Day(scared myself!!) and now am down to 78kg so it can be done!! Just find whatever works for you-no faddy crap!! You all look great:D

11. PPH

PPH Guest

I agre3, surely this is discrimination and you know what, I don't think I'd WANT to do their horse course if theis is the veiw they have. Now if you were a bloke would they have said the same thing. Bloody hell, I mean , these are 4 to 500 kilo animals wer'e talking about. Probably not the best comparison but I'm 95 kg and I can carry my 25 kilo daughter around on my hip quiet comfortably for long periods. She's roughly a quarter of my weight.

And have you seen the loads that they put on pack animals? Far heavier and less balanced than a rider.

My Hootch is only 14.2 hh but he's very solid and had no problem what so ever in carrying me. In fact he's a real little powerhouse lol. I've had his back checked every 6 months or so and try to mount, where possible, from a step up, simply so i don't pull on his backand so far no problems what so ever.

Pitty you could'nt do a study to DISprove their theory on heavy riders

12. up4thechase

Thanks ladies. I thought about putting a complaint in, had the paperwork and all filled in but I didn't go through with it. I should have when I look back cause I would hate it if they did it to someone else. Kick myself now for not doing it though.

13. Chaffcutter

Chaffcutter New Member

well I think a heavy rider, who is balanced in the saddle, is far kinder than a skinny rider who has poor balance and may lean on the mouth and just be "in the way"..

14. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

TAFEs weight cut off is 80kg to ride, other than that you are only allowed to do harness, or if you want to ride you ahve to bring your own horse.

15. Riffraff

Riffraff New Member

is that 80 kg cut off for both women and men? or just women?

16. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

for both
    mostly the guys dont get to ride, as of course, most guys are bigger than that!

17. Fiestymama08

Fiestymama08 Well-known Member

First I have to say WELCOME!!! to fluffy and that you should be proud of what you have achieved and it has nothing to do with your size. And to Andhi I say well done and you look awesome on Jazz and on your other horse also. I too have a weight problem and it is worse than most of you (175 kg) I have not been in the saddle for about 18 yrs mostly because my circumstances didn't allow for it although I've never lost my passion for horses or wanting to ride. I wouldn't be game enough to get on a horse ATM simply because I would consider it an act of cruelty on my part lol. I would maybe consider it if I could get a clydie the size of NODDY (worlds biggest horse) and of course a sizeable ladder or crane to get me up there. lol But I really admire the way you girls and (guys) give it your best shot and not only that you leave most of the beam poles out there for dead. My ultimate dream would be to lose enough weight so I could go riding with my Daughter Dizzy_8. In the meantime though I'll just have to be content watching her learn and build her own special relationship and love for horses. LOve that song BIG GIRLS sing it loud and proud sisters!!!!! :)* @) **)

18. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Just read this thread for the first time and you girls are an inspiration. I wont compete because I think I look too big but maybe I just need to get out there lol.

These are at the last competition I was brave enought to go to lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. KDS

KDS Well-known Member

haha whenever i hear that song i always lol at the 'diet coke and a pizza please' bit :D

20. Fiestymama08

Fiestymama08 Well-known Member

Nothing wrong with the way you look simbin (wish I looked that good I would be out there LOL) now that would be a sight to see lol. YOU GO GIRL!!!!! :)*