Big Girls Can Ride Too

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Fluffy, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Fluffy

Fluffy New Member

:)* Lately I've notice alot more bigger girls out riding and competing (Sucessfully too) I'm a big girl and have ridden for some years now and i'm now a racehorse trainer who rides her own work. I'v copped alot of shit over the years for being overweight in the horsey world but........... YOU KNOW WHAT When it came to working in the racing stables and riding the mad horses I was the person they turned to. So us big girls need a break. As long as your not hurting the horse in anyway why can't we be good riders. Over the years i've had horses none of mine have had sore backs because of my weight. And I'd always be the first one at the stables in the morning to start my job and the last one to leave. People have to understand some people aren't fat because there eating to much maybe it's a medical reason. I'm allergic to horses and so i have to take steriods to control my asthma and hay fever. So come on girls saddle up and tell me how you feel.:)) View attachment 3782

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  2. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

I don't think there is any reason for you to justify yourself here matey. You look great and i am so glad for you that you do what you love.:)

I am a person who struggles with weight and i actually feel a bit unsafe when on a horse, so i won't ride until i am down to a size that i am comfortable with, so hats off to you! You go girl!!!

3. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

you and your horse look lovely together and i dont think your that big at all. good on you for proving all those negetive people wrong:)*

any more pics of you and your horse?

4. caddilac man

caddilac man Well-known Member

where's the BIG girl?

5. smash

smash Well-known Member

welcome fluffy,
    not to sure why to outburst.
    has someone on here said or accused you of something???
    or you just letting off steam???
    i will say, i dont think anyone cares what weight anybody else is, as they get to wrapped up in there own weight to worry about anyone elses.
    you are what you are, you achieve what you achieve.
    you blame what you blame.
    i have never understood, why weight is blamed for so much OR why you would atribute something to weight?
    if YOU did something good, well it is because YOU put the effort into it, and the congratulations should be to you as a person, not what you look like or what you weigh, but you as a person.
    anyway, good luck hope you have a great day
    cheers

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Well done Fluffy and welcome to stockyard.
    I'm looking forward to following this thread because no doubt there will be quite a few inspirational stories told showing girls / ladies to be proud of themselves and get out there and give things a go because they may not realise just how much tallent they have that they may be holding back.

7. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

You look great trust me.

I am a big girl, bigger than you. My attitude of late has been I am damm proud of what I have achieved especially in the past 6 months. When I bought Harry I looked for a horse with more bone to accomodate my weight, and everyone else can jump in all honesty.

This is me just over a year ago when I first bought Jazz (excuse the absolute crap position)
    [​IMG]

and Jazz a few months before I sold her to Arnie
    [​IMG]

And now with my new big boofhead (in my old too large jackt)
    [​IMG]

And 2 weeks ago at Wanneroo Showjumping
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As a bigger girl I am constantly aware that my balance may not always be as good, that I have to be extra vigilent with Harry's back etc. So I don't do a lot of sit trot - and won't until I lose more weight - its just not fair on him. And I don't ask him to jump to high yet either, one cause I need to get my confidence back and two cause its just not fair to jump him the heights he used to jump with his former little itty bitty owner.

:D

8. caddilac man

what we ALL got to remmember.......
    body image is just that!!
    an image
    at the end of the day... it means jack sh**

9. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

Hi fluffy

welcome to stockies :)*

i think you and your horse look great, and as long as your happy within yourself and healthy who gives a RATS what anybody else thinks??

just because your not a size 8 doesnt mean you arent fit and healthy, my god i know a girl who's tiny but so unfit she couldnt run to the mail box!!

you look and sound like a smart girl so if people are hassling you just keep proving em wrong :)*

10. Fluffy

Fluffy New Member

Thanks Guys

No, No one on here has said anything i was actually reading a thread were a lady said she was too fat to open a gate and i thought bugger it i'm letting loose haha.:D And i wanted to here from other people about this issue because no one i ride with is over weight there all skinny minnis.:p

11. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

LOL that was me, i was having difficulty bending down and reaching the gate chain cause of my gut. But no more!

12. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

Sorry I just want to interrupt to say Andhi OMG Jazz changed sooo much. She looks amazing in that second photo!! And I still have a soft spot for Harry as he really reminds me of a gelding we used to have agisted at the stud.

13. smash

smash Well-known Member

he he he fluffy, well look who you are hanging around with LOL LOL
    damn JOCKEYS lol
    *smash opens the gate, to show fluffy the REAL world*
    WELCOME
    see we all come in different shapes and sizes.
    enjoy the new world
    cheers

14. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

hehe, didn't she just :) I was and still am very proud of her, and can't wait to see her progress with Arnie.

15. Medalleon

Medalleon New Member

And I will make no apologies for interupting to say OMG Andhi looks amazing in that second pic too... Just look at the amount of weight she has lost between the first and second pics! And I would suggest it is all down to her hard work and commitment to her riding.

Andhi, I don't know you personally but I have seen enough of your posts to realise that you have struggled and persevered with your riding at times. So it is great to see that you are achieving on your own merits.... "Big" girl or not. Well done!:)*

16. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

oooh you all look LOVELY!!!

andhi you look fantastic jumping there... and fluffy hey there :D im annie

17. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

I second what Playin With Fire said, that second pic of Jazz is just lovely. Well done she was a credit to you:)*

Fluffy, you go girl!! You neddn't feel like you cant ride and ride well just because you are a bit (and I'll say a bit because you are not that big!! iykwim??) bigger than others. **)

18. PPH

PPH Guest

I know what you mean Fluffy. I have always been on the solid side, even when at a healthier weight and now after 3 cezarians, trying to lose the extra kilo's is not easy. i find one of the biggest hindrances is my chest puppies. lol lol You have to sit trot when cutting on a cow because if they turn and go with the cow when your on a rise, then bye bye horsie rofl.
    Also cause major back aches and just plain get in my way.

But their are always the offhand comments you sometimes hear or the way some ppl look at you that sticks in your mind to serve as a reminder that you are on the large side.

this is my stallion Hootch and I at the Morning Sun Ranch Cutting Comp on last weekend. The pic is Saturday and I'm turnbacking for another rider and the video is our second cow of Sundays run (we scored 68 and won the Novice Two Handed).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  19. caddilac man

hey bucking mad
    I could help with your problem...... by holding down any loose objects, pmsl

20. PPH

PPH Guest

Theres always one roflmao

Can you hold yourself down Caddy lol lol lol