Best sand for horse yards?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Eli13, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Eli13

Eli13 New Member

Hey guys,
    Looking for a bit of guidance here. Our yards are currently boggy/sloppy and not drying out well at all.
    What do people recommend for well draining sand that is still soft on the feet and doesn't act like a suction cap?
    Our base rock if coffee rock so we have to build up rather than scrape down for a new base :/
    Affordable would be nice, but washed riversand seems to be the best so far. But I'm led to believe it's a bit exxy.
    Thoughts?
    Ta!

2. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

We've got white washed sand at the moment and it gets really water logged and sloppy. Once the roof is finished over my walk outs I'll be taking out the white sand and putting in riversand with sawdust.

Can't use only sawdust here as the wind will just take if off into never, never land but the mix of riversand and sawdust is quite nice (have seen it in other uncovered walk out yards) seems to drain well and is easy to clean.

3. macklin dramero

macklin dramero New Member

We just had all our trees trimmed and professionally mulched and used the wood chip for the walk in walk outs, worked out very economical.