Best Bit for Mouthing

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by CharlieChick, Aug 15, 2011.

1. CharlieChick

CharlieChick Active Member

Hay,

What is the best bit for mouthing ?? Also what bits are considered soft ?:)*

2. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Bits are only as soft as the hands attatched to them. Timeing and feel is all that matters, with ANYTHING going though the mouth of a horse. Rope, twisted wire, ect ect can all be soft.

Generally - the thinner the bit, the softer the hands need to be, and their isnt much need to be harsh anyway - but the thicker the bit, the more uncompfortable your horse could be with no pressure on the bit at all. Their honestly isnt as much spare room in a horses mouth as we like to think.....

But start looking in the range of snaffles or mylers.

I personally like the FM snaffle - or a similar myler. ALWAYS use with rubber tubeing over the cheek points for mouthing.

3. CharlieChick

CharlieChick Active Member

**)Thank you :)

4. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

FM or tom thumb - tom thumb has similar cheek points to FM but shorter and will sit slightly flatter against the outside of his cheek.

5. pso

pso Gold Member

I always mouth in the bit I intend the horse to train on with...KKUltra ;)

6. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

I was under the impression that the tom thumb pinched? Could be wrong..

I would suggest the spregner kk loose ring. Love it! Changed the whole attitude of my riding horse .. fantastic. :)

7. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

I'm going to try a full-cheek french link snaffle - just ordered one online :)