Beginner showmanship pattern event

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Noelle, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Any one got advice on what is involved in the type of classes which will be held at the Appaloosa Silver Buckle on 29 June?

I am hoping this will be Reilly's first show and would like some idea what to expect. I did fence sit some time ago but didnt pay much attention, or maybe even missed, the halter classes (as I wasnt expecting to do that type of stuff then :p ).

On the program under halter there is:

Mare/filly - any age
    Gelding """""

Beginner showmanship (pattern event)
    Novice showmanship (pattern event)

Anyone know what is the difference?

Even if we get him in the one halter class (geldings that is), just getting him out and experiencing the environment should be good for him, hopefully.

Any advice would be appreciated please.

2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

basically it was walk to a cone trot in a straight line to another cone then for novice you turned right and cantered. one class had you do an s shape. that was what the silver buckle in may was

3. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

As this comes under Halter am I right in assuming the horse is being lead?

4. chick_with_a_chainsaw

the halter class pattern was walk to one cone, trot to the next cone then round to form a line

5. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Thanks Chick with a chainsaw

Are you going to go to the show? What classes did you enter in the May show?

Are any others planning on going?

6. chick_with_a_chainsaw

no im not going in this one dont even know where it is. i did all the novice events and the open mare and filly halter class. had a great day

7. Imperial

Imperial Well-known Member

dont get showmanship and horsemanship mixed up.:p

in showmanship you are judged on You. if i remember from last year you walk to the first cone, jog to the next then stop and present your horse to the judge. watch others as you dont just stand there and make your horse look pretty while the judge walkes around and looks at you both. you must Always be on the oppoisite side that the judge is on.

i think in amature you are required to to a turn (not as easy as it sounds!)

8. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Thanks for the tip Imperial. My daughter will be showing Reilly so will let her know. It is the first show for both of them (1st halter show for my daughter) so it will be a learning experience all round. So long as they dont look like total gooses :p .

9. scotchmel

scotchmel New Member

Actually you should use the quarter method! So if the judge is at the horses rear say on the nearside you should be standing on the nearside and when he moves to the offside hind you then move over to the offside, you move to the opposite side of the horse once the judge reaches the wither.

Sorry it is hard to explain whilst typing!!:p

Good luck for the show!

10. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Thanks scotchmel, have passed it onto my daughter.