Beet pulp

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Faxie, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Anyone had issues with beet pulp causing digestive upset or issues?

Had my guys on it for few weeks for weight gain however it doesn't seem to be working and they are looking very tucked up.. So I've ceased using it for now just in case..

Opinions?

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

I highly doubt it is the beet pulp. It has been widely fed throughout Europe and the USA for decades. The odd horse may get an allergic reaction from it, but that is very rare. ';'

I would be leaning towards the winter weather and the cold, and horses perhaps not drinking enough. Hence the tucked up look. Impaction colic can result with horses not drinking enough also. :unsure:

We have put out salt blocks in mid winter to encourage better hydration. So far so good. :)*

3. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

How are they loving their low-sugar hay Faxie? ;)

There isn't much goodness in the grass at the moment, are they not eating the volume of tasty hay they were used to?

I've been loving the cold weather, it's the only thing that's keeping my fatties from exploding,

4. Akubra

Akubra New Member

I've used speedibeet for years on a variety of different horses and always had good results. I dont use it on its own for weight gain but in conjunction with other feeds. I have never heard of it causing gut issues besides some having runny poos when they change feed. Hope you can find the answer for your ponies :)

5. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Hey BB they absolutely hating the low sugar hay lol! So much so I've gone back to oaten hay for a couple of weeks just to get some weight on and roughage into them... :( hmm yes could be the cold and them not drinking.. But never seen this before but they have never been this underweight.

Thanks for your replies everyone, helps me try and nut this out..

6. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

Which one?

7. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Milne beet pellets..

They've been off it a week now and tucked up couple times since then, so it seems perhaps not the beet.. Plus they arent whinnying for their feed anymore lol! Seems they really liked it!! Let u know how we go, I started them back on it tonight. Considering it is a soaked feed really it should help with hydration I would think?

See how we go will post in a few days..

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013