Bee Sting? Help

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Rikki+Sasha, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Rikki+Sasha

Rikki+Sasha Active Member

Hey Everyone,

Hoping someone can help, when I went down to see my mare yesterday she was fine and when I went down today her eye has blown up, could this be a bee sting? or something else, and is there anything I can do for it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a happy girl #(

[​IMG]

2. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

Did you see the bee sting in it anywhere? Could be just about anything but being the panic merchant I am I would be straight on the phone to the vet. Eyes aren't something I would want to take risks with - better to be safe than sorry.

3. Rikki+Sasha

no I couldn't see anything in there and she was pretty reluctant to let me get near it, oviously because it's sore. Yes I will call the vet tomorrow, I agree it's not something I want to risk either but never seeing this before wasn't sure if you'd be able to tell through a pic.
    thanks for your response :)

4. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Can't tell if that's lots of flies around her? Three times my horse has done the same to his eye just by rubbing it. Twice he had a superficial corneal ulcer (either causing or caused by the rubbing) and once he was super itchy from an insect sting and had come out in hives. It blew up in a matter of minutes, on one occasion his conjunctiva swelled up like a strawberry hanging out his eye too, of course that was the time we were on a sheep station 600km from home and a vet :( but my amazing first aid kit saved the day.

But deffo vet, I don't mess with eyes either as they can go wrong very quickly. And it's fly mask time, it will prevent further rubbing and flies attacking it, as well as shading a possibly photophobic ulcerated eye.

5. Rikki+Sasha

Thanks blackbat, I will be giving the vet a call tomorrow... and no not flies, thats her spots, she has Appy in her ;)

6. Seahorse

Seahorse Well-known Member

My horse did exactly the same thing a few weeks ago: we didn't know if it was a sting or if she'd just banged it on something.

We flushed her eye out for a couple of days with some eyedrops from the vet, and gave her some antihistamine powder in her feed as well. She was back to normal within 2 days.

But yes, do get the vet just in case. Eyes aren't something to be messed with...

7. Rikki+Sasha

Just to update everyone, I called the vet out and they couldn't find anything in her eye but by the next day it had completely gone down so they just told me to keep an eye on it and nothing has changed thank god :)
    happy pony again

8. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

For future reference, one Polaramine tablet is great for bee stings! :)*

9. Rikki+Sasha

Thanks Caroline I will keep that in mind

10. realalvin

realalvin New Member

I moved my 15yr TB across the state. He is currently in Gunnedah which has high temp in Summer . I have to say those flies are annoying! I tried many fly masks but they are not what he want! Breathability is the biggest problem!This time my wife’s friend gave him a new one which he can breathefreely.its namedHarrison howard I guess . Its definitely good. recommendations only.