Balancing on reins...

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by JustJam, May 3, 2010.

1. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Bit of a problem lol

Well, well, well! :) Lex, really, really pleased this thread has helped you a bit... there really has been some absolutely awesome advice/instruction given here! Where do we send the cheques? lol

Kathera - I will be in touch! I have now moved and am over the moon with new place! We will have to try to arrange something together!

smash, Corney & others... ummmm.... I have a bit of a problem! lol :eek:

I have had my boy 2 & 1/2 years... and every ride has been exactly like riding a run-away camel! Dangerous and just miserable. Not kidding! It's been a dreadful battle!!

I have ridden my boy twice at the new place now... putting into practice all the fabulous advice given here - and by phone! @)

I think things have finally fallen into place and I now get it - and so does my boy! (pitcher, catcher, batter! lol ;)). After about 15 minutes, we have softness! We have a frame! We have lovely, swinging forward! Awesome!! Just awesome!! Can't express my thrilldomness enough! lol **)

Trouble is... I have never ridden him (or any other horse!) that has been like this! No weight at all in the reins, swinging & forward, yet still soft and responsive! ... and I go into panic mode!! roflmao :eek: I ride him a further 3 or 4 minutes and call it a day... I'm terrified of spoiling it!! I'm serious! rofl

Now that I am in a position to, it is time to get a new instructor out, find someone who can help me learn how to actually ride a horse (as opposed to a camel lol)... cos I really don't know how to ride this! hahaha... how embarrasment! lol

It's just going to take some time for me to get used him moving like this, I guess... in the meantime, he is loving himself stupid and enjoying his transformation from a run-away camel, into a lovely horse!! :)

Thank you!!!!!

2. smash

smash Well-known Member

ha ha ha, yes the base ball game is AMAZING !!!!!!!
    so glad everything has fallen into place.
    it is easy to understand this concept, but takes time to for your body to work out what it is and isnt supose to do LOL

just so glad you and rev have found communication and understanding of each other.
    give yourself time to get comfortable with this "new" moving Rev.
    it will become second nature soon, and you will soon expect nothing but this new Rev.
    you will find as you start to feel comfortable, you will increase your riding to 5 minutes LOL LOL no seriously, dont rush into lessons until you feel more comfortable, then both you and Rev, will both feel comfortable learning from an instructor.
    if you try rushing into lessons before you feel comfortable, the pressure of trying to do the right thing "all the time" becomes to hard for both of you.
    just relax, and enjoy your new horse until you feel confidence within yourself.
    really happy that things have fallen into place for you JJ

3. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

That is FAB JJ....now just be confident in yourself that you CAN find that ew Rev again when you hop on next;)

Also when you DO get that great feeling on him....close your eyes for a few strides and feel him underneath you, let your muscles remember the feel, close off the world to the sensation and listen to your body and his body for those few strides. This is called muscle memory...your muscles (and your brain) have to rememebr what that feeling is like and how you are using them in that point of time to get to where you are...gees hope this makes sense.

Also at night, before you go to sleep, rememebr riding him like that, think about different parts of your body and how he felt. By doing this, you help seal in the memory, and by riding in your mind, you will get more practiced.

Hope all this makes sense....I have overcome a lot of fears and training problems by riding it through in my mind at night...coz half the time it is US as riders, not the horse...Good Luck;)

4. JustJam

smash & Babe :) Yes, I see what you are both saying... Chill! lol Relax, feel and take some time to get used to us riding this 'new' way. That is very reassuring advice actually... funnily enough, it takes the pressure off to 'push for more' before feeling confident and comfortable with where we are now - if that makes sense. **)

(Babe... I do usually do the 'visualisation' before I fall asleep... usually a low-level dressage test... but even in my imagination I ended up riding a run-away camel! rofl ;) I should be able sleep better now I am riding a horse! hahaha) :))

5. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Yay! So happy for you :D !!

Totally agree with what's been said. I would also hold off with lessons, at least until you are comfortable for at least half an hour (because you can have 30min lessons).

Also, resist the temptation to shorten your reins. It's very easy to think you're out of control, and that you need more weight in your hands, because your horse has started to go light. But you don't. He's light because he's working from behind. Experiment with you seat ;)

6. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Yay!!! Congrats JJ!!! Hahha just relax and enjoy!!!

7. JustJam

Thanks, Corny!!! :)) :) That is also great advice (and something that I had wondered about) Thanks! Must admit I have been tempted to shorten the reins... mainly cos I just wasn't sure what to do! lol I haven't shortened the reins... and now know not too. What you said makes sense! Thanks!

Thanks Beauvelour! And, ummm... *cough*... as I recall *#), you were an 'accomplice' in this thread too!! rofl How are you going????? Would love to know!! :D :))

8. lex

lex Well-known Member

Wow..FANTASTIC ride today! penny is dropping and all my hard work is starting to come together finally :)
    Making my own thread so you can all see, few vids too smash ;) but they are more "hoony" then anything :)

9. Beauvelour

Hehehe Bangers is going really good!!:)*. Its amazing that once i starting putting leg aide on my position FELT soooo much better. (im guilty of not riding with my legs enough!) And what do you know my elbows ended up and my sides where they should be and like cornflower said i have to resist the temptation to shorten my reins:rolleyes: Now when i put my legs on he goes "oooh i know what to do here" and pops into a frame.

Its funny today we had a training day and it was bangers first time in a group situation "blocked" in by horses and the horse in front of him was being a lunatic, so mum gets nervous and sits there waiting for an explosion - bangers gets tense and hollows out mum goes hmm :confused: agggh yes "light bulb moment" im just sitting there and not "riding my horse". I put legs on expecting us to shoot forward and Bangers goes "oh thank god thats what im meant to be doing" and relaxes. So then we continue around the arena in a nice frame "massaging" his mouth and concentrate on our straghtness and bend around corners. Hahah sorry gone off on a tangent again*#) But all is great here, would love to get some piccies but i have to find someone to do it for me hahah

10. smash

smash Well-known Member

oh beauvelour, that is fantastic to hear.
    i am so glad everything is working out for you and bangers.
    sounds like you are now thoroughly enjoying yourself and i can see the pride and satisfaction in yourself from here !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    well done mate

11. Beauvelour

Thanks so much Smash - I had so many people come up to me and say wow he was so good, and another lady told me i should be so proud of him!!! I am absolutely over the moon!!! Its so nice to be moving forward every ride - we sometimes come to a wall but we always get over it (this usually involves me taking a step back and re-assessing my postion and the way i ride and the wall disappearing hahaha)

12. smash

smash Well-known Member

it is so nice to hear others compliment you on your accomplishments.
    WELL DONE BEAUVERLOUR !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    now you know photos are a MUST !!!!!

13. JustJam

Lex! That is just great to hear! Good for you!! :) Can you PM me the link to your 'progress' thread... or post it here? I would hate to miss seeing it!! **) Besides, 'hoony' is fun too! rofl :D

Hey Beauvelour!! :) How cool is that!! Just so excited for you!! I totally get the 'training day' experience... and the excitement you must have felt when you had the 'light-bulb' moment... and it worked!! YAY!! **) And, I'm sorry... but you just have to find someone to take some videos! Can't wait to see!! :))

Onwards and upwards!... or is that Onwards and Forwards?! lol :)*

14. lex

lex Well-known Member

15. JustJam

Thanks, Lex!! Off to have a look!! :) :))

16. Slimey94

Slimey94 Well-known Member

this thread is awesome!
    it has been amazing being able to read this.. guhh, i cant explain but.. you get what i mean :p

It's been great to hear the progress jj, Beauvelour and lex have made with their horses, :)* Well done guys!

I've been having a bit of trouble with my boy, mainly coz i am asking more, and he doesn't like doing more, and i need help with sorting out a few problems, he's a work in project, and given my inexperince, i dont expect perfection from him, and i dont ride him perfectely LOL. And what smash and conrflower have been saying about contact and legs ect has made soo much sense, i will be working on this. i have some lessons this weekend, im not sure how they will go, i dont think the instructor is suited to him, but it could be just what he needs, and its not like i can pick and chose instructors up here!

thanks so much smash and cornflower for sharing your knowledge with us! I would LOVE to have lessons with you guys! :))

17. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Take an old pair of reins to the saddler and get him to sew elastic in them - don't cut reins just make a loop near each end and get elastic sewn alongside so that when elastic is stretched reins are straight. You can see straight away if tension varies and if both the same but reins still sound for "oh S**t" moments. Also good to protect horse's mouth