Bad News Karla Fans!

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Arnie, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

yes it is always much better when the fences break rather than the horse!

2. Narbeyda

Narbeyda New Member

No you cannot wrap them up in cotton wool and not all of us can have the "state of the art" as long as we try to do the our best for them.
    We had a thunder storm a couple of years ago that spooked the horses (must have been a close lightning strike), our stallion must have been galloping round the paddock slipped under the boundary fence picking up the bottom wire between his front legs and then dragging it through nearly cutting his leg off near the inside of the elbow, not only that but a stretch of wire came with him and in his panic he dragged it round his back pasterns nearly severing them, on the same night a weanling ran into the weldmesh gate, with the bars of the weldmesh going into his mouth damaging his nasal bone and braking his lower jaw and the mare and foal in the solid timber cattle yards bashed themselves up so that they had bits of skin off everywhere, two others had small cuts on legs to this day I don't know how they got them.
    Know off a very expensive horse in Horserail fenced paddock with pine poles run into the pine pole snap it off and stake itself.
    So no-one should feel bad about some accidents that involve fencing as sometimes things just happen and you have to just take a deep breath and shrug it of and improve on what you can.

3. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Arnie you don't have to explain yourself didn't no your baby got hurt such a pretty thing.

Some people have foals in places that have fallen fences crap everywhere and never get a scratch, that just gives me the plum ducks.

Accidents happen even in a padded cell.

Janet

4. Gemgem

Gemgem Well-known Member

Its a shame the honey didnt work :( I was truely amazed by the stuff. Hopefully you get some great results with your current treatment. And you cant put them anywhere completely safe (Was it Sam+Max whos horse hurt itself in a padded stable?). Im sure you are doing the best you can for you baby :)

5. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

What a shame she re-injured herself, lets hope she keeps healing quickly.
    Like others have said you cant wrap them in cotton wool, ive lost a horse in what i thought was one of the safest paddocks around for my youngster. Post and rail with standoff electrics, my yearling rolled next to a fence and got his leg caught in the neighbours straining wire. A freak accident that no one could expect. So no matter the fencing horses will always injure themselve.
    Good luck with your filly :)

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thankyou so much guys. Your words of support is truely appretiated. Glad to hear people understand.

Here's a photo of the injury at 24 hours old. You can kind of make out where the hot wire started and how its run down her leg.
    Yes that is a flap of skin (it cut into the entire thickness of her skin) however it didn't need cutting back:

[​IMG]

And this was yesterday at 7 days old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was actually about to get organised and wean her (she's ready!) but then she hurt herself. Both Mum and herself are looking fine so I'm going to give her a little extra time for that second injury to secure itself before I wean her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

that wound is looking good now hey!

Same leg that Jings injured herself on when she was about 2 - except Jingles was far worse. Wrapped wire around her leg about 5-6 times! And yep she reinjured it as soon as it was starting to heal. A silly vet thought it would be a good idea to stitch it! so now that leg looks a little ugly LOL

But apart from a seriously ugly scar, it does not affect her movemement and soundness whatsoever!

But Karlas looks like it should end up alot nicer looking than J's!!!

She's so cute, looks all grown up!

Oh and yep that turbo braid snaps clean like anything! great stuff as it has never left a mark on my horses!

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

OUCH B&T! That must of been a bad injury to be wrapped around so many times!
    Wire is terrible stuff isn't it :(.

I agree, glad the fence snapped! Its as deep as the previous one was and could of been worse!

She only had swelling for 24 hours and no lameness so thats great :). I think the second injury should probably heal up with nearly no scarring if we're lucky!

9. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Some horses have a natural talent for injuring themselves no matter how safe the fencing!
    Solarsite(sp?) gel from the chemist is the ducks nuts on wounds (it's intended for burns in people) it''s unbelieveble how it heals things.

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

They sure do TBPA!!! And if its not the fencing then they'll do something to themselves without the aid of something else! LOL

Just a little update.
    Karla's 1st injury is now almost completely healed and I'm very happy with it :). Her second injury the flap of skin has now fused up cleanly and is no longer 'open'. Its still on the fresh side but much smaller and looking very good.

I've now removed her bandage completely as of today (after 8 weeks!) as both (well the second one) I wouldn't class as bad enough anymore to need constent bandaging. Just daily washes and treatment both injuries can get some air now and finish off healing.

I'm very happy. I rang the vet right away to let her know but she was busy but seems the receptionist knows who we are and was pretty happy to hear the news aswell! LOL

I'm very pleased she can now go back to being free and now I can get onto weaning her :D.

11. Happy Gambler

Happy Gambler Well-known Member

Thats great news, hope it all continues well :))

12. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I won't go into too much detail as yet, I'm much too distraught! But unfortunatly Karla has another run in with bad luck, seems she doesn't want to keep this leg!

She's had surgery today at the vet clinic and will be under close observation and I've been told she might have a few more surgery's yet.

Both my husband and I want to know why such a beautiful kind soul deserves this! She has safe fencing in her paddock and yet manages to do some serious damage (yet not from her fencing!). For three months I've worked on her leg, recently seeing to it twice a day and really putting effort into the healing process :(. I'm absolutly gutted.
    Good news is she's sound bad news is the size of the injury and quite some months work ahead for all of us :(.

13. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

Sorry to hear Arnie. Unfortunatly there are just some accident prone horses around. Even if you have the kept in a padded cell would still get hurt.

I spent a good 11 months getting my filly's leg to recover after stripping it to the bone. In the final days were I thought it was healed and the process would be to only grow hair back it split right open again for no apprent reason. Again got that under control then she did the same thing to the other leg! She was just not meant to be our horse she has since found a broodmare home and as far as Im aware -TOUCH WOO- has not split any more legs!

14. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

Sorry to read that Arnie, poor Karla, hope she gets through it and stops hurting herself.

15. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks guys

Not fair is it Shio :(

She's now back from the vets and doing well. Handling her first float rides just fine!
    Will take her back in about 2/3 weeks for a check up and periodicly until the vet is happy with how its healing.

$1000 vet bill in just one day :eek: but anything for my special lady :).

16. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Oh Arnie you must be ready to spit chips. Darn horses. It's amazing how some of them just keep reinjuring themselves.

Hope she heals fast adn this is hte last of the dramas.

17. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Pretty crushed to tell the truth! Its moments like these you question why you have horses but in saying that she's been nothing but an angel and a pleasure to handle and has me feeling warm and fuzzy inside with pride!

She may yet need more surgery's to fix up her leg and once all this is over she's off to be a baby for as long as she needs with a herd of horses!
    It was a very freak accident that was no-ones fault and she's certainly being spoilt and asked to keep herself out of trouble!

18. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Oh :( Sad news Arnie #( BUT, she's still sound :D

Hope she heals well and stays mended this time :)

19. Happy Gambler

Happy Gambler Well-known Member

Glad she's home! :)
    Best wishes for a swift recovery **)

20. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yep still sound :D (I say as I rub my hands sheepishly together) :p

Thanks guys :), she's doing well! Very full of beans and seems to be retaliating to the fact she needs to stay as still as possible!
    Is being moved into her stable tomorrow to keep her really still!