Bad News Karla Fans!

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Arnie, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

*WARNING Graphic Pictures*....more to come as she progress's!

I guess if I plaster it all over FB I should fill you guys in too (plus the stalkers have had a feild day! :p)...

My little Karla had a run in with the fence Wednesday night. For a moment there I froze and was absolutly brain dead! What to do with an unhandled injured filly!
    First thing I did was wack a halter on (2nd time ever lol) as it was getting dark and run for the phone.

[​IMG]

She's handling it well so far. Sedating was easy seeing as I had the rope wrapped around the gate a few times so she couldn't go anywhere.
    Vet cut away the flap of skin and its been flushed out and she's had just about every needle under the sun. Poor baby is having things rushed but we're taking it all slow and steady at the same time.
    Her first bandage change is Sunday so I'll get better photo's of the damage she's done then (once the skin was cut away it made it look worse then it was!). You could clearly see her bone and the muscle was bulging out.

I'm devistated for my beautiful girl. Was a freak accident but babies will always be babies!!! Hopefully the fact she's so young will mean a good thing when it comes to healing.
    She's done no perminent damage to anything, the worst she's done is severed a little bit of muscle which should heal up fine.

[​IMG]

So fingers crossed for Sunday's bandage change! lol

I've had alot of products recommended to me all with great results. Would love to hear other peoples experiences aswell :). I won't be able to get anything by the 1st bandage change but hopefully have something ordered in by the 2nd! Will give Belvoir a call today :).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

All I will say is keep it simple ARnie...

As you know Milly did her leg very similar in September. I had all sorts of people telling me what i should and shouldnt be using on it and if i didnt use a particular product she would grow all this proud flesh and i would be doomed forever!!!

blah blah blah blah..

Well you have seen how well its looking now (i will text you a photo of it now, tonight).. just a line where the scar is 3 months later.

I ended up hosing it daily (obviously not when it was bandaged but once bandage could stay off) and using centrigen spray. That was it.. didnt need any proud flesh cut off (as so many people told me I would HAVE to) and there is barely a scare there.

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks Max :). I've had two great products recommend to me and will give Belvior a call because I'm pretty sure they highly recommend one of these products too so will pick their brains.
    What the vet recommended I use I'm pretty sure shouldn't be used on such open wounds? When I first bought the jar (for another horse) it was stressed that it was to be put onto the proud flesh only and not touch anything else!

4. maxntaz

the green stuff?

5. maxntaz

i stopped using that once the bandages were off - im guessing that she gave you all the same stuff that she gave me... pity i could have bought over all the stuff that i have left over!!

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Dermapred yep :).

7. maxntaz

yeah, i did use it on milly while her leg was bandaged. As soon as i stopped bandaging i stopped using it, and stuck with the centrigen.

8. Lakota

Lakota Well-known Member

Poor Karla :( I hope she is feeling better soon and heals quickly. She is such a lovely girl.

9. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

Very simple.......HONEY......I swear by it .

I have some interesting info from the agricultral society to say that surgeons and doctors are now using honey in main stream medicine to treat open wounds etc........

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Really Primrose? I've used honey before but only on the wounds once they were covered in skin.

11. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

Poor little bub, accidents happen and I sure your going above and beyond looking after her;) If you need anything, don't be afraid to PM or call:)*

12. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks Amanda :). Your a champ.

13. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

Compared to the wounds I have used honey with yours is tiny........I always have a little bit of doubt every time I use it but as soon as I start and see the results on every bandage change I know its working and its just quite unreal..!!Natures miricle cure.

Here is the report .........

Monday January 11, 2010
    Welcome
    Welcome to 2010, and to the year's first edition of RIRDC e-news.

An Investigation into the Therapeutic Properties of Honey, and The Value-Adding Potential of Prebiotic Components of Australian Honey found in the future people may use hospital grade honey to treat skin and wound infections, or to promote good bacteria inside us.

The first of the reports concluded that a number of Australian honeys exhibit therapeutically beneficial levels of antibacterial activity. It also found that honey’s greatest medicinal potential is likely to be for use on wounds and skin infections.

The second report showed some Australian honeys have the potential to improve human gastrointestinal health, which is an important component of overall human well-being. In particular, some honeys were found to have prebiotic activity, which means they promote the healthy bacteria in the intestine which in turn can assist the body’s immune system.

Both reports are available on the RIRDC website.

Media release

14. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Honey is wonderful stuff **)

The aborigional medicine swears by red gum honey **) Ive seen the most wonderful things happen with VERY nasty white tail spider ulcerations with honey - lovely stuff :)

15. pso

pso Gold Member

awww...poor girl...Its only the good ones that get hurt ;)

I didnt think there were muscles down there to sever...:confused:

16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks for that primrose! very interesting! I'll look further into it :). Thanks too Eoroe!

PSO - I don't know much about horse anatomy (did I spell that right? :p). But the vet explained that the tendons are more to the back of the leg? And some muscle to the front and she had sevored only a little bit? I'd be up for a 2nd opinion though ;).

I'll get a photo on Sunday which will show it in more detail. I've had larger injuries then this on horses but was blown away when I could see right inside and down her leg! I didn't know it was hollow like that in there? lol (if that makes sense :p).

She's doing well :). She now ties up and just had her first brush and is happy to have her legs brushed. Start handling her legs tomorrow.

17. pso

pso Gold Member

The extensor tendon is down the front, but if its only a little bit severed, then thats ok! Babies heal so much better than older horses**)

18. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thats what I thought PSO! I thought that was the tendon too (and someone else was telling me this the night it happened aswell) so was confused when the vet said the opposite!

Thankyou :). She's actually not lame, just mores stiff actions due to the swelling and not favouring it so thats a positive :).

19. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Second that :)

20. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

i'll third the honey! chill it down so its almost a solid and pack it on with gauze then bandage up! cheap and does the best job!