Bad Float Accident on West Swan Rd

Discussion in 'News Items' started by misskel, Apr 20, 2011.

1. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

Every horse persons worse nightmare... A float has rolled over on West Swan Rd.... No details have come out yet but I for one am sending all my thoughts to the horses and their owners at this sad time ......

2. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

Very sad. Please keep us updated if you get more information.

3. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

OMG Hope everyone ok!!!
    Awful :(

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Oh no that is really terrifying!

I'm personally interested to know why / how the float rolled (70km p/h isn't it?) from an educational point of view. I like alot of horse owners use that road all the time and would like to know of any causions to take.

I hope everyone involved is ok!

5. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

I cant find any info on this.. ';'

Hope everyone is ok

Lee

6. Dark Embrace

Dark Embrace Active Member

Both horses escaped with minor injuries. Driver is apparently very shaken, but ok.

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thats great news! Best outcome from such a scary situation!

8. Arfy

Arfy Active Member

The vet who helped out came and saw one of my horses straight after this accident.

Apparently a car put on it's breaks suddenly, the float driver rear-ended them and swerved at the same time, causing the float to topple.

A lesson to all of us to LEAVE PLENTY OF ROOM between your vehicle and the car in front!!

Luckily the vet happened to be driving on west swan right after this happened, to sedate the horses to stop them thrashing and help them out of the float. Apparently many helpful residents provided assistance also. All participants are ok.

9. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

wow, that was some luck that the vet was on the scene soon after the accident. Good to read that everyone is ok.

10. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

So glad everyone is ok **)... West Swam rd is a nightmare to drive on on weekends, I've had someone over-take- me on the CORNER turning right on Gnagarra road with the float on & horses in it when we lived up there ! #(
    People / sight-seers- are a pains- try driving around the weekend of Spring in the Valley ! most residents dont even try :(

Cheers
    Lee

11. sunline

sunline Well-known Member

the best one is when you're driving on a dual carrige way and coming up to the lights in the left hand lane, and then some douche bag cuts in front of you (to get into the nice gap you've left to the car in front), and the lights go amber and they hit the breaks not realising that its a bit harder to stop 2tonnes than their hotted up hyundi getz...

I have honked many a tool for doing that.

12. Frizzy Mits

Frizzy Mits Active Member

some drivers are such total idiots..... like the other day saw a v8 ute pull in front of a float with four heavy horses in it at amber lights bloody idoit

13. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

So do we drive like a Bat out of hell- & scare the ****** out of the way !?? :D*#)
    I always wanted a button on my dash, that would drop the tailgate down on the bonnet of the car sitting up the floats a** then before the driver knew what had happened, the tailgate was back in place. :D**)

Something needs to be done about West Swam rd... I'm suprised someone hasnt been killed. :(

Cheers
    Lee

14. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I don't think we can go blaming the driver in front just yet. No-one knows the full story. For all we know that car was infront the whole time and the float driver driving much too close to allow a safe stopping distance? I'm sure we've all seen float drivers doing this!
    Either way the float driver will be done for neglegent driving even if it was a pure accident. Thats the law.

Very devistating what has happened and a good reminder that even if someone was to jump infront of you to back off the moment you see their indicator come on to over take! Allow them to drive off before going about your day. Its what I do to make sure there's a large distance between myself and the car infront. If someone jumps into my space then I do as above over and over! Keeps us safe... I don't swear at them, I don't get angry, not everyone is educated about towing so doesn't understand. I treat everyone like an idiot and give them room.

15. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

I hope NOT ! ggrrrrrrrr

AND NO I've NEVER seen a float driver sitting too close to another car !! - unless that car has just- pulled / jumped in front of the float !
    Visitors to the Swan Valley do stupid things- I've been behind some idiot with left indicator on { to go into Choc Factory } and turn right into Winery instead !!

:mad:
    Lee

16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Wow really Citygirl? I've seen a fair few float drivers driving far to close to the car infront.

Either way float or no float if you hit the back of the car then you will be charged for neglegent driving for not allowing a safe stopping distance between you and the car infront.
    Unfortunatly this is law and I haven't seen anyone who's hit the car infront get out of the fine.

17. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Maybe its careless driving their done for? I can't remember the right name for it but either way you get fined.

18. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

well I rear-er ended someone,{ back 25 years ago lol } and wasn't charged by the Police, and the Insurance Company would only pay out 60 / 40 as the idiot I hit stopped suddenly, for no GOOD reason in my lane after pulling into my braking distance. We both made Police reports.

So I hope all goes ok for the float driver here, as I have a feeling they weren't in the wrong, knowing that road.

Cheers
    Lee

19. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Maybe laws have changed since then? I've tried researching it online but can't find anything yet.

I rear ended someone about 7 years ago due to them stalling. Pure accident however I should of be on my game! I was charged!
    My husband then ran up someone's but who's brake lights wern't working and stopped suddenly...he was charged.

I even know someone who was hit behind and forced into the car infront and even they were charged!

20. Shera

Shera Active Member

Ditto I had someone break down on a hill in the wet and think it was a good idea to slamm their brakes on and stop so obviously there was a pile up. Two other witnesses made a report and I wasn't charged still had to pay though which was dissapointing.
    I drive to parkerville every week for lessons and tonkin hwy is the worst people will do anything to be in front of a float. Especially peak hour I leave about 10-20 car spaces depending on the speed I'm travelling and there is always some jack@ss that feels the need to cut me off generally when I'm trying to stop!