Australian Brumby

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Justathought, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Justathought

Justathought New Member

The Australian Brumby is a controversial subject for many. Unfortunately there are extremists in every area of argument and emotion can be a powerful motivator but too much can be a powder keg where there is no solution just destruction. While so many people become so damn determined to prove they are RIGHT and no one stops to listen there will be no satisfactory outcome for anyone. Everyone will lose in some way.

As long as only 2 options are considered satisfactory, being 1.eradicate or 2. leave them where they are and let them be, there will never be suitable solution found where all parties can benefit.

Now the Australian brumby has a proud history in that they are credited with being a major factor in our world war as the Light Horse Brigade for us winning the battles in the middle east and bringing that part of the war to an end. Another group of brumbies are stock horses raised on stations and then bred with Arabian horses to create a horse with the quick footed maneuvering for station work the trade mark of the stock and quarter horses and the stamina and endurance to perform the work needed by station owners to preserve their livelihoods, under very harsh conditions, and so that the animals they farmed could them be sold throughout Australia to feed the millions.

There are in fact environmental reports showing how the brumby actually help preserve our native flora and are an important part of the ecosystem in which they live. These horses have had to overcome drought and disease and due to this what we have today is a horse that is extremely hardy and healthy as in the wild it is survival of the fittest.

Okay so it doesn't seem possible for them to stay in the habitats that they currently live in with the numbers that are reported by some agencies but the solution is not to kill these very valuable Australian assets either. At this current time all over Australia there are both organisations and experienced private citizens who have placed themselves in a position to be able to assist the relevant government agencies in catching these regal animals and rehoming them so that they can be trained in disciplines celebrating their natural attributes which make them such a stunning horse.

In the time that I have become interested in these horses I have had the pleasure of meeting people who have successfully caught, trained and rehomed brumbies and it came as quite a surprise to me that these wild horses could display such a natural affinity with those that were handling them and training them. I imagined, at first, horses that were caught in the bush and then brought back to properties and trying to escape their new holdings and being resistant to human contact in any way let alone training them in suitable disciplines. That was my ignorance through a lack of understanding of these horses which was born from a total lack of knowledge of what these horses were truly like and what they are capable of. Now after some time I have been able to watch brumbies be caught by organisations equipped to do so and then just a matter of days they are positively responding to human contact and training. The intelligence of these horses is abundantly apparent as they move through training sessions and accomplish their benchmarks with such precision and acceptance and display such even temperaments. The temperaments of these horses are anything but wild and the eagerness they display in pleasing their trainers and working with their trainers is a sight in itself not to mention the snuggles with their carers that they just adore.

So I say this, we need to preserve these Heritage Horses and the strengths they have developed in mind, body and spirit. At this time the government and relevant agencies feel that the numbers need to be reduced as the land cannot be sustained with the brumbies in their current numbers and so to them the most cost effective way was to eradicate them altogether. The responsible solution would be to reduce current numbers with licensed capture by appropriate brumby associations and then to reduce the capabilities of the brumbies to breed in the wild by selective sterilisation of a portion of mares, fillies, colts and stallions. This could mean that the brumbies and the relevant farmers could live in harmony in the areas where the brumbies live.

Now if for some reason there is no possible way to allow any brumbies to remain in the wild then again the solution is not to kill them. All the relevant agencies have to do is work in partnership with the associations and knowledgeable private citizens in catching the brumbies so they can be trained and rehomed to responsible carers which the relevant associations will ensure and do ensure.

The Bottom Line to the argument is please don't kill as there is no need to kill! There are easily manageable solutions within grasp so please grab hold and support the lives of Australia's Heritage Horses. Lets work together so we can all be happy!!!!

2. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Grabbing my Popcorn ;)

3. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

Popcorn at the ready....

4. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

just getting a drink.....

5. raindear

raindear Well-known Member

got my blankey....

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

So is a brumby a waler or just a feral horse?

What about all the "sub-species" of waler/brumby/ferals?

eg lake gregory/muir/guy fawkes ect ect.

Which ones are the "wild" horses?

7. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-known Member

I got my malteser's & popcorn & drink at the ready!

8. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

well im not up to speed on walers, i thought they came from nsw LOL and were a certain type of horse that had to pass scrutiny so im happy to be corrected...

and since i come from 'station families' i call a horse from a station a station horse LOL and a brumby to me is a feral horse living on crown land...

but im wrong apparently cos station horses are now 'heritage horses' not the mixed bitzas i was lead to believe from my families :D who all lived up and around these places you are finding 'heritage horses' :)

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Oh so much to say! But I'll sit back with the popcorn on this one also.

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Maltesers! Move over! I hope you share :p

11. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

:} ..... :} *#)

12. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

*Gets comfy*

[​IMG]

13. Magic Moon

Magic Moon Well-known Member

Wish I could get a polly waffle.';'

14. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

ah what a let down only came to read this post as was told it could get "interesting"

might as well go take a sleeping pill lol

15. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

i have a few stashed..*pulls up a beanbag*

16. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

Well I guess I will bite.

brumbies to me are feral horses that need to be controlled some how (I won't say how apart from my dog needs to eat too you know:p)

I been thinking and maybe ozzies need to take a leaf fom the kiwis book, every year there is a muster of the wild kaimanua horses a few are adopted out (I think you have to regisiter before hand so only that many will be adopted out) they best breeding stock get let go (again not many) the sick get put to sleep and the rest are dogged, oh and I shouuld mention that the range of the kaimanua's is right next door to a militry bombing/firing range with no fences so they take care of your culling that is needed between musters.

I know ozzie is ruggered but i would say the army would love to head out there for some heavy artilary target practice

17. Hunter Valley Brumby Assoc

My name is Kath Massey and I am the President of the Hunter Valley Brumby Association. After watching the previous thread on this subject earlier in the week, I am not here to rabble on or disrespect this forum or its members. But I am more than happy to answer any questions that you may have regarding Brumbies.

A Brumby is defined by the Australian Brumby Horse Register as a horse living in the wild or under minimal supervision for a minimum of five generations or more than 20 years.

The HVBA was formed last year to protect and promote Brumbies throughout the Hunter region and to give Brumby owners a structure in our area. We have worked very hard to promote Brumbies heavily over the last year in the media and by organising Brumby classes for the first time in the Hunter - much to the enthusiasm of the crowds and the very positive comments from the judges who are very surprised as to the quality and temperament of the Brumbies. We also exhibit successfully at such events as Tocal Field Day at Tocal Agricultural College, this year taking out Best Livestock Exhibit Award amongst some very tough competition.

But we certainly acknowledge that we still have a lot of work to do in dispelling the myths and misconceptions surrounding Brumbies. The Brumbies that we display for the public are fine examples of tough, hardy and financially economical horses that bond with you unlike any domestic horse. All too often we speak to horse owners (and that I have experienced myself) who have spent thousands of dollars on domestic horses that have serious emotional problems caused by people. As horse owners we teach horses many things, good and bad, but one thing people cannot teach a horse - and thats how to be a horse. With a Brumby from the wild you are starting off with a clean slate - a horse that has been bred by nature and raised and disciplined by its own kind in a structured herd. And this is why they bond with you so closely when removed from the wild.

A Brumby will go all day on the smell of an oily rag, they dont need fancy rugs all year, suffer very little health problems, do not need shoeing and can be very easily trained for any riding discipline - from dressage to western and anything inbetween. They are highly intelligent with very acute senses, quick on their feet and have excellent natural balance making them perfect for campdrafting, and of course you cant get a better horse for trail riding. This is why we promote them for our tough Australian environment.

Australian has the largest wild horse population on earth and our Government is the only one in the world that does not protect their wild horses - despite pleas from world animal organisations for all countries to protect their wild horse gene pools. Brumby numbers over recent years have been left unmanaged and they are currently being trapped in numbers that no one Brumby Sanctuary can manage, but Associations are working to rehome or provide refuge for what we can. Which brings debate to the much highly controversial issue of some Sanctuaries selectively breeding in captivity, selling foals at highly inflated prices and providing stallions at stud - for each foal born in captivity is another Brumby slaughtered.

The Australian Brumby Alliance and its associated members, the HVBA included, will continue to work together and with the the Government to try to provide realistic solutions to Brumby numbers.

There will always be people that are for and against Brumbies, but if at each show or exhibit, just one person can walk away with a more open mind, then we have done our job.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I am more than happy to answer them. For information about the Hunter Valley Brumby Assoc please see our website at www.hvba.com.au

Kind Regards,
    Kath Massey
    HVBA President.

18. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

19. The Australian Government can certainly learn from the Kaimanawa horse program but unfortunately the excuse will always be that the Kaimanawa horses are found in much smaller numbers as compared to Australian Brumbies. Kaimanawa Wild Horse Welfare Trust Inc.

And to comment on the previous reply, our current economic climate is yet another reason we are promoting Brumbies as an alternative to our domestic breeds.

20. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

By this definition then how can you BREED a Brumby?

My biggest beef (so to speak?) with the whole "save the horse fund" is those that then start breeding them as the 'ulitmate' allrounder ect.
    As with everything, there are exceptions to the rule, but the most that I see for sale are average horses for average prices...
    And I cannot for the life of me think why they didn't just round up a heap more and 'save' them rather than put another foal on the ground.
    Selling 'saved' ones as colts rather gets my hackles up as well.

But thank you HVB for an informed answer without the emotional hype.