At What Age Do Fillies First Come Into Season

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by simbin, Dec 27, 2008.

1. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Hi there all you breeding experts.

Have never had a filly before so was wondering when they first come into season or display signs of.

Would ask Alexander but as I'm housesitting her house and horses it means shes away and when I want an answer to something I want it NOW!!!

ROFL *#)

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I have a yearling Pt Welsh filly here in season NOW!
    She's a dirty little tart too... :D

3. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Ok so Holly probably is in season. I was walking her past Podge, the stallion yesterday, and he went ape and she was doing all the usual squatting, squirting and being a right little slut. Shes just turned one.

4. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Yep my yearling came into season too, ummm think she is going to be just like her mum to boot*#):p

5. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Thats soooo sad they are sooo young :( Not that you would be them in foal or anything.

6. breakawaystud

breakawaystud New Member

estrus in juvenile mares

Fillies are physiologically capable of becoming pregnant at 9 months of age and their male counterparts at 7 months. However, nature kind of has it sorted, the hymen is very nearly inpenetrable at this age. Having said that, seperating males and females at weaning is always the best option, because there is always the exception! Think teenage boy!!!
    Hope this helps.:))