Arthritic Horse

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Angimac, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Angimac

Angimac Well-known Member

Earlier this month Elvis went lame in his left front leg. Got the vet out to have a look at him and after trotting him back and forth for 10 to 15 minutes and then having a nerve block done on his fetlock he was still in pain and the vet thought Elvis may have a sore knee or shoulder and put Elvis on bute.

Elvis was still not right so we got another vet to see him. This vet got me to trot Elvis away once and then flexed the knee on the front left. He said the knee was sore and Elvis was putting weight on rear legs so he also had pelvis and lower back pain.

We booked Elvis to have x-rays done of the knee, the results were that the fluid and cartilage wasn't too back but unfortunately the bones had arthritic fractures.
    Elvis was injected in the middle and lower knee joint with Gentam, Kenacort and Xylaze.

I know there is no cure for arthritis.
    We are going to pick up Pentosan next week to try and hold onto the fluid and cartilage as long as possible.

My question is are there any feed changes or supplement that will slow down the bone chips, as these seem to be causing him the pain.

Sorry about the long story.

2. Angimac

Elvis is back on Bute and we have started him on Pentosan.

Anyone that has had a horse with arthritic fractures with bone chips information would be greatly appreciated.

3. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Cant help you Angimac, have no experience with that. However, I would suggest you put him on something like Protexin to help maintain a healthy, balanced gut.

4. Angimac

Noelle thank you very much for your reply.
    I was looking for a feed to replace some of Elvis's hay ration as he also has a deep periodontal pocket, and the stockfeeder gave me 3 choices. One being Johnsons Everyday, I contacted Johnsons and they said most of their feeds could replace part of the hay or chaff rations. I had a look at the different feeds and found that the Old Timer has pre and probiotics (let me know if this is different to Protexin) in it and Elvis really likes it (you can make it mushy). A bit priccie I know but he is eating it (Elvis went off his Speedi beet, maybe getting into the pocket).