Arena Surfaces...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Arnie, Feb 26, 2014.

1. macklin dramero

macklin dramero New Member

I have rode for years on wood chip and had no problems, but some people say that the horse slips. Also how long would it last with termites?

Apparently rubber is hot to ride on in summer...:confused::confused:

2. peppi

peppi Active Member

Ive just created an arena with mulch...I love it as a riding surface I have spent a fare bit of time on the tractor flattening it thou...packing it down. Never had problems with slipping on it either

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I'm now discussing wood chips as it's highly likely the wind is too strong. Also looking at other options. Unfortunately out here I don't have many!

Leveling is almost done. This is today. I'm super excited!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Arnie that looks massive, you lucky thing!

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I admit to running around on it today because I'm so excited :p,

It's 40x60. The length I love! But I rode in there when it was first cleared months ago and found the width hard to get used to! I'm used to skinnier arenas!

Grader worked hard today and now the driver won't be back until Wednesday :(. But the front end loader has work to do tomorrow and we are frantically discussing sand options as after Wednesday that's the next step.

Checking the surface after today's work. The clay is rock hard! So happy!

I can't contain myself. SO excited! Dream come true!

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Progress. We'll be finished tomorrow (Wednesday).

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I had to take what I could get in sand. Being so far away costs just kept rising in sand prices due to travel. Giving this a go. The round yard also is being done :).

Still have the sleepers to go down and the rubber around the round yard. But from tomorrow it's rideable.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  7. macklin dramero

Looking good, I bet you wake the other half up extra early to start grading it ready for your first ride :)

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

It's complete! Yay :). Round yard too! Round hard needs rubber lining and the arena needs it's sleepers and fencing but Im using it for now ☺️.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. macklin dramero

Your arena looks great, have fun using it.

Has anybody built an arena over white sand that is 100% free from bogging! it's too deep to ride on at the moment so looking at putting another surface over the sand. I am unsure if I will need to put something over the white sand to firm it up prior to choosing my top dressing?