Arena mirrors

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by hutchi, Nov 18, 2011.

1. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

I am wanting to install mirrors to my new arena :D

Can anyone give me cost effective ideas for this? The cheaper the better, but safety is a must!

2. Wildwood

Wildwood Well-known Member

I know Cav knew of someone a few weeks ago that was a supplier of arena mirrors, maybe giver her a pm :)

3. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

Thank you! If i can work out how to find her and PM I will *#)

4. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

oh and when you find out please let me know too!! I have been to a place before and they mounted a mirrored door onto the side of a shed and used that for an arena mirror

5. kp

kp Well-known Member

Okay, I have some mirrors on my arena. Cost very much depends on what you want. I got three mirrors for $800. Then i had them mounted. Which is where the cost comes into it. I didn't have wall to put them on, so they are free standing. The bigger the mirror the more likely they are to distort or wobble in the wind. So be mindful of this. I was going to get some wardrobe doors, but these worked out pretty much the same cost wise. And these have been treated to last longer as they are outdoors. Your best bet would be to go into a shop that does glass and mirrors. I used Whitford city glass for mine. They have done a few arena mirrors.

6. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

Why not just go to the swap meet or grab some online? I see them all the time and they are quite large. I have an old one in bedroom 1.5m high and 1m long. Surely a few of those set up right would do the trick? Thats what i intend to do when i have my arena set up

7. katelol

katelol Guest

Yep, you should be able to buy those big old dressing table mirrors cheap. Try Gumtree?**)

8. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

Old inbuilt bedroom cupboard doors (I picked mine up off the side of the road for free on a council pick up day...shhh.....). It was 1.5m x 2.5 m.

When you get them mounted, make sure they are up off the ground. Otherwise the crows and mudlarks spend their whole day jumping at and attacking themselves from the ground! Geez......#(

9. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

We were looking into this for our arena and the riding school.

Lots of saftey things to consider. What if the mirror breaks? we would have to have the sand removed and replaced because there is no way you could get every shard of glass out of the sand.

After a bit of reseach, its safter to use reflective stainless steal and there is also a reflective perspex. Really not sure on the cost, its somthing we are going to look at and maybe do some fundraising for.

A mirror in the arena would be such a valuable training tool.

10. CMBR

CMBR Well-known Member

If i was to put a mirror in an arena i would either use a laminated mirror.
    so just like lammy glass if it breaks it stays in one peice just has a massive crack through it, orrr put a vinyl backing on the mirror so if it breaks it sticks. I wouldnt use those robe doors without backing them onto something, i work with them every day and they are pretty flimsy ;) we cant take them outside if its windy because they will just break.

11. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I have the wardrobe mirrors. - and as everyone above has said, Their is a potential hazard with the shattering of the glass.

CMBR - can you get that vinyl back you mention? Id really really like to put it on the mirrors...... (you've seen them)

Mirrors are invaluable - and worth evry penny spent on them - for ANY rider, at ANY level if they are interested in bettering what they do. Even if all you can do is prop up a mirror at the side of the stable - simply halting near it, and analysing your position, and how it feels can do wonders. And particularily when you dont have easily acsessable instructors!

The mirror down the long side at the M corner - I would have made higher. It does
    chop your head off as you get closer....... That CAN be a good thing however :p and I suppose you do still see the other important bits.

The other mirror is at B.

My Mirrors are placed so that you dont look at them when you are directly next tp them (thank GAWD!! *#) ) but you look at the B on across the arena, and the one at the M corner is so you can check things as you come down the long side.

I'll take some photo's of what I have - so you can get idea's of what NOT to do :p and what to do......

On the note of it breaking - we have had winds come through, that have blown over the side wall of the round arena made of tyres behind it, but not damaged the mirror....go figure! lol......but in cases of sever weather warnings, we do cover them in an old sheet or tarp - mainly, as mentioned, to prevent shatter and the cleanup being horrendous......

If their was a breakage - we would DEFINATELY be removing the surrounding dirt (no sand here....lol) and putting sand in. for the perhaps $100...it would be worth it.

Ironically though.....knowing glass. It would probably just shatter completely one deadly still day after consistent loading........ :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  12. CMBR

CMBR Well-known Member

Weve got vinyl backing here but i suppose you could buy it in rolls yourself or through us ;) Ill look into it. i think it costs $35 a square metre :)

13. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Ta mate! **) :)*

ETA - do you stock crazy mudlark repellant as well? the *nasties* have shat all over my mirror :(

14. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one with poo all over it :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  15. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

they are awesome eoroe!!!