Arena fencing

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Bon & Ted, May 11, 2009.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

What does everyone use for their arena fence?

We are levelling out my riding area with our new (old) tractor this weekend, and I'm after some ideas on what to fence it with.

It will share a long side with the paddock so it needs to be good enough to hold horses in.

I was wondering if pickets with the sleeves are safe enough to use, what I was concerned about was impaling...as in will the plastic hold up if me or horsey falls on to it, or will the plastic break resulting in a horrific picket injury ??

Another option was timber posts and tape/rope, but the whole post hole digging into solid rock thing is putting me off.

Any ideas???

Oh and it doesn't need to be flash so no post and rail lol. It's my mums property so just something safe and workable really.

2. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

The sleeves are pretty much a square polly pipe so their very strong. I use mine for Kings paddock and have seen them collidge with his hooves from time to time when he's slipped and they've stood the test and doing fine.

I'm building a riding area shortly which is to double as a paddock aswell and it'll have the gallagher sleeves aswell.

3. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

mmmm...what I was wondering more if there was weight directly over the top, how much weight can it take..

If that makes sense LOL *#)

OH is an Engineer and he said he wouldn't trust them to take say 50 kg's of direct weight.

Maybe I could do self testing at home LOL

How much did they cost you? PM if you'd rather not say on forum

4. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

Why not fence a larger area then teh arena, then put a PVC arena inside that - if you fall you will be away from the fence so it can just be 'normal' fencing.

5. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

What do you mean by a PVC arena?

Also we are very limited in what we can and can't fence due to the amount of solid rock on the ground...

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

For a set of 25 it costed us $250 I think it was could be more or less now. They are also supplied with caps and no sharp edges.

7. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

i dont have an arena i have a paddock with wire fences how safe lol.

with the whole which fence is best dilema they all have issues

post and rail: well falling on thats going to hurt and probably knock you out
    wire: string yourself up on it
    plastic poles: possible snapping and stabbing injuries
    no fence or just poles on the ground: run away horsie
    pvc fencing: still something your going to hit:D

8. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

What Himitsu means is that you 'fence' your actual riding arena with a low pvc pipe or similar held up by little blocks (you could use upturned plant pots if you like). Have a look at her avatar, you can see it just behind her horse. If you place the riding arena inside the outer fence then if you come off you'll just knock the pvc pipe over. :)

Both my roundyard and arena have pine posts as uprights and then wire threaded through black retic pipe which is then threaded through the uprights (hope that makes sense). If you knock the pipe with the wire through it it makes a noise so the horses tend to not knock it but if they were to go through it then it's designed to break so as not to cause injury. My arena fence is a few metres off the paddock fence that it's next to but if it was to double as both arena fence and paddock fence then I would just put an electric standoff on the paddock side.

9. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

haha thanks for the explanation Rem.

mmm will have to have a look at what space we have when I get home, but I don't think that's going to be an option unfortunately.

hahaha CWAC thanks for that! I just needed every option ruined for me *#)

Thanks guys I have a few ideas to play with now!!!

10. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

oops wasnt ment to do that was ment to be like any option can cause injury so the easiest one might be a better option for you:D

11. himitsu

doesnt have to be flash like this - can mark arena with logs or something. but idea is you arent riding against fence so not likely to hit it if you fall.

[​IMG]

so in this instance teh short PVC fence marks the arena and keeps a controlled horse in, in the event of a fall the horse may indeed leave this area, but there is a fence about 10m away from that (this is electric on one side, post and rail on other side - road side)

12. himitsu

oh and another idea - PVC sighter wire and pine posts. I once had a horse jump THROUGH this style of fence - i didnt realise at the time that it wasnt coated wire and just about fainted lol but all that happened was the PVC snapped.

13. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

What a gorgeous photo Himitsu. :)*

hehe that's ok CWAC I was only joking *#):D

I would be needing to leave 5 - 10 metres from the small pvc arena and the fence, which is a probelm for me because of the amount of rock free land we have (which is only about 20m x 40m) But I will have a walk around tonight and see if there is anywhere else we can dig in to....

14. himitsu

this arena is in the hills too :) its just dug into the hill side/built up and the base is hills gravel, with sand over the top - makes quite a good surface, drains well and isnt too boggy.

15. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

We used cattle rail. If you go have a look at my post in open discussions on Stables, Arena & Crush it will show some photos.
    No sharp edges, keeps animals in, works a treat :)

16. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I saw that KC looks good but I would have thought it would have been quite expensive??

17. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I would never use star pickets - even with a sleeve.

Ive seen impalings and irreparable damage done to humans.

The thing is - as I think youve already been thinking Bon and Ted - we are at the perfect height when riding to become a kebab if we fall off.

I know alot of people do it - and Im eradicating the farmer firendly star pickets in my 'controlled and intensive' riding area for the sack of myself.

It only takes one time for you to regret the fencing forwever. I have never had unwarranted contact with a star picket where I havent drawn blood, or torn clothing badly.

A stump - or any other type of fencing, I'll brusie and hoble for days - but not necessarily need to visit the hospital. And Body protectors and helmets may save you with a post n rail, but the will have a hole easily punched in them by a starpicket.

Horses ihead for the fence when they are in trouble...its murphy's law....

I can afford anything special either - so its tyres on their sides - half buried in thew ground for now.

If you are training a horse - try and make sure you stay with a VERY big buffer zone between the pickets and your working area - and I mean acres.....they move quick when they arent happy...

18. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Thanks Euroe, you just confirmed what I was thinking.

It's so true isn't it that it only takes one time to regret the fencing, with my luck this year I don't want to be pushing boundaries too far LOL

I think I may just need to hire the post hole digger **sigh** I'll actually be working hard this weekend!!

19. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Ok I just went & checked the accounts & the cost for all the steel for the Arena fencing, the WIWO yards & the crush was around $8000. On top of that is also the cost of all the quick set concrete that we concreted the posts in the ground with.

We have a post hole digger on our tractor, so no cost there & the OH built the fence ...so no cost there either.

Our arena is pretty big though & the WIWO yards take up a bit of steel also. We got our steel from orricon, you could always price up what you would need & do the sums :). Look at every option, price them all & see what works best for your situation. :)

20. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

That is a REALLY good price.......hmmm...I might start a new bank account that i cant touch....

KC Quarter horses - Can I ask how big your arena is? i have seen the pics (L>O>V>E>L>Y!) but I can remember if you said how big it was...

CHEERS!