Arabs and the head twisty thing

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by LNT, Feb 1, 2013.

1. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

its not a problem as such just wondering why?

i have just got myself a 3yo unbroken arab gelding, and he is quite the head tosser/twister, i have an arab mare also and she doesnt do it often only if she is very excited.

so was wondering what causes them to do it? the lady i bought him from thought he did it cause his dam did it and he was copying her?

what do you all think please? :))

2. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I have a 15-yo gelding who does it *#) it's very odd - he usually does it when he appears to have gotten away with something or when he's happy (like being fed or let into the paddock or with friends).

He's not an Arabian, he's apparently an Anglo/QH (could be anything really!).

3. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

I always thought it originated as a dominance display, but have seen lots of horses do it when in expectation of something- feed, a new horse introduction, moving paddocks.

4. JP Red

JP Red New Member

We have an 11 yo standy who does it as an excited, nervous or anxious thing. The calmer he is the less he does it. :)

5. Gemgem

Gemgem Well-known Member

My andy girl does it when she is anxious or excited too. Not under saddle or when I am handling her, but in the paddock.

6. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Yep, my standy does his Mr Twistie face thing when he is a bit nervy/stressy or in anticipation of food! Harmless behaviour. **)

7. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

excellent thanks for the replies :)

not just Arabs then!

8. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I have had & do have a couple Arabian Derivatives that do this.
    Harmless yes but they can & do get very sore from doing it. #(

My 16 mth old Pt Arab filly does it, never use to until she spent 6 weeks confined when she was weaned with a bad injury. It because a stress thing & she still does it now. Sometimes in play but mostly when stressed out.
    Weirdly enough, her full sibling does it & so did the sire.

I have a Mini Horse mare that does it too???

9. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Have a couple of head tossers too, my old girl does when just standing around doing nothing!
    Think its just a habit thing, but is very common (and annoying!!)

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Both of my Arabs do it :)

11. MissDQ

MissDQ New Member

Captain does it when he's having a snotty moment *#) He's an 18yo unknown cross :D

12. Sweet Arab

Sweet Arab New Member

love it

I have a mare and this is the she talks if she is happy , cross , or waiting for something wants her own way under saddle just a thing she dose ..plenty of personallity .. x

13. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Not dangerous until you're unaware a horse does it and they clonk you on the head!

14. mav

mav Well-known Member

mav does this only when i am lunging him - mainly if he has decided its time to stop and i tell him no!! its generally accompanied with him turning his butt and then me making him MOVE!!!

15. mav

mav Well-known Member

OUCH!!!

10 character rule!!

16. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

my anglo arab does it too - only when hes lunged and doesnt want to trot

17. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

My qh x Anglo does it.. Generally when he's excited, or in protest to being told not to do something :rolleyes:

18. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Of our 10 horses -
    8 are QH or QHxTB........they dont do it....
    1 is 22% arab......she doesnt do it....
    1 is a bitza, with possibly a small percentage of arab blood, and who knows what else!.........she does it, at dinner time when she can see the buckets coming out :)

19. domingo

domingo Active Member

I have a TBx Stockhorse and he does it. My standy has just learned it from him too #(

20. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

My Waler does it in play.

It's amusing when you are riding along and find both reins on the same side of her neck.:blink: Makes steering tricky. LOL

She can do it at flat gallop too, bit disconcerting.:eek:

She doesn't do it all the time, it doesn't bother me.