Arabians - types, uses, pics

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Gaia, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

As title states ^^^
    I have always been interested in Arabs, mainly for there beauty, but would like to learn more.
    I've heard of Egyptian, Crabbet, Polish, but are most X's of these? I know Egyptians are finer and Crabbets are heavier boned. Obviously uses would be different?
    Lots of pics would be appreciated :) Thanks :)

Oh and have ETA - I have noticed quite a few chestnuts with Arab breeding have either wall eyes, or alot of white, is this normal?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-known Member

I understand where your confusion comes from, its hard to get your head around at first. The %'s are based on origins, of course with stock being sold to different places these %'s all intertwine. Origins are basicly different studs and countries.

Different origins have excelled in different disicplines, hence people categorising what they are best known for.

For examply Egyptian bred are often viewed as more high strung and refined, often seen in the halter classes, where Crabbet (a stud origin) are often viewed as very quiet riding horses, often seen in ridden classed.

As far as I am concerned I judge each individually.

Heres some examples of %

[​IMG]

Fawely Tsunarmi:

CMK Stallion (99.59%)
    89.49% Crabbet/Blunt - stud origin
    94.90% GSB
    44.78% Egyptian
    .... and many more of smaller amounts :)

"A Kuhaylan Dajani" (this is his sire and dam tail line .... ie where he is origially traced back to regading desert breeding)

[​IMG]

Kashon Lea:

61.48% Crabbet/Blunt
    66.94% CMK
    44.18% Egyptian
    .... and many more of smaller amounts :)

"A Shuwaymah Sabbah" (this is his sire and dam tail line .... ie where he is origially traced back to regading desert breeding)

Now here is a really great link re percentages ...... this ladys knowledge is great, she calculated my boys percentages as well as some of my others.

Glossary for Eva's Percentages.

Hope I have been of some help, the link above will help you alot. If you go to the bottom of the page you will see she has a link to some famous arabian percentages, very interesting to look at :)

3. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

I have a 75% arab mare and I'm not sure what she actually is I'm going to take a guess as say more crabbet lines?
    She is 75% arab and 25% welsh B
    Flossie
    [​IMG]

Doing what she loved :) I know its a terrible take off spot.etc... I was young then and just had a great time doing absolutely everything. She loved to jump!
    [​IMG]
    She did have the typical manly under neck going on for a while - at 11yrs ish I really wasn't bothered what he head was doing as long as she went.stopped.turned.and jumped :D
    [​IMG]

Uses - I would say floss was an awesome pony club all rounder, Had I of been older at the time she could of turned to dressage or jumping easily. She is an alert,sensitive mare but also very trusting which made everything fun to do.
    Not much help really :p

4. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Thanks for the replies :)
    I do like the look of Crabbets. Still very pretty but with a bit of bone.
    What is CMK?

5. Nemesis

From Eva's percentages glossary:

CMK: Crabbet, Maynesboro, Kellogg. Also includes horses that are unique American desert sources, such as the Hearst/Sunical imports, the Davenports, etc. A few other horses are also allowed under this umbrella. To be considered CMK, a horse must: 1) have a CMK sire line. 2) have a CMK dam line or a dam line established in the US prior to 1950. 3) be of at least 75% CMK ancestry.
    Please Note: I have not been able to find a precise definition for this category. While the CMK status of the majority of foundation horses are known, nonetheless I have, at different times, received conflicting information regarding a few animals. Therefore I cannot be quite sure whether they are CMK founder animals or not, i.e. whether they should count towards the percentage or not.

So from these three:

Crabbet/Blunt:
    Any horse that was bred by or ever owned by the Blunts whether it be at their Sheykh Obeyd Stud in Egypt or at the Crabbet Stud in England. Also any horse that was bred by or ever owned by the subsequent owners of Crabbet Stud until it's demise.

WR Brown/Maynesboro Stud:
    Horses that were imported by or bred by WR Brown at his Maynesboro Stud.

WK Kellogg:
    Any horse bred by WK Kellogg, foaled at the Kellogg Ranch, or imported by WK Kellogg. Does not include horses bred after the Ranch was turned over to the Remount.

6. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

This is my straight Egyptian 2yo :)

[​IMG]

She has a few people issues which are trust related but I certainly wouldn't say she is more high strung than my other horses. She coped with her first show at the SEC with less jumping around then many of the more experienced horses who were competing!

7. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Thanks Nemesis. I will have to take time to sit and read that link thoroughly :) Looks like it has it all covered. :)

Keep the pics coming :)

8. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

So when someone says "straight" = 100%?
    She is lovely Mirawee. Egyptians have a more refined head as well as leg and straight through back to croup and not as much depth through girth? Or do they all have that? If just noticed that Crabbets seem to be more "rounder" over the hips and croup, rather than flat. More riding type, but I've seen either win in the show ring. Also, I noticed it seems to be the higher competition that the refiner types seem to do better? Or it doesn't matter as long as they are correct?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I am very interested :)

9. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

My old mare was a 59% Part Arabian. I just checked out her pedigree and there are Arabians from GB, ES, Poland and virtually anywhere under the sun in there lol. She did however have Abha Muacim and Rikham in her lines several times.

She was also a Part Bred Australian Pony so built with a lot of bone and a cheeky nature.

10. Nemesis

Looks like you have a pretty good handle on the general "types". There are always the exceptions too :)

A high percentage egyptian mare of mine, Maralinga Sweet Georgia Brown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.... and this one where she is displaying her lovely quiet nature at an Ag Show with my young sister who showed her :)
    [​IMG]

11. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Straight = 100% :p

Strangley I think it is only Egyptians who are referred to as Straight though?

My girl is certainly not straight through to the croup (pretty obvious in the photos LOL). She is more riding type in body but still with a nice little head and lighter boned than the Crabbets.

But most of the horses I have seen straight through from back to croup have actually been mixed "strains" rather than the Straights or high percentage horses.

It depends a lot as well on whether they are being bred for halter or for ridden as well. A lot of the halter horses would stuggle now under saddle.

12. Nemesis

and then ofcourse as others have mentioned, % of arabian blood:

50% Arabian
    [​IMG]

50% Arabian
    [​IMG]

50% registerable Arabian ( but in reality 75% Arabian)
    [​IMG]

100% Arabian lol
    [​IMG]

13. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Hey Gaia,
    Hondy is an anglo arabian, he is by the arabian stallion Raaees (crabbet) out of a TB mare.
    He's 16.1 1/2 and very solid/broad.
    He has over 9 inches of bone (measured around his canon, just below the knee. It's either 9.25 or 9.50, I can't remember).

He's usually rounder over the rump than in this photo, this was only a few weeks after coming back from a 7 month spell (and please excuse me squeezing into my jacket, thats just after I'd had Claire)
    [​IMG]

This one gives a better idea of how broad he is through the chest.
    [​IMG]

This is one of my most favouritest photo's of my boy, just really shows his personality.
    [​IMG]

14. Nemesis

Just love that head shot Bethy!!!

15. samm

samm Gold Member

16. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

here is Miss Abbey - Registered name Vanitia. she is purebred arabian and 97% crabbet. her grandad was ballora who has count manilla bloodlines who i believe was one of the main crabbet sires.
    she does everything from dressage;
    [​IMG]
    jumping;
    [​IMG]
    breed shows
    [​IMG]
    mga
    [​IMG]
    western
    [​IMG]
    campdrafting
    [​IMG]
    she is 18 this year, and these are all recent, have done natural horsemanship, can ride her bridless, barrel racing, hacking... shes done it all in her day!

17. odway

odway Guest

I think this is turning into a 'show off your arab' thread! This is my purebred, bred for endurance but does just about anything (except endurance, go figure!).

XC
    [​IMG]

Hacking
    [​IMG]

In-hand
    [​IMG]

Showjumping
    [​IMG]

Dressage
    [​IMG]

Cows
    [​IMG]

and Pleasure
    [​IMG]

ETA He's a broad, level headed boy, huge personality with a fantastic temperament. Currently being used as a confidence booster for a 12 y/o. Very loyal and we have a great bond, nicknamed "wonderhorse" because he truly is!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  18. samm

samm Gold Member

Think some people get confused between strains and types.
    Bascially you have Crabbet,Russian,Polish,Egyptian,Spanish and then blend of these types.
    Strains refer to the "tribe" from which they are from.All strains derive from the mother.An explanation can be found here
    http://www.smfarabs.com/pdfs/oasis-evolution-strains.pdf

19. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

I dont have an arab, but I am breeding my first part arab this year. I have no idea about percentages though.
    Bethy, I wish you would post pics of Honda more often, he is my absolute favouite stockies horse along side Jocko's part arab stallion.

20. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

How do you figure out what type they are? On the stud book it just says 'purebred arabian'.. Is there an easy way to find out? Or does it comeon the horses papers or something?