applying copper sulphate to wounds

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Debonair, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

This was my girls injury when the proud flesh set in. I reckon if I had used yellow lotion from the start we may of avoided this stage!
    This is fresh with the bandage off so prior to cleaning but snapped it quickly before the flies came in too strong.

[​IMG]

I treated it the majority of the time with Silverzene. Very expensive. Was doing the job but very slowly.
    Finally used Yellow Lotion and this was the injury last week 24 hours after the bandage was first removed after being bandaged for 5 months.

[​IMG]

Personally in your case. I wouldn't or removed the bandage until it was more covered and I'd be taking your horse back to the vet and maybe look into having some cut away? But might be too late now?

2. CatabyWarmbloods

CatabyWarmbloods Active Member

Tip: put savalon (or any antiception ointment) on the skin to keep the skin safe and of course, to keep stuff on it to encourage it to heal, then get an unused paint brush (small sized, like artist paint brush) and dip it in water, then into the copper sulfate and then apply - repeat, repeat, repeat and repeat again until the proud flesh is covered in it, then cover the wound and banadge.

*nods* - works a charm, it's my secret ingrdient :)

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Oh and I HIGHLY recommend Hi Shine HG Serum to keep the new skin soft and supple (no drying out) and reduce scaring and promote excellent fir growth.

I have been doing my own little case study of this product and have been using it on this injury since about half way and very happy.

4. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

This is my boys
    [​IMG]
    4 days later after using yellow lotion...proud flesh gone...I continued to use it for a few days, just to make sure it was all gone and then started with the honey.
    [​IMG]
    Proud Flesh is most common on the lower limbs as there is lots of movement and this encourages the growth....That's why I continue to bandage as it helps stabilize the movement and prevent more from growing...The longer you leave it bandaged the better, changing every second day and then few days...It will heal much quicker and stop any nasties or from it reopening.

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yup I agree with this. Although I would leave mine longer then two days. I found too frequent changes did no good for the injury and although it goes a little yucky and stinky, the longer you can leave the bandage on the better before changing.

6. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Arnie I am in the final stages of dealing with a wound slightly bigger than yours. The new mare decided to put her leg over the only bit of barb on our whole property despite 2 elctric standoffs - a whole 10 metres worth at the boundry. She scalping went from just below the inside of the hock to the fetlock. Exposing a piece of bone about 1/2 inch wide and one inches long.

From day one we rinced in Hartmans solution infused with Gentam and bandaged with Manuka Honey. While there was so much serum ooze the dressings were a bit harder to remove, but gentle hosing to wet bandage and dressing helped bring it off without hurting too much or taking off too much new growth. It has been 5 weeks and the wound is improved to only be about 30% left.
    Bandage changes every second day for 2 weeks, and then every 3 days for 2 weeks and this last week has gone 5 days. Using vet wrap and elastaplast to secure she only ever slipped one bandage when I think I over-did the honey....lolol The sun came out and it seemed to slide down about 3 inches and I had to re-do it.

There has not been one bit of proud flesh. No thickening at all, just wound fill in and cover, with hair even growing under the bandage.

I believe that bandaging actually controls the proud flesh as it constricts healing to the wound itself rather than laying dermis on top of each other, the bandaging encourages the healing to move out from the wound and up rather than on-top *if that makes sense*. Luckily we don't have a fly problem - YET. But I want this healed before I start leaving it uncovered....as the mare is going to foal in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.

Gobble gobble.....ahahahahahah

7. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

With wounds like this...sometimes it's better to let them take a while to heal as you want it to heal from the inside out and the good pink flesh to cover the wound before you start leaving it unbandaged IMO or you just risk starting the process again!

8. Tnavas

Tnavas New Member

Smear vaseline around the outside & below the wound, then wash the wound and while stil damp place crystals in the palm of your hand and press onto the wound. The horse can't feel it as proud flesh contains no nerves just a massive number of blood vessels.

Bandaging over helps to reduce the proud flesh faster too.

Remove scab at least daily - rinse with saline solution and re apply the crystals.

9. Tnavas

Tnavas New Member

Savlon is for human use only - not advisable to use on the horse at all. Safest thing to use is saline (1tsp to a pint of boiled water) and vaseline around and below the wound to protect healthy skin

10. purplepony

purplepony Active Member

I had the unfortunate pleasure of treating a horrific wound on an eventer that lost huge chunks of flesh and muscle off it hind legs in a paddock accident. The owner had a "dodgy irish" vet who recommended copper sulphate. Me and my employer were skeptical, and the horse didn't like it being put on, but man did it work fast at cleaning up all the proud flash and dirty scabs.

The mare had a wound on her stifle, gaskin around the size of football and 3 years later was in the final line up at UK HOYS as a hunter hack- the scar ended up the size of a 10c piece.

Might be one of those old fashioned things that works, even though logic says don't use it....

11. Marlee

Marlee Well-known Member

I've had to deal with an awful lot of wounds on animals in the past. I agree that honey is awesome stuff and use it on everything, even on me and my husband :)

I have found that the longer you bandage the better, especially with horses. The bandaging keeps the wound moist so it heals from the inside out and this reduces scarring. I have always changed bandages every day for the first few days then gone to 3 days for a week or so, then to 5 days until healed. Obviously, all bandaging needs to be monitored. If you use the right gauze under the bandage it will naturally debride the wound for you each time you change the bandage as it rips the top lay off the wound.

I'm not sure if I'm right but have found that wounds that aren't bandaged long enough seem to get more proud flesh (on horses anyway), personally my horse never got any but have seen it a lot in others when the bandaging wasn't kept up. I believe that scarring in the wrong area on a horse ie leg, can restrict movement on horses so it's best to reduce it if you can, I know the horse will heal anyway but I suppose it depends on what that horse is used for in the future. In the past I have debrided wounds myself but as I have said I have used CS with vasoline and it worked. Once the wound has healed I use Vit E (just the capsules from chemist) on the skin to promote hair growth, so far have no bald patches.

Bloody horses, they seem to be determined to injure themselves.

12. arlene

arlene New Member

copper sulphate

copper sulphate a little wet makes a paste and sticks better 24 hrs max for leaving it on as it will eat the flesh:)