applying copper sulphate to wounds

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Debonair, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

just wondering if anyone has tips for applying it to wounds... chip injury has the good tissue round outside but definate proud flesh in the middle, trying to pat some of the copper sulphate crystals is a bit of a task, i make sure i cover the good tissue with ointment 1st... but would/could one mix it with some vaseline or something that wont run ( into the good tissue) but an easy way to apply it??

2. katers93

katers93 Well-known Member

Seeing as it is water soluble, you could try to dissolve it a little and then mix it with something a bit thicker. Haven't heard of using it before.. what does it do? I use yellow lotion and its very very good, creates a big thick scab within a few hours then you just pull off that layer and reapply, usually once or twice daily... and you can put it straight on any tisse.

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Copper Sulphate didn't work on my girls proudflesh however have heard plenty of stories of it working just fine.

Yellow Lotion worked best for me.

4. Marlee

Marlee Well-known Member

Have used it with vasoline and it works a treat. Still has the potential of falling off in one big lump though so don't make it too thick.

5. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Hoof grease works better than Vaso

6. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Hi Debonair, have you tried Vitamin A oil/cream. I don't think it will get rid of the proud flesh (not sure though as never tried) but it works wonders to heal and also prevent scarring. It's in a yellow tin, I think the brand is Oldtimers.. cost a bit for the tin but it lasts ages. Once the wound has started to heal (isn't open) I use it on everything.:)

7. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I found that just dissolving a small amount (about a teaspoon) in a bucket half-filled with water and then applying with cotton swabs worked fine. I got shot down in flames for using copper sulfate - but I'm glad I did because when I finally found out what was causing the wound on my girl I googled it. Came up with lots of articles from veterinary journals, including one case of a 3 year old warmblood in Europe who lost half his face to the same problem! It was literally being eaten away. So the copper sulfate must have been doing something right :)

8. Debonair

thanks guys, never tried yellow lotion, this is how the wound looked mon, i rebandaged it for a few days with what i could apply of the CS and my ointment that i make ( calendula, hypericum, rosehip oil, honey, lavender) i think its been healing really well ( the last few times hes done same thing to same leg its been bandaged for 6 months! he went down to tendon about 8 weeks ago.
    so, the yellow lotion... eats proud flesh same as CS?
    [​IMG]

9. SCNHP

SCNHP New Member

I would personally strongly advise against using copper sulphate. It will get rid of the proud flesh but can cause severe irritation to the outside skin (no matter how careful you are at not getting it on any area that isn't proud) and it is so potent that it really can do more harm than good. I have seen many nasty areas on horses due to CS use and have also worked with many clients to try and heal areas that have been badly affected by CS. You will get some people that swear by it, but it really is safer to use something else.

The ointment you're making sounds perfect to promote healing but as for the proud flesh I have found yellow lotion or lotagen to be the best. Lotagen seems to be stronger than YL in my experience. Applying one of these products to a melolin pad then bandaging with cotton wool and a co-hesive bandage will probably get you fastest healing results though considering you have a lot of leg to bandage (best to bandage right to the bottom of the leg with any leg injury) and bandaging materials aren't cheap, you may not want to do that, though it will be sure to get you faster results.

Good luck during this stage of healing and wound care :)

10. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Copper sulphate, mixed at the right ratio, will not damage the good live flesh. It will only eat the rotten or proud flesh away.

Some people use it with success and then think well if I mix it stronger it will work faster or better. Not the case.

I mix it 1 part copper to 20 parts water. You can go as strong as 1/10, but I have found 1/20 to be plenty strong enough. It should look about the same colour as blue poweraide.

Sponge it on with clean cotton wool, or put in a spray bottle and squirt on. Allow to dry, with fresh air, and then bandage and re-do atleast every two days. As the wound starts to dry and heal, leave the bandage off and just wash with the copper solution once or twice per day until all the proud flesh and mankiness is gone, then use a cream that contains vit E.

11. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Debricleanse works a treat on proud flesh just make sure you wipe away the excess off the good tissue, also Ungvita cream on all the good flesh will help it heal and stay soft :)

12. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

I wouldnt be using CuSO4 - too much of an irritant!!

In Lab pracs they reccomend you don't even touch the cyrstals or 1 mol.L solution (1 mol.L hydrochloric acid wont even burn through paper), becuase it probably will ressult in irritation!!!

btw - where are you sourcing it??

13. katers93

katers93 Well-known Member

Yep works the same, and you can put it on the good flesh, won't irritate it, my horse didn't mind it at all. Probably a good idea to use, as it "burns" the flesh as CS does but will also dry out the top layer so you can get quite large layers off at once. I would recommend it as (can't tell very well) but looks like the skin is starting to heal over? Also if you have to be putting ointment on the good flesh this might be slowing the process.. plus time consuming for you
    Good luck with it :D

14. Debonair

i get it from stock feed - northam chaff have it.
    I used it the last 3 times he did leg... memory just doesnt go back that far as to how i applied it*#)

Thanks Deb2... i might try it like that... :)* we're kinda at the stage to leave it open... tho i like to keep bandaging for my own peace of mind! he sounder when its bandaged... but then, thats in the paddock, i got on a took him out for a ride other day and he was sound as houses!

15. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I have used it - it insighted to much of a chronic pain response from my horse to use it again, teeth grinding, teething running (rolling teeth up and down posts) and stress intestinal gas production.......from a normally thick skinned, robust and brutally tough fella. I will only use unprosseced honey from now on.

It worked wonders on removing a skin flap which the local vet refuse to move.....grrrrr......but I wont use it again **) Honey worked much more effectively, and painlessly **)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  16. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

I used yellow lotion on my guys proud flesh...would normally just clean with warm salty water or betadine and then pour yellow lotion on a gauze pad and bandage....I would change every second day in the beginning and it is amazing how fast it got rid of the proud flesh! Yellow lotion is also antibacterial so stops any nasties, won't damage the good flesh and also numbs the nerve endings, so is a bit of a pain reliever! OH and its SOOOO much CHEAPER then anything else!!!

After the proud flesh was gone, I used unprocessed Jarrah honey to heal the wound and it was gone in a matter of weeks....This is an untreated wound that the horse had for over 6 months (before I got him)....

17. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

i swear by yellow lotion for major injuries but have tried CS on my mares greasy heel and it cleared that up in no time-love that too!!
    hope he gets better real soon!

18. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Is this the mare with the greasy heal ect you discussed in the thread earlier?

I thought you were treating her with a whole bunch of things - or at least you said you didn't use sulphur? :confused:
    Now you say you used CS and it "cleared up in no time" and Yellow Lotion?

I think its much easier if people can get a correct diagnosis via their vet either skin scraping or just a visual assessment rather than just buying and trying everything known to man. It is a costly road to take and one that is unnecessary. Every tube or tug or bottle costs money and might be actually feeding a fungus or inflaming a wound...........get "condition specific" drugs or medications and save yourself the money!

19. horsescomefirst

this is NOT a thread about "ME" so stop bringing the past up and having a go at me in someone elses thread#:)mad:

20. horsescomefirst

DEBONAIR-i use Yellow lotion on ALL major injuries like the pic you have posted here. its great stauff and heals very quickly.

For greasy heel(just to clarify since the turkey;) bought it up), i washed the heels and area in a copper sulhate solution and ACV twice a day and left it to dry-it cleared up in about 4 days, when the hair started growing back i then applied pink eye ointment for the next few days to keep the skin soft and to make sure all the baceris/fungus was gone. itsnow cleared up.**):)