Appalusian...reseach for future breeding

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Dreamchaser, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

Stevie Wonder must part own some of the horses people breed on this forum.

Go with Coliban's suggestion, this is not a mare that I would use to try to breed a performance horse capable of higher level dressage with elevated movement.

2. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

Hi she's a lovely mare i'd sticking to appy or QH stallion :D

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

She is a lovely mare :) I know a certain big pally QH stallion that I would be putting her to if she was mine:)* I believe I cant mention names as they are not advertisers though:( Happy to PM if you are interested;)

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

yes would be very interrested...is he in WA???

5. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

yes...have messaged you **)

6. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Good luck to whoever you breed her to.

I still can't get past the name Appalusian. I keep seeing a chain of mountains in the US. Have always had a hankering to walk the "Appalusian" Trail. :)

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Just had a look @ him, he is very beautiful and has done very well in dressage.

8. artwoman

artwoman New Member

Appalusian Fantasy

I have to say I have produced 6 appalusians at my farm, Thunderhoof Acres. I have 4 colts and two fillies. I wanted a sturdy, intelligent beautiful horse for older riders. The reason they haven't been heard of is because the Andalusian was, until relatively recently, very rare in this country. My babies are everything I dreamed of and more. With a fewspot, and blanketed mares I got fantastic color, conformation and movement. My oldest gelding is now in dressage. My oldest mare has returned to me from working with SCA as a medieval mount in reenactments. She has produced an absolutely gorgeous 3/4 Appalusian. These beautiful animals are sound sane, and smooth. They are a little taller than I expected ranging from 15. 2 to 16.3

9. artwoman

artwoman New Member

Appalusian

I have a grulla mare, tricolor bay snow flake, blue grulla blanket and a bay. also have a bay 3/4 appalusian. They are amazing. No grey anywhere

10. monomeeth

monomeeth Well-known Member

Artwoman this is a very old thread now but if you want to post pics of your horses I'm sure no-one will mind and would be very interested to see how the cross turns out. :)

Hugs,

Mono

11. belambi

belambi Active Member

Only just found this thread!.. believe it or not, in my opinion appaloosa x andalusion (or any iberian breed..lippy etc) is a very sensible , even logical cross, since they are so very closely related... its worth remembering that there were ZERO horses in American when it was colonised by the spanish. (There had been populations but they were wiped out around 2000 BC).

The explorer Cortes actually had a spotty stallion with him on the ship when he landed there.

History

lipizzaners used to have spots.. there are many old paintings of spotted mares in padocks at the Piber stud.. but the introduction of the grey gene saw to the end of this.. .. probablya lot of confusion came from people not being aware many years ago, of the difference between grey and white (a true spotty is actually pure white in its homozygous form)

12. artwoman

artwoman New Member

appalusian result

Thanks for asking. Hadnt been back here ina long while.The cross was everything I had hoped for. I have two mares and two geldings. They are sound-minded, sound-bodied animals with excellent bone and structure. They have short backs, able to carry the weight of the older rider. We trail ride extensively. Their feet are like iron. I use the "mustang" trim. I use front boots when in rocky mountains but otherwise barefoot. The only thing that did not turn out was the height. The concept of 15 -15.2 hand Andalusians is wrong! These have turned out in the 15.2 to 17 hand range. I lost one foal to traumatic injury in a gate. Horrible experience... Color wise ;I got one Honey-gold, grulla mare,(Cordobes XX) with app characteristics, One blue roan tricolor black colt with snowflakes everywhere. One loud blanket big spots and white spots in front and one red done blanketed mare (all Alfarero 21) I will download some pictures and post tomorrow. I have one bay colt (Temerario). He shows no app characteristics but is absolutely gorgeous with amazing movement! Thanks!

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Breeding season is nearly here again...and I've been looking at a few stallions but liking Tresaison Numero Uno atm. Anyone with pic's of there coloured foals please feel free to post them and get some bling in the ring.:lol:

14. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I'm curious as to the Appy blood used. Are we talking Appy that has a high percentage of QH blood, or are we talking the exclusive use of the more 'foundation' type blood.
    Not knowing how many breeders still breed for this foundation blood in this country? I've only owned one Appy as a riding horse years ago and my good friend owns a lovely old blooded aged mare. My boy had a % of QH blood though and looked like a QH with a blanket and spots.

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

EVP you make a very good point because most of all appaloosa's today in Australia have some Quarter horse blood down the lines, Nevada is no exception she has it on both sides and is very much Quarter horse looking with Appaloosas markings with a very choppy movement....Where as the old blood was more flow movement and height I think....not many Appy's over 16 hands anymore and with more crosses to the Quarter horse becoming more common.

16. EVP

EVP Gold Member

The QH blood in an Appy that was to be used for crossbreeding would concern me. That said one would hope that such a horse would be DNA'd and panel tested before being bred.
    This is an even bigger issue with horses of unknown parentage.....if they are "coloured" then to some people it is a bonus.
    People might say I like the hard feet of an Appy, and the hardiness and the stamina. But these traits were condensed and very much the norm in the Appies of old. Now watered down in horses who have a great % of QH blood.
    What was that Audie Murphy movie..........love that film. :rockon:

I laugh cause it seems the easiest to pass on genes in the Appy are the ones that produce the whispy tail & no mane, PLUS the "I don't have to" gene. Least my friends old mare lived by that mantra. "You want me to trot or jog....I don't have to". "There is a hill to go up?......I don't have to". :lol:

17. Could it be that a spotted andalusian x woud bring more $$$$.:}

18. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

Just reading this thread I remembered about a couple of amazing Andalusian/ Appaloosa cross stallions back home that I was fortunate to ride for the large warmblood stud I was working for at the time. They had come in to be brought on and produced for dressage mainly.
    One was very loudly marked and we took them both to the big annual Andalusian show at Stoneleigh where they both won their classes both in hand and under saddle.
    The cross was amazing and really really good fun to ride. Fabulous movement, sharp, keen and fun.....:)