Appalusian...reseach for future breeding

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Dreamchaser, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Just wanting postive feedback about breeding an Appaloosa mare to an Andalusian stallion in wa with no grey genes....perfer buckskin but have had no luck finding them in wa....I have found a few e.g SP Cholita Rhythm (Brown/black) from Torridon Lodge Stud in Serpentine.....

2. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

Goodluck finding a purebred Andi that's buckskin.

It's not a good cross either IMO having bred and owned both breeds.

3. All feedback (positive and negative) is good.;)
    Actually people tend to learn more and faster from a negative one*#), it makes them think it over more.:)*
    I don't care about the color (you don't ride color), what would stop me from doing the cross is the movement.:))) Appys on average are flat kneed movers while Andys on the contrary have a lot of knee. I prefer to breed like to like. JMO

4. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-known Member

Personally, im a purebred girl too..... as much as some X breeds become great eventers.... not all breeds should be crossed

5. farfromhome

farfromhome Well-known Member

what is your reaons for this particular cross ?

and why is colour specific ?

:)

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Grey genes I have been told will roan out any appaloosa's coating the foal may have in the future...as I am after colour with the movement of the Andulasian...

7. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Why not a Knabstrupper? Haven't seen one in the flesh...but I know they're a WB-type horse *#) with colour.

I also just discovered there's a stud in WA :D

8. Sharaway

Grey doesn't roan out a horse, roan, roams out a horse, Appy's carry roan and what is called "varnish" which can appear to wash out the colour, some few spots can start out loud and fade out to near white as they age, this has nothing to do with being either grey or roan.

As Lena has said, very different movement, that will not cross well, if you want Andi movement buy an Andi, if you want Appy colour buy an Appy.

Or if you want an Appy with better movement buy a knabstrupper or purpose bred Sportaloosa.

For the colour your after you would be better to look to breed a chestnut Appy mare to the Cremello/champagne Lustiano still no guarantee with the movement, if the mare is built down hill and flat kneed you will not get the movement ever.

No that knows either of these breeds well will recommend this cross, it smacks of a kid wanting a colored pony with big movement with no real idea that it might take 6-8 generations of very selective breeding to come close to a usuable animal that meets the criteria.

But hey, I'm sure the foal will be cute and colored and thats all some people care about.

Not being negative, just know how impossible your dream is.

9. Jbear123

Jbear123 Active Member

Dream Chaser: Do u plan on registering this cross? as I know it will not be a registerable cross with the AHAA ( Andalusian Assoc ) and is questionable as to weather the AAA ( appy Assoc ) will except it as a registerable cross either.

It would make a lovely cross as a riding horse yes but crossing to a nice moving Tb would get a lovely cross too I have seen some lovely Tb X Appies and wow can they move a much more viable and all ready successfully proven cross.

Have you spoken to Torriden are you sure she will be willing to offer her stallions services to this sort of cross? I wouldn't except an Appy to my Andy stallion, I just dont see it as a desirable cross nor are you garenteed that the X will cross well and you'll get the type of horse you are speeking off with lovely movement and spots because it isnt garenteed nor a cross I have seen before hense why I wouldnt be willing to risk putting my stallions name to it.

ok ok maybe I'm being a bit open but this is my opinion :)
    Good luck I hope you have success and get the horse you wish, maybe try the new buckskin Andy colt over in QLD he is lovely and she has him advertised as a dilute mostly rather than an andy :).

10. Diana

Diana Gold Member

(Sharaway do you mean Bay to cremello/perlino? For buckskin is all.. :) )

11. Sharaway

Sorry Di yes lol :) otherwise we'd have us a pallyappyllusion lol

12. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Actually if you are looking to breed "spots" you do not want grey. As the OP said if the horse throws the grey then your foal will grey out. Then even your spotty foal will grey out. Varnish is different completely;)

To the OP: What would your purpose for this foal be? I have no problems with crossbreeds if they are bred for a useable/saleable purpose, after all most riding horses are crossbreds of some type:)

13. Sharaway

Elanda, you misread what I meant, the op was told that grey causes horses to roan out, when it doesn't, will cause them to go grey but not roan.

14. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

thank you to everyone with their postive input as I said at the start Im reseaching this topic as my filly is only three and have only started thinking about whom I would bred her to in the future.... AAA would not let me register the foal as we have just bred an beautiful purebred freisan with an appaloosa mare and have had a black filly....

oh to stop any confusion, I meant that I didnt want the chance that I would get a grey....as I am after the colour of the appaloosa.( my filly is red dun snowflake blanket)

Jbear123 - you make a very valid point as I could see why owner of this beautiful well moving andy wouldnt want to bred with outside bred mares and when I find the stallion Im looking for will take that in mind. thank you

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  15. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

oh dear lordie me, I saw the ad for this mare.....*cries and shakes head*

16. Picup436

Picup436 Active Member

Why not look for a Appy stallion that can move?

17. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

SPORTALOOSA INTERNATIONAL

Sportaloosa International is a registry for Appaloosa, Knabstrupper and appaloosa spotted sport horses.

Registered Sportaloosas can have points recorded in whatever discipline you choose to compete in as well as have their pedigree and breedings recorded. The Sportaloosa database makes registered pedigrees, breeding records and points details freely available online.

DEFINITIONS

Spotted blood - the Sportaloosa's spotted blood can come from either the registered Appaloosa or the Knabstrupper, or a combination of both.

Eligible non-spotted blood - Sportaloosas can be crossed with registered Warmblood, Thoroughbred, Arabian, Andalusian, Lusitano, Friesian, Stock Horse and Quarter Horses of appropriate sport horse type and temperament.

Ineligible non-spotted blood - crosses to horses of any breed not included in the definition of eligible non-spotted blood above are not eligible.

Ineligible colours - crosses to grey, classic roan, paint or pinto horses are not eligible regardless of breed.

18. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

Im sorry Dreamchaser, but I don't think you will get a lot of support for this. Andalusian's and appaloosa's just dont seem like a good cross and I doubt you will find a market for them.

19. eventingchild

eventingchild Well-known Member

and who would have thought an TB/Clydie/Appy would have been a good mix...Janet has certainty proved it was a work of magic, not just Jackson is super talented, all of the horses are! I can't wait till his younger brothers are older and out competing to!!!

20. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

I have a beautiful son of my old WB stallion Highfield Vivaldi, who's mother is the GP Appy mare "I'm Sundays Silhouette" by I'm Sundays Sensation who was also GP too!!.
    He isnt coloured himself but seemingly carrys the genetics to thow colour to coloured mares.
    He is dark liver chestnut and flaxen mane/tail and whites socks/blaze.
    His movement is incredible........probably better than his late sire and equally as good as his dam at this age.
    He may be a great option for your mare as this will be a registerable foal with the AAA.......(appy x WB)
    :))
    sorry just had to add that the Sportaloosa society is just another registry for other spotted horses.....its not world recognised and dosnt count for alot when selling on progeny etc or for breeding purposes......its a "sport horses registry" ........be it useful or not!!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011