Anyone else on foal watch?

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by sil, Oct 28, 2010.

1. sil

sil Gold Member

Last few night have been okay, the alarm isn't being set off too often thankfully. Scarlett is bagging up now so the countdown has started :)

Is anyone else enjoying this all hours of the night haze?

2. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Yes, my welsh mare is due in 3 days. She has bagged up and is starting to get very loose in her behind . Grumpy and sulky and not so vocal when it comes to her dinner. BUT............................ due to my untimely house move, ive had to foal her down at Arylin's place, so i will probably miss my baby being born.:( So its poor Neryl who will have the sleepless nights and worry. Im hoping we can catch her starting and i can make a mad dash up to watch her foal.
    I just hope she gives Neryl an easy foaling and not much worry. :) Im soooo looking forward to this little foal, as my two young daughters are going to be smitten with it . It will be there first foal to play with as well. If its a filly, its definately a keeper.:)

3. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

here's hoping to safe arrivals
    i have three due all got bags on them like jersey cows :D
    can't wait to see what precious babes hit the ground
    no foaling alarms lots of torch work and my dogs seem to bark even ever a foal is born ';' must be the way the mares nicker ;)
    cheers shyloh :):}

4. sil

sil Gold Member

I'm blessed with a tech savvy boyfriend (I am too, but not when it comes to cameras/networks) so I not only have the foal alarm, but a day/night camera on the TV inside so I can see what's going on.

Right now my big lump is amuzing herself by throwing all the hay out of her feed bin - ingrated wench!

5. Yes, we are on a foal watch, the last for us this year.:)

6. sil

sil Gold Member

Scarlett was nice enough to let me sleep all through the night - no alarm!

7. beks

beks Well-known Member

Big black visiting TB, sets of the alarm a couple of times a night.
    Out I rush only to find her lying flat out happily snoring, maybe I should tell her the story of the boy who cried wolf hehehe.
    :))

8. sil

sil Gold Member

Yeah I've had that a couple of times now! Who's the TB in foal to?

9. beks

beks Well-known Member

Seranade!
    Stunning full sibling, died though such a shame.

10. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Technically....I still have 2 days to wait. But have been on foal-watch since we got home from Bali.

I think she knows she is having a colt, so is holding onto it cos they're annoying liddle buggers :D Plus I've given her quite the lecture on what will happen if it's a filly :mad:....so maybe it IS a filly and she's too scared now to let it go :eek::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In foal to SP Cholita Rhythm
    [​IMG]

*Excited*

11. sil

sil Gold Member

wow some amazing foals due,. can't wait for photos :D

I prodded Scarlett this morning; ligaments are definitely softening up now and bag is getting bigger. yay!

12. jackstock

jackstock New Member

Yes we are waiting-a few days to go.So far,we have been present at every foal birth as soon as they get serious,partly cause we check frequently once we know its imminent,but partly because when one goes into labour and lays down,the other in the adjoining yard lets us know,as do every other donkey.By the time the chorus gathers full volume,and the dog howls..everyone with a 3lk range knows a foal is coming.
    I would really prefer daylight births..or at least not raining,as is predicted again for this weekend,this has been our wettest/winter/spring in a decade..good news however there is a time and a place!

[​IMG]

13. TEECEE

TEECEE Active Member

We still have two due to foal. A maiden who should be due this weekend,(????) but is not showing any signs as yet. The other is having her second foal and although not due for another 9-10 days, is showing signs that she might pop it out earlier.
    Foaling alarms are on and the camera is being setup again tomorrow. I can only hope that they decide to take pity on me and go into labour at a reasonable time and not set the alarm off constantly every night.

14. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

That is one huge belly jackstock!! - and don't be complaining about the rain!!

15. sil

sil Gold Member

wow look at that belly! The look on her face says it all LOL

16. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

what a cute mum and her belly is huge
    heres to a safe arrival jackstock :))
    cheers shyloh :):}

17. sil

sil Gold Member

Another night of foal watch; watching Scarlett eat her dinner on the monitor. I wonder if it is going to be a filly or a colt!

18. Roodog

Roodog Active Member

foal watch

Been on watch for the last few nights... foaling yard next to house under light so I just have to peek out of the window...I started to put the monitor on 2 nights ago, it went off at 3.30am this morn... I managed jump out of bed (sending 2 cats flying) to pull trackies and boots on and run out the door with torch in hand all done in under 2min...too find.. a snoring whale flat out in her yard.. left whale with a wtf look on her face, went back inside to see 2 cats freaking with hair standing up coz, I'd left alarm screaming as I ran out... thankfully I've only got 1 to foal down this year.. I think the cats would leave home if I had more to watch...

19. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Back to bed.....*yawn*.....

20. sil

sil Gold Member

LMFAO Roo! We had that too the first time the alarm went off, ran out to find Scarlett flat out sleeping. The pets have been good thankfully.

Sleep well wattle :)

No alarm for us again last night. I'm really glad Scarlett doesn't seem to be one of those mares who sleeps flat out often.