any hope??

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Pepsea, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

is there any hope for me? ive been riding at a riding school for a few years, and i need to get out and do things, like get a horse, but we dont have the money, i feel like giving up my dream because of this ='( will i ever get my own horse ='(

<font face=verdana><font size=1> <font color=skyblue>I'm Just Me
    Cherrie...

Emma

2. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Cherrie keep your hopes up. Everyone starts from scratch. Your got MANY MANY years ahead of you so don't rush anything...learn as much as you can while your there. It doesn't hurt to have HUGE dreams...sometimes that can be painful that they don't come true but in the end everything does. Talk to your riding school or maybe a friend with a horse that you can lease but keep on their property or something. What riding school do you go to?...

~§Arnie§~

3. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

life is what you make of it. if you let it hold you back, then it will.
    one of wa's most respected instructors, as a child got really sick and had to stay at home. i gather she was at boarding school, and her illness was contageous. her dad had a cow farm. she did not have a horse and really wanted to ride, so she learnt to ride a cow.
    there is more to becoming a good horse person than owening a horse and riding every day.

-bec-

4. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

thanx for replying, i ride at horse education center. and im helping a lady work her horses, but my dream is to be able to have my own horse, i cant even lease one cos it's still costs a lot of money we dont have. i would give up so much to have a horse, my parenst just dont see it, i need a horse to learn from it, i want to work with horses. I dont want to be riding at a riding school for the rest of my life, i want to get out and try some showing, go places and do things that you can only do with your own horse. I think my dad is gonna give in soon!

Cherrie...

Emma

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

How old are you? I used to be the same but insted of begging my parents I rode and rode as hard as I could at the riding school...I took in every bit of detail I was taught and I tried hard. Through my progress my parents then realised that I was too good of a rider and progressing too fast to be riding, riding school horses and through my instructor they bought me my 1st horse...its called Dedication...

~§Arnie§~

6. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

Don't give up...You'll have plently of opportunities, if you are patience. Sucess tastes even sweeter when you've worked hard for it. And yes, just sitting back and waiting is work when it comes to wanting your own horse.

I know it's hard, I've had to put off getting my own horse for so many years it's not funny, but I know when I finally do get my horse it will be worth it. Once I made it through the years when I was dependant on my parents for everything I realised that they weren't being 'mean' by denying me my own horse, just sensible.

I probably wont even get my own horse for a while now but I'm going to do as Arnie said and ride and ride as well as I can, and I've been patient enough so far I know I can wait until my sistuation is right to buy my first horse.

-Danielle

7. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Okay, 6 years ago I was exactly in your position. I rode at a riding school once a fortnight in return for work as my parents couldn't afford a single lesson. In the next few years after I left the riding school i rode everyone elses horses- from a B grade show jumper to an unbroken 3 year old TB. It was frustrating not to have my own horse but it was also fun and much easier for me to handle time wise, ie there was no obligation to do certain things. It will make you a better rider and a better person. I have had my own horse for nearly 3 years now through hard work and as Arnie says, determination. be aware that it is expensive, i never considered all the little and sometimes big extras required to own a horse and found out the hard way. Leasing is good, dependin on the conditions of the lease. Better still find someone who doesn't have time to work their own horse and do it for them. It will all come together if your dreams are that strong- as mine were.

8. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

i help a lady called christine ride her horses, both young, a 6yr old and a 3yr old. ive learnt more by ridng them and it has made me want a horse of my own. i wont give up because i know i would let my self and may other people down. as you all say things will come good in time, i hope so!!!!!!!

Cherrie...

Emma

9. crave

crave Well-known Member

All horses need not cost a lot of money. My daughters within a year of each other were both GIVEN 2 beautiful ponies which we still have, not a cent to pay. We bought all their gear secondhand... some outstanding bargains if you are prepared to look for them. My sister trains racehorses and my wonderful TB was only $200.00 as his trainer was also my sisters farrier and he wanted to quit him, he his the most outstanding horse with great looks and confirmation, a real bargain. She rang me just the other night to say she has heard of 2 more great TB's for sale and both are under $500.00. My other sister bought a QH mare ,5years, old out of the paper for $400.00 as her owner was transfered to the eastern states and she wanted a good home quickly. Hang in there kiddo, there are some great opportunities waiting around the corner. Oh and by the way my farrier was given 2 horses last week, an arab mare and a clydesdale cross from a client that has given up riding.

crave

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Your going the right way with the apprenticeship...get into riding as much as you can...and when I wasn't around horses (when I had nothing) I'd buy a magazine, draw a horse anything to keep my mind on them! Their gorgous! Never give them up!...

~§Arnie§~

11. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

Hey Emma,
    I am in the same position as you. I have a horse, but my dad and step-mum aren't very nice, as they wont let me keep my horse down near my house. It is at there house, 2 hours away from where I live. He is in Midland. My mum cant drive us to see him because we don't have a car. I only get to see my horse every fortnight, if dad lets us go to his house. My mum can't afford riding lessons, but she has agreed to me having one lesson per month. I get a discount, because I work their twice or three times a week. I sometimes get free rides [not lessons] on their horses if I do enough work. I am not very confident. I don't canter on any horse, unless it is mine, or in a lesson. I have had many bad memories. There are no horses where I live, so I can't even go to see them. Wednesdays and Fridays are my best days. I get to go to the riding school to work. I am to young to get an apprentiship [spelling??] and I am too young to get proper work so I have no money for lessons, etc. I am not going to give up. Sarah is my best friend, as she reminds me of how I have to keep my chin up, keep trying and no matter how hard it gets, dont give up, ever. Something good will always come your way if you think positive.

~To ride a horse is to borrow freedom...~

12. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Cherrie , keep working where you are , and keep your ears and eyes open. If you are patient , and it becomes known that you want a horse for youself , you might be surprised what will happen.
    I have had to retire from riding due to family circumstances , but through all the years that we did showing , sporting and eventing , we only bought one pony. All the rest were given or leased to us. When a horse was leased to us , I made sure that we had a paper signed that we would have this particular horse for at least 2 yrs or more.
    I learned as much as I could , and taught my sons to ride. When people saw that we really knew what we were doing , and that our horses were really well looked after , we had more offers than we could handle.
    I know how hard it is not to be able to afford everything now , but try and find a part time job if you can and save all that you can.
    Dont look for the best of everything first up, but look for second hand gear to start with. It can always be well looked after and will last a long time. I still have some of the things that I bought nearly 30yrs ago , and they are still in great condition , and a lot of it was 2nd hand.
    Be patient mate.

Jo

13. JessiTrist

Hey Widgelli,
    Thanks to your advice I might have found a well paying part time job, that only consists of one day a week working! Hopefully I will be able to afford riding lessons once a week!
    I am also working at a stable to get as much horsey time as possible, and on Friday i saw a newborn foal!

14. Dressage Lover

Dressage Lover New Member

Hey cherrie! I ride at the Horse Ed centre as well what lesson are you in? I'm in the Sat 10 am and used to be in the Wed 5:30. Never give up hope! I have been asking for a horse for 2 years and nothing ever happened. I explained to my non-horsey parents that I can't show without a horse and I really want to so finally the gave in and now I have a horse on trial! What are the names of the horses you help out with? Have you thought about sharing one of the riding school horses? It's about $50 or up depending on how many times you ride it.

15. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

dressage lover, im in the thursday 5.30. the with with leasing a horse from horse HEC is that you cant have them on sundays (ponyclub day!) Thanx to everyone that posted things to help me!

Cherrie...

Emma

16. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

there are alot of horsey things to do without actually owning one, you obviously get to be around them alot at the hec, all you have to do is have it as your goal to one day own your own, the less you wait for it to happen the quicker it will seem to!! (kinda like watching a pot boil...)

17. JessiTrist

Cherrie {Emma} it is hard, but dont think it wont happen. My dad never used to think I was any good, he had never really watched me ride, but one day I was riding a friends horse {Meredith's Horse} and they decided we were pretty good and Meredith offered for us to keep him at her place. They agreed and found a nice cheap horse {Tristan} even if I dont get to see him everyday I still love him, my friends at school talk to me like i dont own a horse because I cant ride it all the time, but I dont listen to them, and I work at the stables, just spend as much time doing horsey things and less time wishing for a horse [​IMG] If your parents start talking about horses with you just hint that having your own horse would mean being a better rider, etc.

18. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

My dad loves to watch me ride, he thinks im great, he says he wants to get me a horse, he means it, but our family done have enough money, but i think i'll be getting soon hopefully, and as a lot of people said in posts about, secondhand gear! i agree, cheeper and still good quality! THANX everyone.. oh and jess, why do people say you dont own coe you dont ride tristian all the time?? tell them there just jealous and make them more jealosu by talking about him, :p lol

Cherrie...

Emma

19. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thats a step ya dad wanting to buy your a horse! woohoo...don't mention it too much to them...like I sed try to prove to them how good you are insted of forcing them to see...

~§Arnie§~

20. JessiTrist

Think of your self as lucky! lol!
    I do try and make my friends jealouse, but they all have horses too so it doesnt work, lol