any experience with "wobblers"

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by momo, Dec 20, 2007.

1. momo

momo New Member

I have a yearling filly that had a neck trama and has now been diagnosed with "wobblers syndrome" i was hoping that someone has some expereince with this and have used some thereapy to help it. She has had bowen and seen a chirio and been xrayed and is taking herbs at the moment. she has improved but as seemed to have palteued as it happened 6 weeks ago. The vet has siad ther is no hope for her but i would like to think that there is some sort of alteranative therepy that might help. all feed back is greatly appriciated.

thanks in advance!:)

2. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Sorry Momo the only wobblers I have ever seen or known about have all been PTS quite quickly. Unfortunately as far as I am aware there is no cure but I'd be really happy to have that proved wrong if anyone else has had success with one.

3. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Wobbler syndrome (ataxia) is usually caused by damage to the spinal cord (usually damage to the neck vertebrae causing pressure on the spinal cord) whereby the horse is given two months to live to determine whether any marked improvement is seen. If no marked improvement is seen within this two month period the horse is pts sadly. If a degree of improvement in symptoms is seen, the horse is given a year to recover, although they never recover completely, they may have difficulty with sharp turns/sudden halts, floating, and may drag their feet somewhat. They may possibly be ridden, but only lightly, and it may prove unsafe.

There is another type of wobbler syndrome, which arises from a general respiratory infection some months before the spinal symptoms appeared. The inco-ordination develops so gradually that it may go unnoticed until it is obvious. The prognosis is better in these cases, but will still take at least a year to show great improvement. All afflictions of the brain and spinal cord are very slow to heal, if at all.

I hope that your horse shows some improvement, and I wish you luck with it, not a nice thing to have happen :( .

4. pso

pso Gold Member

Sorry again momo...The only wobblers that I have known (both in Australia and UK), have been PTS....:(

5. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I have a 17 hh TB that has wobblers. He was always very clumsy as a young horse and very slow and deliberate in his walking. When not actively ridden into contact he would walk like he was a on a tight rope, one foot in front of the other and sway from side to side. He was never dangerous to ride and he competed successfully in novice dressage and the odd little ODE.

When he was about 12 yrs old, he had a prang in the paddock where he busted his sesamoid bone and tore a cruciate ligament. That prang really seemed to stuff his movement up completely and the vet diagnosed wobblers. Given his history, the vet considered that he had always had a mild case of wobblers, that the fall had exacerbated.

He has never been ridden again. Still walks like a drunk but also knuckles his near hind fetlock over and drags it on the ground. Very unco now in all his gaits. Basically unusable but perfectly happy as a paddock moocher and uncle to the yearling.

6. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Wobbers dont have much of a future as you dont want to ride them obviously!!

Green dream is the kindest thing as the condition does not havea good prognosis, and the quality of life and loss of useful purpose must be considered.

I am sorry for you and your poor horse!! Very sad situation you are in mate.

7. momo

momo New Member

OOHHH! not quite the answers i was hoping for!!
    but thanks for you your input anyway. I am hoping to breed from her if all goes well so putting her to sleep isnt an option as yet. It is the eason for miricles so i will hjope for that!!

8. Jumping Bean

I disagree, give it the two months 'wait and see' period before destroying the horse, a filly may have a future as a brood mare if she shows some improvement. Bearing in mind that it will take at least one year to see any significant change, if any change at all.

The prognosis is guarded, but not necessarily hopeless, she may have a limited usefulness but there is always hope; as I said the two months is generally make or break time.

9. kp

kp Well-known Member

There are many things that can produce symptoms similar to wobblers. Has she been x-rayed? With the breeding side be careful as what causes wobbles in some cases can be hereditary. I know it is difficult to go through but the horse should always come first. Sorry I can't be any more help.

10. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

I highly doubt that a mare with this problem could safely carry a foal full term!!! Pregnancy puts huge stresses on the body and this would just complicate the whole thing!!

11. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Have to agree with you Caroline I would also think that the damage to your filly would make it difficult to live cover her and you would have to AI if she could be bred from at all.
    Fingers crossed that she isn't a wobbler and all the above info is not even needed. Please let us know how she goes.

12. Jumping Bean

That is why it is recommended that the horse be allowed to recover for a year, it IS possible that the spinal cord may heal enough for the horse to carry a foal to full term normally, however a caesarean section may be required in some cases, depending upon the success of the recovery.

I had a horse that recovered from wobbler syndrome some years ago, I took him on knowing that he had it, and he had a reasonably normal life. He was one of the lucky ones. He had slipped and jammed his chest and neck into a gate in his former owner's paddock, and was given a death sentence, however 18 months later he was almost normal again.

The advice that I have given is the advice given to me by the vet I dealt with. There is hope for this horse, providing it shows improvement in symptoms within two months.

13. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

There is a very well bred TB stallion at stud here that had wobbler syndrome. He never raced (obviously) but because of his breeding was persevered wtih and he has made his way down to the 'pleasure' industry and his progeny apparently do very well.
    But I have had contact with two yearling TB's with wobbler (one at Limestone Park and one at Muresk) and they were both put down.

14. madcow

madcow Guest

Oh Bugger Momo:(

They are very depressing responses for the most part. I hope your girl gets better and recovers like Jumping Beans boy did to almost completely normal.

Good on you for looking everywhere for things to help your filly. I'd be exactly the same in your situation**)

Goodluck and keep us updated on what happens

15. Jumping Bean

Yes there may yet be hope Momo :) I dearly hope for your and your horse's sake that there is in this case. Don't be afraid to shop around and get different vets' opinions either, the more info the better!

16. momo

momo New Member

Thanks For All Your Feedback, I Havent Given Up Hope As Yet. She Is Graded A Number Three But I Feel She Is Not As Bad As That As She Doesnt Fall Over Any More. The Vet Said I Could Breed From Her But The Service Might Have To Be Ai. She Is An Amazing Girl And Both In Breeding And Temperment And Am Reluctant To Give Up Just Yet. Heres Hoping For A Christmas Miricle!!:) :)

17. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Fingers crossed for your Christmas Miracle Momo.
    Here's hoping your special girl will pull through with flying colours.

18. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Hi Momo, yes i agree give her as much time as she needs to recover. It is a personal choice though and if you feel she is worth the wait I recommend it. A good friend of mine had a 2yo QH gelding diagnosed with suspected wobblers. He was bought down to stay at my place and had a series of bowen treatments, thanks to a Stockies regular!! ;) He is almost 100% now! Good luck, keep us posted!