Any experience/feedback on Xplorer floats?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Nicki, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

I've started the hunt for a float and budget is $11-12k. Ideally I'd like a double straight load extended with tack box and barn doors which means would have to go 2nd hand but then I saw the Xplorer Oxley which has that, looks great and is in my budget, and new so it has 2 year warranty and the first service free. Can't seem to find any info or reviews on the net though, could be a bad sign.

Has anyone seen or used one, any pros or cons? Worth going to have a look at?

2. Greatshow

Greatshow New Member

Xplorer floats

This month's Perth Rider has article on these floats

3. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Awesome, thanks!

4. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Went and checked them out, I like them a lot! Looks like I've found my float :)

5. KKKiroo

KKKiroo Well-known Member

I suggest you talk to someone that already has one....

6. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

And do lots of research into what you want. Also go out and see a few different styles. Check out the specs to, you may find a large range in bay sizes which may be a constraint if you intend on having a large horse in there.

7. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Is there something wrong with them?

8. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Just do your research. I haven't a clue about Xplorer floats but I remember when I was float shopping I saw a certain brand at Equitana and checked it out and damn near put a deposit on one (thankfully I didn't quite have that sort of money with me). What I didn't realize at the time was that I had been lured by the flash shiny look of the thing and the awesome advertising without actually looking at the nitty gritty bits of it. Last day of Equitana I took off my rose coloured glasses, took a mate with me and looked at the nitty gritty and what I saw was different to what I initially saw at the start of Equitana. Needless to say I didn't buy it and ended up with a float from a company that doesn't need to advertise much because word of mouth does it for them. What I ended up with is a float that isn't overly flash to look at (not when compared to the likes of Tender Floats, Equus, Discovery, Stallion etc etc all very good float manufacturers) but one that is exceptionally sturdy, tows like a dream and built to last.

My point is..... be careful to not be lured in by bling.

ETA: the brand I checked out at Equitana is Australian made and what I eventually bought is Australian made so I'm not picking on Chinese made floats in my first example in case anyone had an inkling about the manufacturer I'm referring to.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  9. Skittled

Gonerama, what float did you end up buying?

10. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Ended up buying a Nandor Barcoo that I tweaked a few things on **)

My testimonial, complete with photo, features on their website.

11. Skittled

Nice float!

12. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

there are a few things that I particularly want in a float: no rear leg on the divider, wide padded strong breech doors that won't bend with a good latch or pin that also won't bend, good windows to make it bright and airy (my two load better into a float that isn't too dark), adjustable height chest bars, quality upholstery and lining/floor, extended with front tack box (with quality cupboard construction), recessed handles and tie up points, no sharp hang-up points, front mounted spare tyre, lots of stone guard, filled in draw bar and tail light frames, storm door or barn doors, good paint job and alloy wheels. These floats have all these features, also with 5 way roof vent, sliding side windows with flyscreens and the roof is lined for noise abatement and heat insulation. if I was going to be picky the only things I would prefer would be barn doors instead of storm door, latches on breech doors instead of pin but the pin on this thing is the same thickness as the one on my Reece hitch so I don't reckon it will bend! Also would like a swinging removable head divider but this one can be removed with a spanner. The centre divider and chest bars are fully removable too, and there are two beds that fold up from the sides. Extras that I would eventually like to add - yard panels, water tank, awning - can easily be retrofitted, and I like the design of the hooks for the yard panels. My husband especially likes the two year warranty and free first service :)

Also, they will do a custom colour stripe with automotive 2pac paint to match the towing vehicle at no extra cost.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  13. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Cheers I'm happy with it. It hasn't been anywhere in the last 12 months, last horse in it was Snorty and the next horse in it will probably be Elle when she gets up here to the NT in I don't know how many months/years.

Doesn't meet the OPs requirements (although I'm sure they'd custom build to her requirements no worries, a lot of float manufacturers do) but just depends what you're after.

The back strut (above the tail lights thingo) isn't filled in with chequer plate or anything like that but it does have a solid piece of bar running down it so that a horses foot can't get through it BUT you can still see through it in your rear view mirrors **) I've often driven along and seen a car coming up behind me and wondered that if that strut was filled in solid would I see that car....... nope!

To the OP, if Xplorer floats meet your requirements then go for it mate **) Be sure to put a 'YIPPY NEW FLOAT' thread up when you get it though. I love checking out peoples shiny new floats :D There's so many options and manufacturers out there these days :blink:

14. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

Nicki, I also looked at the Xplorer after being advised by a friend that the quality was good. I am very against Chinese floats however to say these floats impressed me was an understatement. The company has answered my abundance of queries, allowed me to take full photos (I took underneath and had them looked over by a manufacturer of floats made in Aus) The features were fantastic! I also went and looked at the first float they made and it was over a year old, held up fantastic. Those owners looked at the photos I took and stated that the company had listened to them as they had suggested some changes which would work better. Those changes were evident on the new float I looked at.

I will be buying one of these however need to get my shed up first (to house new float lol) :)

15. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Thanks for that info, very reassuring. We haven't done the deal yet, the bank (husband) hasn't arranged finance yet but hopefully before the end of the week will be able to confirm the order. The man I met with was really good to talk to and confidently answered all my questions, his family have horses so he understood all the safety and convenience issues I raised and pointed out where his floats' features address those, as well as showing me additional features I hadn't thought of but was impressed by.

I did ask about storage, he said because the paint/finish is high quality automotive it doesn't need to be stored undercover, just clean it every so often as you would a car and it should be fine, same as a car. I used to sell aftercare for car dealerships and it's true that if you allow dirt, bird poo, tree sap etc to sit on your paintwork it will become damaged/discoloured, and always attend to chipped/scratched paint as soon as you notice it so rust doesn't get started.

Husband is now saying my Q7 is looking a bit old and wants to get something newer, so we may have a whole new towing package! He wants either a Range Rover or Discovery 4 so I might need that matching colour stripe after all :D

There's an awfully nice red Disco 4 for sale at the moment...