Another Fly Rug Question

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Angimac, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Angimac

Angimac Well-known Member

Just enquiring what other stockie members think is best for keeping the flies off their horse's belly, i.e. either cross over, belly patch or longer sides on the rug, and that gives comfortable coverage.
    Also Elvis wears a 6.0 foot rug, but this does not meet under his belly, has anyone else had this problem, if so how did you fix it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Erika Roberts

Erika Roberts Active Member

I have a rug that has a belly bit. Instead of sirsingles it has a bit of matereal that you do up. Works a treat! Brought it off ebay and I think weatherbeeta has a fly rug with one as well

3. Angimac

Erika thanks for your response.

4. K85

K85 New Member

I have a Weatherbeeta Sheild Combo and it works a treat. I've also used the Caribu mesh rugs but i prefer the Weatherbeeta as it covers his whole belly and only clips over the ears not down his whole face. The ears seem to stay put too with a cashel fly veil on, but without the fly veil they do fall off.

5. Angimac

K85 I think that is the rug I looked at getting last summer. It seemed a bit heavy to me, and when I tried a 6.0' on Elvis it fitted him from the withers to tail, but was too tight at the belly and too long on the neck (I worried that it would fall onto his eyes or get caught on something). Guess Elvis is just a funny shape. Ha

6. K85

K85 New Member

I agree they do look and feel really heavy but my boy has been pretty good in it over the last few weeks of heat and he is a hot horse, I can't have a cotton on him in summer he just lathers up. He does sweat a little around his shoulders in the Weatherbeeta but that is about it. It's fairly snug around the belly on my boy too, but I haven't noticed any rub marks and it doesn't move which is a constant battle for me!

Good luck, it's a nightmare to try and keep sensitive horses happy with the bugs! My poor boy comes up in massive welts and seems to get attacked more than the other horses, I put it down to his light Pally colour must attract all the flies.

7. Angimac

Yes K85 will have to keep looking. We are having a terrible stable fly season, they started early and have not let up. Also had a tick on a juvenile kangaroo that was about 1cm in diameter. Yuk

8. K85

K85 New Member

Angimac I've just hear about turmeric which is 'suppoosed' to be good at repelling the bugs. I've just started Sheik on it so i'll let you know how he goes...

9. Angimac

K85 please let me know if it works.

10. Angimac

Was just researching summer/fly rugs for this coming summer and found something similar to the weatherbeet rugs, but it has a piece of elastic that is supposed to keep the head part in place on the horse.
    Has any stockies had experience with these types of rugs. Does it prevent the hood falling on the eyes if the neck is a bit too long.
    Elvis takes a 6.0, this is fine on the body, but when I tried one of the full combos (which stopped at the ear holes) last year the neck was a bit long and when he grazed it fell forward.

11. KKKiroo

KKKiroo Well-known Member

I paid a small fortune for a fly rug from Wild Horse Aust and its useful, heavy and fits terribly. I don't use it.

I've also fed turmeric in the past but have never heard it being used as a repellent and I'm not sure it worked that way either... We have flies and mozzies...

12. kp

kp Well-known Member

That's interesting. I buy one of these rugs for my horse every year. I swear by them on him. They fit him well, he doesn't get overly hot in it and it does help keep the insects at bay.

13. Angimac

Thanks KKKiroo and Kp, I wanted to get in early because we have problems with stable flies and ticks (paddocks visited by kangaroos) in the warmer months.
    Hopefully someone has used a summer or fly rug with the elastic fasters that go around the neck behind the poll.

14. realalvin

realalvin New Member

Whetherbeeta ? i think it is a little bit expensive....not very necessary...I do not think it is a good choice.. My bucas works a treat. i think it is the best brand . i mean comfortable .Well. there are still many good affordable brands…a friend of mine recommend me Harrison Howard. I bought a rug from them and it’s also good.