Another feed question Rice bran or maxi soy

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by giddyupbec, Sep 2, 2013.

1. giddyupbec

giddyupbec New Member

Hi, to everyone taking the time to read this. I am about to order my next pallet load of horse food and since my babies have grown up decided to tweak my feed order slightly.
    I'm currently feeding ad lib grass hay, a biscuit of lucerne hay a day and good pasture. My hard feed base is crushed lupins and a vitamin/ mineral supplement.

To this I'm tossing up whether to add rice bran or maxisoy fibre pellets. So what would you add to the lupins? Rice bran or maxisoy? I have run this through feed xl and both balance out but wondering which would be more economical to feed and be better for weight gain?

Thank you in advance for any replies :)*

2. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Maxisoy is the 'in' thing at the moment.. But I love ricebran. I had a skinny TB and he gained weight, got shiny and healthy when I added just a kilo per day to his hardfeed of lupins and lucerne which he wasn't gaining weight on.
    I fed nutririce versatile, which is a rice bran base with a bit of grain as well in a pellet. It was $30 per 22.5kg bag, but I found I had to feed very little to do great things. :) Would obviously work out cheaper by the pallet.

3. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Definitely ricebran. Enough protein already in the diet.

4. giddyupbec

giddyupbec New Member

Thank you for the replies Myyky and ClubIgnite.
    Yes Myyky maxisoy is the in thing ATM and I do love both the maxisoy and the rice bran which is why I'm finding it so hard to choose! My feed man will give me a better discount if I divide the pallet into 2 products rather than 3.
    ClubIgnite I think the protein content is pretty much the same in both of them, you may be thinking of the FFS as that is very high in protein.

5. Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon Well-known Member

Whatever is cheapest? :)*

If both products balance fine in FeedXL, then go with what's going to be better for the wallet :p

I know a few people who have had horse's go a little hot on RiceBran, but then that's an individual thing, so it's always worth a shot!

6. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

And ricebran contains more starch than Maxi-Soy also.......:}

7. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

No I knew you meant the low GI pellets. I should have gone into more detail but typing on phone is frustrating! I meant that- for what you are actually gaining from the feed, which for maxisoy is half the DE of ricebran hence you would have to feed double 'technically' to get the same DE, at twice the protein 'cost' as you dont really need it..
    Which is better for weight gain, obviously ricebran, which is cheaper- maxisoy, which is more 'economical'? It depends how you look at them in terms of viability and usefulness in factoring them into your particular diet.

8. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

Maybe slightly off topic but my horse doesn't seem to like eating MaxiSoy even when mixed with molasses. Any ideas?

9. giddyupbec

giddyupbec New Member

Thank you for all the responses. Nickelodeon the maxisoy is definitely the cheaper option as it is soaked and expands.

Caroline you are correct the rice bran does have more starch but this isn't a problem for my horses at this stage.

ClubIgnite you are spot on that is exactly my problem! I know the rice bran is more fattening and can be fed in smaller amounts but the horses seem to do really well on the maxisoy too (especially the thoroughbred) and I love that its extra fibre for them. With it being cheaper i can give the horses 3 times the amount of maxisoy compared to ricebran for the same price! I was feeding cracked lupins, rice bran, maxisoy and vit/min mix and they were doing great, my thoroughbred is by far the hardest to maintain weight.

I may just get the ricebran and lupins as the pallet order and buy maxisoy as I go as it is cheaper, ugh its too hard to choose! I love lupins though so they will stay as the hard feed base! Thanks again for taking the time to reply