Another coat one... but...

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by JessiTrist, Nov 16, 2007.

1. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

hey all,

well another feed question from me, surprise surprise haha

Id like to get Chickies coat looking as healthy and radiant as I can in the next three weeks, and have been thinking about a few different supplements or additives I can give her

BUT

id just like to know if there was anything I could give her that isnt going to put any weight on her? she is on a 'diet' at the moment, and I really dont want her to put on any more weight...

2. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

oil, sunflower seeds, ACV.

Jazz is on ACV and and equibillrium vitamen/mineral mix.

3. pso

pso Gold Member

Why not try something like cacoliv?
    Or if you can do injectables...Jurocyl works great!

Everything else is a tad fattening (eg, oil or sf seed or canola) and the little chickie doesnt look like she needs that!

Lots of grooming will help too!:)*

4. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Just try a vitamin mineral supplement like Cell Provide or Equilibrium...they will not make the horse put on weight. Then just use some good grooming products!
    A healthy horse has a good coat, some of those things you can inject/feed a horse will give the illusion of health but an illusion is about it.
    She looks lovely by the way!! :)*

5. rica

rica Well-known Member

Diluted ACV (in water to wet down the feed) works well as it makes the horse/pony salivate and chew his/her food longer. So that then in turn makes the horse absorb more of the feed into his/her system. ACV on its own doesn't have many nutrients so to speak so it will not induce weight gain. I have had my horses on livamol for the past month and their coats are looking really specky, however it has induced weight gain so I am thinking that is probably out of the question.

6. Diablo Equine Services

Diablo Equine Services Well-known Member

the cacoliv stuff seems to really work; my friend has been using it leading up to shows and there is a noiticeable difference. But other than that, a vitamin and mineral supplement - everything else will tend to cause a bit of weight gain!

7. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Please dont touch Jurocyl as it is very nasty chemical base that builds up in the system!!!

Use light cotton rugging, heaps of grooming, natural feeds like black sunnies, rice bran or oil and a vit/min supp to achieve a great coat. Thats it.

Why just 3 weeks???

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  8. Sweet Euphoria

Sweet Euphoria Well-known Member

I love and swear by Biobloom! It is a coat and hoof conditioner. I have a black/brown horse normally, and it turned his coat rich black and shiney. Love the stuff **)

9. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

buckley has a fabulous coat - shiny and dapply. it comes from good feed (nothing spekky and not much really), good roughage, vit/min supp, plenty of grooming, good exercise regime and not over rugging (infact he is nakid). There is no secret addative for a good coat, it is a reflection of the horse's health. There are times when even the healthiest horse looks crappy - i clipped Buckley and then let it grow back and that looked BAD BAD BAD lol. and horses look better in some seasons then others (obviously in spring/summer when their coat is short and thin, plus i have always found mine keep condition better over summer)

10. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Gotta Agree with Heifer, the simpler the better.
    Jazz is on a super simple diet, lots of grazing, grooming every day, etc.

11. JessiTrist

Hey all, I think it might just be her colouring that makes me think she isnt at her best...

She has her summer cottons on, is groomed daily, is on a simple diet with a vit/min supplement...

I dont think Ive ever tried to make a roan look great, ive only ever had shiney bays lol.

12. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

i showed a roan very similar colour to chicki at the royal, his coat was shiny but they dont tend to go irredescent - its just their colouring i think.

13. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

If you only have 3 weeks I'd try cacoliv :)

14. JessiTrist

thanks guys, were do i get cacoliv, just a stockfeeder?

15. pso

pso Gold Member

Yep, the stockfeeder, or you might even have it at work (u still at CF?), if not they can get it....:))

16. JessiTrist

thanks pso, yeah im at CF but dont stock a lot of horsey kinda stuff...

will try the stockfeeders down the road, and oh my gosh its only 2 weeks away now!! still nervous as all hell, hope we do ok!

17. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Big can of Pepi or a hot oil bath, if you want a nice shine quickly:)*

18. JessiTrist

thanks goodie, got some vo5 hot oil here, would that work?

19. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I guess so I haven't used hot oil myself but there was an article in a Horesy mag not long ago about how to apply it. I'm sure other people on here would know how. Pepi (and other sprays) make them really shiny:)*

20. JessiTrist

Ooh cool, the hot oil we have here is what my sister has been using on our old boys mane and tail for shows, so I will ask her how to use it.

Have been looking at some show sheen or something, but Im not too fussed anymore, it is our first show, so long as she is clean and behaves well, i dont mind how shiney she is!