another buckskin question!!

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by wildwelsh, Feb 29, 2012.

1. wildwelsh

wildwelsh Active Member

Hi everybody,.....Ok I am trying to get my head around dilute colours...so be gentle lol!!!

I have a buckskin mare (parents are as follows sire is a pally and dam is a dark brown.)

If I was to put her to a black stallion whose sire was black and dam was dark chestnut is basic terms what are the chances of a black dark brown or even another buckskin foal....?????';':confused:
    OR
    a bay stallion whose dam is a bay and sire is a liver chestnut I think possibly just a dark chestnut...thinking this combo may have more chances of pally...?

Are there any good books that explain colour genetics that are easy to understand?...thanks so much ....:))

2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Both combinations give you a 37.5% chance of a bay/black and 37.5% chance of a buckskin/black buckskin and 12.5% chance of having a chestnut and 12.5% of having a palomino.

For the bay sire you have less than a 5% chance that you may get a black/black buckskin instead of a bay/buckskin and for the black sire it is less than a 20% chance of black/black buckskin.

You have a 50% chance of whatever colour the foal is it will be a dilute :)

http://www.horsetesting.com/CCalculator1.asp

If you use the above calculator the mare is buckskin who is a carrier of red factor as her Dad is palomino and is unknown Agouti as you don't know if she carries the gene for black.

Stallion 1 is a black who is a red carrier and stallion 2 is a bay who is a red carrier and unknown Agouti.