Angle load floats *advice please*

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by ExBritKid, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ExBritKid

ExBritKid Active Member

We are recently thinking about up grading our double float to a 3 horse angle load :D

I was just wondering out of the floats we are currently eyeing, what have you heard about imperials guardors tuzas?
    Do you have any recomendations :) and what do you guys have? :)*

Cheerss!

2. Dashbabe

Dashbabe Well-known Member

Ive heard mainly good things about imperials, where thinking about getting one :) (but just the 2 horse extended)

Ive seen a 3 horse angle load Imperial, lots of room for tack ect!

3. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

Saw Im pretty sure the guardors at interschools and they where very low to the ground We thought they prob wouldnt make it up our drive way and its not that bad ....Imperials I have heard mixed reports about but more good then bad.Tuzas Our mate has one it seems good,sturdy they are fairly plain though or his is... just 3 angle with a swing out tack box nothing really fancy.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  4. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

Love our imperial tripple angle. :) :)*

5. mmm im slept in talisyns and daynas flimmo :D and its well cool :)

yer the guardors also worried we as they are really close to the ground :p ..

6. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

if you have a big horse - wont fit an imperial (remember you may not have one now but you might get one in the future and you dont really want to be buying a new float) have heard mixed reports about the guardors... mostly not good. tuzas - have a friend who had one of the straight loads... was sturdy and did well from what i know... is there a reason for going the 3horse?? would it be better to buy a 2 horse straight load and go aussie made? slightly more expensive but proven?

7. shall pm you buggalugs :)

8. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I wouldn't touch the Guardors with a barge pole!!!

They look pretty good......from a distance.

They are shocking quality!!! Would LOVE to see one in 5 years time! probably have all the panels fallen off etc.

I would use an Imperial quite happily. They seem far better quality than the Guardor that's for sure!

Hopefully I'll get an Imperial extended next year!

9. yep... i didnt like the look of guardors at all.. from a distance.. nice.. but no..

i like the imperials too.. and a 3 horse is needed as 3 horses will be competing :) ..
    tallest horse is about 15.1-15.2 :)

10. Evered

Evered Well-known Member

Rowville :)* I have a 2 horse angle, love it, always looks new, no problems with it and it is used a lot.

11. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Forgot to add, Buggaluggs is right regarding the size thing.

I had a standard double because I had standard sized (LOL) horses. Now I have a big horse (or a plus size model LMAO *#)) I had to sell that float and have to save up to get an extended.

If you are going to be spending a fair bit of money on a brand new float anyway, better off making sure it fits big horses too! You'll regret it big time if you ever get a big horse, I never thought I would but Ted died and my new horse was bigger than expected! If I spent that much money on a float, it would be because I am full intending on having it for a long time!

Hope that makes some sense!

12. kp

kp Well-known Member

I've had an olympic angle for about 8yrs. Had very few problems with it, and its had a lot of use. Know a lot of people with Rowvilles. Some of them have had a problem with the tail gates falling off not long after purchase.

13. eclipsed

eclipsed New Member

Hi

I have an imperial 3 horse float and i put my 16.3hh tb in there and he fits fine. if you are worried about you horses fitting just give the guy at imperial a call and he would most likely let you see if your horse fits or ask some one you know that has one to give it a go.

I love my float it tows great and my horses travel in it really well. better than in my old straight load.
    i traveled 2000kms with my 16hh horse. In the straight load and he lost weight and was tucked up. On the way back in the angle he was fine you wouldnt have thought he had just traveled such a long distance. he was so much more relaxed and seamed much happier.

cheers
    Eclipsed

14. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

One thing to pay attention to whichever float is chosen is weights.
    especially once you get to the 3 horse floats, consider several things(these should all be considered even with a single or double float too)

a) What your vehicle can legally and safely tow
    b) What your intended float weighs empty
    c) What is the max weight your float is allowed to be
    d) How much your horses weigh.
    e) How much gear/feed you are going to carry in your float.

If b + d + e is greater than c look for a different float/consider storing gear in your vehicle
    If b + d is greater than c look for a different float.

if either of the above is greater than what you can legally and safely tow, you may need a different vehicle.

15. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I have to agree with Buggalugs and B&T in the size issue.
    Personally I wouldn't travel a horse over about 15.2 - 15.3 max in and angle load float. But it's not so much about the height
    of the horse that's the issue, it's more the horse's overall length.
    Of course different floats may have different measurements (by that mean the degree of angle may vary) but for a lot of larges horses, they'll end up having to travel with their necks too squished up and unable to lower their head and drain their lympathic systems and IMO that's not ideal especially on a longer journey.
    You couldn't pay me to own a Guardor float, but whatever brand you choose, do what has been suggested and find someone who will
    let you load your horses onto theirs and make sure it suits. :)

16. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

hahaha yeh i heard about a stallion doing that lol... every float has problems - make sure the seller understands it will be coming back if you have any issues lol :)

wow eclipsed your 16.3hh must be compact! i wouldnt even put my 15.3hh compact in there! i will be purchasing a 3horse angle in the near future to accomodate my big horsey he will have to have 2 bays to himself unless we are going around the corner or in an emergency i have to move my 3 off a property (fire etc). even this will be custom built. have tried him in every *extended* angle load float out there and there is no way i would make him endure that for long trips or on a regular basis. at least in my standard double he can get his head down!

17. eclipsed

eclipsed New Member

i have to admit i was a bit worried about how he was going to fit but he fits fine and he can put his head down and all, so im happy :)
    its my 16hh boy that need the more room (he has a long body) so i put him in the back bay as i find it gives him that little bit more room or if im traveling with just him i remove the head devider now to give him a bit more for his head .

18. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

The three horse imperials are quite roomy. I just took a big standy to the vet and back in one and he fitted just fine! Quite light too, travel very very well behind your car.

Nicky and Trevor from jesse Creek that sell them are great people, they will let you try your horse in one first if your worried it wont fit.

19. Secret85

Secret85 Well-known Member

I know who I WOULDN'T reccommend, but won't post any more than that - Don't want to be seen as slandering. I'm very furious at the moment, and writing a letter of complaint to the builder and then Consumer Affairs.
    If you want to know more, you will have to PM me.
    ETA: It was an Australian company that I went through....

I believe the company I went through USED to be really good, but the float I got is not. :(

Speaking of Angle load floats, has anyone got any advise on Pegasus or Rowville? (I think I spent about this much money (not being sure exactly how much these two cost, I can only think..) and am trying to get my money back to go elsewhere)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  20. I have a Discovery 3 horse angle which I love, esp the swing out tack box. Unfortunately my massive 17'3h warmblood now takes up two of the three bays but he is a freak size horse. Normal sized horses will fit in triple just fine.

I would personally ONLY get an Australian made float - some of those imported ones fall to pieces fairly quickly.

The Rowvilles, Tender Deluxe, Discovery and Pegasus all good quality floats. Don't skimp on quality for the sake of price! An extra $1k or $2k is nothing when your float is going to stay in one piece!