Andalusians

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by MAC1992, Nov 1, 2013.

1. MAC1992

MAC1992 New Member

Just wanting to know what people's opinions on Andalusians are?

Hoping to get an insight from people who have experience with the breed. I've been researching and have found a complete mixture of attitudes from love to hate. People saying they are beautiful minded and others saying they are hot and temperamental. What do you think they are suited to?

Thanks!

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Think it's like all breeds of horses....... depends upon the blood lines and handling. Judge the horse on its individual merits and not what the stereotypes of the breed and opinions of others is.

3. rachael_berry

rachael_berry New Member

We have andalusians ourselves and we love them. They have so much character and are very good in all disciplines. Ours love to jump and will do breed shows and pretty much anything you ask of them

4. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

I havent had a lot to do with them, but the few Ive seen, aint for the weekend warriors! :p

Very smart, very clever. :cool:

5. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I have had two, both not very bright but extremely hard workers and loved everything they did, also very friendly and great temperaments.

6. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I have a first cross and he's the most genuine, honest bloke :) They're hardy, sturdy and I've not actually heard of any "bad" ones in WA (but don't know any in the hands of amateurs either, TBH). Great size, great bone, willing nature....tick, tick, tick :D

7. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

You know, Ive always pondered what an Andalusian/Quarter Horse cross would be like (an Azteca). They are pretty popular over in Mexico, and often used as bullfighting horses, so they are cowy, agile and nimble, as well as having great natural collection (courtesy of the Andy)............remember that wonderful palomino bullfighting horse called Merlin? I believe he was an Azteca. Far out he is/was amazing.

8. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

KS, I'd be intersted to see what age they start them for bullfighting...and they're longevity at it :unsure: I wouldn't pick the young Andalusian as being one of the most "nimble" breeds. Would the maturing-rate put potential purchasers/riders off a bit (for cow disciplines)?

Off to read up on these aztecas

9. MAC1992

MAC1992 New Member

Thanks for the honesty. Keep it coming! Why about TB x Andy? What about nerves? How are they with being taken out and spooky things? I get that each horse will be different but I'm trying to get an over all idea. :)

10. MAC1992

MAC1992 New Member

I'd also really like to get a response to this: Andalusians vs Friesians...?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  11. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

This is based on my experience!

Andy x TB = Generally try their heart out for you. Sensitive and not bold, in their comfort zones they are incredible, will give you their all and do so safely. I have been offered good money for my mare based on her amazing temperament. Out of their comfort zone they can be nervy! I wouldn't bother trying to event my mare, she quite simply wouldn't get through a cross country course but then I know plenty who are eventing! Can be a bit bolshy and blarzay but remind them of their manners and they are fine. I have heard people refer to them as dumb, not sure I would say that about them tho, if anything they can be quite the opposite and I have seen them run rings around people who don't know any better. They are a breed that you do sometimes need to be a little firmer with than a flighty TB. At the end of the day, my little partbred mare is the best horse I have ever owned (next to Kit) and I wouldn't part with her for the world.

3/4 Friesian - I don't have much experience with the pures and my boy is a stallion so basing it a lot on him and other FWB's I have met. Love them to bits! I find them incredibly intelligent, he picks things up quickly and can read you like a book. They are willing and happy horses, bold and not typically spooky, air on the side of lazy but then not super lazy so if you teach them forward they are happy to give it.

Of course this is my experience and I have seen them also not fit my above description as like any breed, they aren't all identical :)

If you asked me today Friesian or Andalusian, I will say Friesian every time. Not because I don't adore my part Andy girl but just there is something so magical about a quality Friesian, they stand out everywhere.

12. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

I 100% agree.

My ultimate next Andy X however will be Andy X ASH ;)

I often refer to Andalusians as the "Border Collie equivalent" breed of the Equine world.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  13. MAC1992

MAC1992 New Member

Love that idea NLEC, I definitely think ASH are underrated. I have a cross myself and she is unstoppable. Just the easiest most trustworthy horse ever!

14. Why is there the temptation to cross? What's wrong with a purebred Andalusian';'

15. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

Good Question Coli! :)

I suppose I'll elaborate a bit more on that :p

The attributes that many of the Australian Andalusians have I don't find appealing in a horse physically, and I don't appreciate conformationally. I don't have the money to spend on importing one.

However, they have a number of characteristics that ARE very strong in the breed that I appreciate more so that other breeds.

The day someone shows me a proven line in Australia that is conformationally what I look for, I will tick the boxes I seek with a purebred.

I haven't found any other breed that ticks these boxes at all, in consistent SOE tendency - the Andalusian breed does, but just not in a purebred manner :)

The problems I find ;

• Heavy in the fore (not necessarily strong either....just heavy)
    • Set back shoulders from neck, so you greater balance tendency onto the fore. Your centre ofgravity had now moved forwards a dramatically.
    • Weak in the hind (front end not matching required power from the hind
    • Too short in the back, or a concave arch to the spine.
    • Upright in the hind
    • long necked
    • unable to engage due to upright hing/leg length to abdomen ratio.

Until I win lotto and import my own purebreds :p I will be preferring to cross them over another breed to diversify the genetics a bit more.

16. NLEC:)
    If pure bred Andies are so unattractive ( IYO), why use them at all?';'
    Or it relates to Aussie Andalusians only?:confused:
    I know if I don't like the taste or look of curry I won't use it in cooking jam:)
    My gripe is with people crossbreeding anything because they can:), when there are heaps of purebreds who would tick all the boxes:)
    At least purebreds come with papers, registrations and testing for genetic disorders known for a breed in question. :D

17. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

I don't cross "just because I can".... I cross because I want to :lol:

As I said in my post, my opinion relates to the types available in Australia. There are Andalusians, and there are Andalusians....

I didn't say they were all unattractive, or 'so unattractive', just may of the purebreds available are ill conformed for longevity and soundness. I like my horses to last, and I don't like promotion of less than ideal conformation. This is not a traditional working Andalusian trait, it is a recent more modern development, mainly brought on by a lack of diversity in breeding lines, and a preference for a type that has gone pear shaped...

I'd take many a purebred Andalusian from lines I have seen available off shore - but I ain't loaded :p

So I utilize the means I have to develop the horse I want, for the purpose I want.

Regarding papers and registrations, my TB x Andalusian Gelding is registered with the AHAA, and the Iberian Warmblood Society. And This will also be possible for any future crosses I may do.

You will find that the testing for membership into the Iberian Warmblood society comes with stringent requirements for testing against possible genetic disorders common in possible breed crosses. To this date the suspected genetic disorders that the Purebred Andalusian may or may not have (not as of yet targeted to a cause but only prevalent in purebreds) are not able to be identified via testing - nor do they seem to be prevalent in partbreds.

Again, listing another reason why I prefer a partbred Andalusian.

And aside from reasons.....I just like Partbred Andalusians, when crossed well :p

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  18. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

oh :p and I forgot to say.......

But what if I like a little bit of curry, and what I have is too strong? Well then I'd put a bit of coconut creme into it ;)

Not everything is black and white. The concept of singular breed segmentation is purely a human construct.

19. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

In my experience with owning (and knowing others that own) an Andy x, I'd agree with what's been said above. I've found them very clever and very willing but also very sensitive. They tend to think too much and anticipate which leads to worry if they're not 100% confident in their rider/hander. I've learnt so much from my girl but in hindsight I just wish I knew as much all those years ago when I took her on, as I do now - I do thank her for teaching me so much though. As Kiraspark said, they're definitely not a horse for the weekend warrior. ;)
    While it is a little unfair to generalize and each horse needs to be judged individually, of the one's I've known, seen, watched at out our club etc, I'd have to say the majority are not for the inexperienced.

20. jc163041

jc163041 New Member

I have two andalusians, A PRE and a second cross

I have to say IMHO NLEC if that by your comments i feel you have not had a good look at the PRE horses avaliable in Australia. The term Australian Andalusian refers to a 3rd cross Andalusian. There are many top quality PRE stallions and horses in Australia. There has also been many imported recently and many people bringing in outside semen.

My experience with Andalusians is that they are exceedingly smart and loyal. Their intellegence makes them cheeky and means they are not really suited to novice or nervous riders. Their confirmation generally (the good ones) leads them strength in dressage as they find collection easy. It is common to see PRE youngsters practicing high level movements in the paddock just because they can. They do not have a tendency to come on the forehand when ridden/ trained properly. They find it very easy to transfer their weight to their hindquarters and a novice rider often makes the mistake of fidling with their head which gives the illusion that they are on the forehand. I have ridden some well trained PRE stallions and they are so light and soft.