And the plot thickens (Cody)

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Rayes, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Forgot these.

7: You must make so much sense that blind Freddie can see it.
    8: You must expect that when blind Freddie has seen it they turn into a dying duck in a thunder storm and threaten never to post again.

9: You must ensure that your sense gives opportunity for mock horror, so the wounded ducks can demand thread closure.

HEeheheheheheheh

2. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Bindi, I really dont think that others can even expect to share the throne room let alone be a contender for the crown.

The only other that come close is Smash lol.

However I do like the idea of having a Cougar for a Mascot, its close enough to being a Lion lol...So we can make Beagle our Cougar Mascot and Trojane the Cougar handler.

And every Justjam can be Visceroy lol

3. EVP

EVP Gold Member

OK..........we can create our own Evil Court!!

With REO's, REOIW, we can have cougars and beagles, we can have villiage idiots, jesters, and we can all eat trifle!!

I'm liking this!.....ahahahahahahha

Our very own Kingdom of Evil Ones and entourage!

Yep I forgot Smash and am happy to let the lion out of the cage for special occasions!

ahahaha:)*

4. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Oi! I'm just sitting quietly in the Naughty Corner stuffing my face with mascarpone cream! I am merely a plebe in the shadow of the Greatness of the Evil Court! :D

Hi Beutey :)

Can't imagine why such a thread would be closed? There certainly hasn't been any personal name-calling or nastiness or vindictive intent - just witty (or witless?? lol) banter which has been spattered through a thread full of good advice and intentions :)

This (and other related threads) have contained immense amounts of fabulous advice, sensible questions, respectful interaction, genuine concern/care - and from people who could be considered to have a wealth of skill/knowledge etc.

Yes, there has (and will probably continue to be) a divergence into 'humorous banter' - which, IMO has been jolly funny at times - and has not (IMO) detracted from the intent of the respondents - that is, to offer genuine support/advice – and above all else, hopefully ensure that the OP acts in a manner which maintains her safety and the horse’s welfare...

Just my take on it... I can't, and won't, speak for anyone else (would be rude to talk with my mouth full, anyway :D) however, certainly no intent to offend on my part (just genuine confusion, at times rofl :D )

:))

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  5. Rayes

Rayes New Member

And just to throw another spanner in the works...instructor thinks horse is girthy...so we have a quick lunge before riding, get the humps out and all is good.

Rayes

6. Malakand

Malakand Active Member

REO I am not averse to a little queue-jumping if it's me and I'm smiling down on Tro. But I'm pretty busy, may have to send delegate.
    Love trifle though....

7. mochaminx

mochaminx Well-known Member

You girls are hilarious.

Now now Mary, you must NOT use your gadgets for queue jumping, you must EARN your right of place in the Evil Court like everyone else has had to do. Why you havnt even been "threatened" to be thown in the sin bin yet! Please take a ticket and wait in line :D :D
    [​IMG]

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Oh Mocha that is soooooo funny look at them silly horseys!!!

I think our Shar has taken to her chambers for some R&R. I am also going to do a dreadful thing, sin of all sins.......and take a nanna nap!!!

I was up early and didn't go to bed until very late and even after an expresso out and another coffee at home I cannot keep my eyes focused!!

Showing my age............damn.

Has anyone noticed that its easier to fall asleep for a nanna nap than it is to fall asleep at night? Or am I imagining that?

Big window open for lovely breeze and a nice bed with clean sheets....yet been busy today.

9. Malakand

Malakand Active Member

OH MOCCACHOCS that is hilarious!!!!

All right I'll take my ticket and wait in line.

You are right EVP I can pass out in the afternoon for an hour and it's so easy. But I am awake till sometimes 3 in the morning just prowling and feeling wretched. But YAY getting my tamazepan script faxed to me today, saves waiting in a queue for an appointment HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

10. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Rayes, girthy-ness can be due to a number of factors (including back related). I imagine others know more about it and may be able to advise/suggest causes etc.

Mochaminx! Much as I luuurrrvvee your beautiful, beautiful horses... Haven't the issues surrounding the negatives of 'humanising' our gee-ups been sense-ibly discussed?? :}

Looks suspiciously like they are lined up on your verandah waiting for a helping of Trojane's mascarpone cream! Talk about 'line jumping!' *sheesh!*

Nanna's nap sounds good (and I can actually lay clam to that ‘cos I am a nanna! :D

11. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Im working at my real job, trying to take over the Universe, the world is not enough lol.

12. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Rayes, is he girthy or cold backed? Two totally different things. What does he do when you do the girth up?

And yeah, i understand why your replies became short, but from what i read, there was never really enough info to start with. Try to provide as much info as possible, otherwise everyone will get confused.

13. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Believe me - I have put everything that has occurred with this horse onto the forum...but considering the saga has been going for about 3 months now with various professionals/experts involved I can understand how it can be difficult to read and understand.

He doesn't do much when I girth him up...sometimes grunts a little and other times looks a little less than impressed. Nothing major. Once went to bite but stopped himself.

14. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Haha Sharaway -Cougar handler!!!??? methinks Beagle is untameable (recalls wedding shots). Need danger-$$$$$$. :D

EVP: Re Rules of the REO. No's 7,8&9... definitely!!! Please continue, I foresee Stockyard for Dummies hits bestseller shelves. (enjoy nananapping):)

justjam - you sure are busy in that Naughty Corner!!! Hope knickers untwisted before englutting mascapone & cointreau. Visceroy?!!! hehehe :)

mochaminx - I bet those hossies are waiting to be let in and eat their MC on set places at your dinner table!!!:)

Malakand aka The Persuader - who needs sleep? SY is open all hours!:)

HiYa Smash if you are there!!!:)

Hi Rayes :) ...for a little sensibility...I wouldn't stress out too much over girthiness, except to review your girthing-up habits and maybe change to the kindest girth possible (sometimes a sheepskin sleeve helps).
    Girthy horses rarely show signs of discomfort or unsoundness AFTER the girth has been done up.
    Usually the trouble goes back to someone ripping up the girth too tight, too soon.
    Once girthy, a horse never seems to totally overcome the reflex of resentment of the pain - for example, they start to nip or look angry even when a hand reaches out but has not yet touched the girth.
    As Cornflower says - it is not the same as coldbacked, and if grunting (the horse, not you) when you girth up make sure you do it very gradually.
    When I first saddle up the girth is just a loose loop - then take up slack over increments.

15. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Yeah, i know it's been a saga.
    The reason i asked if he's girthy or cold backed is because the reason i think your instructor got it mixed up.
    Girthy is when a horse is uncomfortable while the girth is being done up. It really isn't associated with bucking when you first get on. That is a sign of a horse being cold backed. Meaning, they do much better with a warm up being walked (you leading) or light lunge (in large circles) before you get on. Mostly seen in horses with muscle issues.

From what you've written, i think he's both. But i also think both things are happening because he's sore, and his muscles need to repair.
    Now that you have the hip under control, i cannot recommend highly enough getting regular massage or bowen treatments for this horse.
    Chiro is fine, but that is joint adjustments. You need to work on the muscle as well, otherwise they are never going to recover, and he'll always be sore, even if you fix the joint issues. This is because muscles that have been stretched the wrong way (joints being out) need to be freed up and relaxed, otherwise they are going to pull the joint back out. And even if they can't, they will be very sore and tight.
    Agree with Trojan said about girthing up also.

16. EVP

EVP Gold Member

:)*Agreed. Everything you have ever posted has sounded like a horse who has pain issues of some degree. The fact that he had periods of lameness, dropping hip, irritability, & now a girthy-ness ect ect is even more evidence of that.

Personally, its hard enough treating a horse who has pain from something from a known origin (fall ect) without treating something that you have no idea of how it happened, how long ago, and the extent of it. On top of that you have the compounding problem of his lack of education.

To seal the deal you also have conflicting professional opinions on whether there is something wrong with him at all!

You mentioned a lack of time (young child?)....& a lack of funds. For someone who purchased a horse as a way to gain some "me" time (and yes they are brilliant therapy), I question the practicality of continueing with such a horse.

The simple honest truth is you owe this horse nothing. You on the other hand were owed full disclosure on purchase and a fair deal. You got neither.
    It happens repeatedly that bad things happen to good people in the horse purchase arena. This is another prime example.

As warm hearted people we take on other peoples shit deals and we are the ones who spend the money, cry the tears and end up feeling all the responsibility. I've been there and so have many on here.

When handed the crap-pack how many of us try to solve the problem, fix the problem, educate the problem, restore the problem, rehabilitate the problem, and how many times does all that work pay off to the point where it turns around economically and emotionally? Not very often at all.

With limited resources of time and money this result is even harder to achieve.

Rayes you had a dream to buy a good horse. The only thing that has happened is that the horse you bought isn't the dream. The dream is still intact. I fear all the issues and problems with this horse are going to make it even harder for you to get that dream by draining your finances and emotions.

You haven't bought yourself a dream you have been saddled with a problem.
    And its probably one that you will find difficult to sell on.

Take this as you will but get rid of the horse. Camden sales run monthly I think. Put it through an auction where you have little vendor responsibility....and move forward by planning another purchase of a horse that will reward you with an uncomplicated life (as much as horses can).

I think you deserve it. :)*

17. Rayes

Rayes New Member

EVP - I was actually at the sales yesterday to check it out (because yes, that same thought has crossed my mind). But I just don't think I could do it.
    There were so many nice horses and I dread to think where some of them ended up...I know I am a bleeding heart, but I just can't do it. I even saw two horses I know go into the auction and it nearly broke my heart...they were such nice horses. And yes, I did have the thought of...there are so many nice horses here (going cheap!), so why do I bother with this drama of a horse?

He is technically for sale at the moment (not that I'm pushing things too hard), but as you said it will be difficult to find him a new home and in the meantime I am learning with him and doing my best. At the moment he is my responsibility and I am somewhat anal about meeting my responsibilities.

Regards,
    Rayes

18. kathera

kathera Active Member

as for your first in queue, whenever i see a comment EVP, I always pick up this thread as should be entertaining! no offence meant and i am sure none taken.

Rayes - i posted a recent thread on girthyness and Jess pointed out it is likely nothing to do with the girth / contact points (my horse has done it for a long time), but more just an association and it could relate to soreness anywhere when being ridden. So it may be just the increased work has caused some pain, as when we start any exercise and use some underworked muscles, and Cody associates it with the saddle and girth going up. Made sense to me with my horse anyway..

I admire your persistance anyway and it sounds like things are getting better bit by bit.

Maybe something philsophical like ' we have to fight the hardest for the battles that are most worth it"

19. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

No offence kathera but I disagree - and I may eventually visit your girthy thread and disagree there too.*#)
    If girthy horses are telling you they are sore from riding, and want to let you know it, why are they so specific?
    They could bite when a bridle is held near, or a saddle lifted, and then also show signs of severe discomfort during riding.
    But most girthy horses focus specifically on the instant when a hand moves towards the girth.
    They can appear relaxed and unbothered once the hand leaves the girth region, even though the girth may now be tight! And although riding is about to begin, they protest no more!
    I think horses are pointing precisely to a pain or unpleasant sensation when the girth is in the process of tightening - and this appears to be momentary.
    I can't see the history of every girthy horse - but those I've known have had a rider with a gorilla grip who "ripped" up its girth.

20. smash

smash Well-known Member

Morning tojane old buddy,
    A girthy horse, cold back horse or whatever, IS TRYING to tell you something.
    they originally start off by facial and body movement when you start girthing them, and humans normally ignore this, THEN they have to resort to a more NOTICABLE actions, like nipping and such (which they normally will get a slap for by the way)
    Now what they are saying is sore, is anyone’s guess.
    Muscles warm up and bones don’t.

rayes has got herself a horse that has a problem, she has never dealt with, and is doing her best to try and sort through this and find a solution, not an easy task for ANY HORSE OWNER, and i take my hat off to her for following through her responsibilities. GOOD ON YOU RAYES.

Now about "following the advice of reputable vets".
    I just paid a fortune, at a very big vet establishment, to be told my horse was not sore enough to be diagnosed !!!!!!!!!!!
    I was like, you have to be kidding arnt you ?????????? the horse could not lift either hind leg up, without collapsing to the ground, the horse COULD NOT trot or canter, without looking like some distorted warped looking animal from jamunji, and yet they could not even find where to start looking for, as their was no swelling. No matter how much I said look at the hip or stifle, no matter how I pointed out that he was very tender in those areas, it was like I was talking to god damn aliens, he still was not “lame” enough for them to look further.

So I fully understand the frustration that one can encounter with supposed knowledgeable paid experts.
    cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.