And the plot thickens (Cody)

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Rayes, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Hello All,

Now I know I am going to incite some muttering under breaths and some shaking of heads with this thread...but think of it this way...I am learning!

I decided to ride Cody yesterday and he tried to buck...twice. And I prevented him from doing so...twice. AND HE NEVER TRIED IT AGAIN!

So, perhaps I can say that his bucking is due to him being a pig and not due to anything physical?

However, I am going to get the chiro out again to have a look at his hip (but no, the trainer on Friday did not think he was in any pain).

Now, fellow stockies...feel free to grumble, groan and shout obscenities (but please leave it in the privacy of your own home). *#)

With humble regards,
    Rayes

2. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I don't understand why you think anyone would grumble at your comments?:confused:

3. Rayes

Rayes New Member

I don't know...I feel a bit sheepish after the whole saga/drama...people may have had enough of me and Cody??? *#)

4. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Hahaha @#**** !!!!!!!!!

5. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Don't worry about what others think:))

6. Tblover

Tblover New Member

WOW thats fantastic **) good job

7. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Yes - at last. A little bit of success!

8. Bear_Luva

Bear_Luva Active Member

Congrats Rayes :)

9. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

Well done....I have been waiting for you to take charge and get results!!

10. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

what sort of riding did u do with him? schooling, what pace is he at to buck? thats great he stopped after u got up him a little...
    have u actually just gone out on a bush ride ( with your mum or someone for safety! ) and seen how he behaves out in bush? u said that is what u are after, as long as he doesnt spend the whole bush ride shying and carrying on like a pork chop mayb he will suit you.... if you can only ride one a week... mayb get a friend or someone who doesnt have a horse to share with you (someone knowledgable of course ) but then he gets worked couple times a week and you can just enjoy him.... as long as you have respect and manners and a brain he doesnt have to have a whole lot of education to be a bush horse... ( thats my theory anyway... anyone else agree??)

11. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

*grumble*, *groan*, shakes head* :p

Will be interesting to hear what the chiro says.

Never know, you might end up keeping him after all...

I still think he needs a few good massages after the chiro.

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Well I think you have probably just taken the biggest step with this horse Rayes Good On you!!!

13. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Hey There,

He attempts bucking at the walk (making it easier for me to control). And did I mention he doesn't do it for anyone else???

No, I haven't taken him out for a trail ride yet...want to see if we can fix his dropping hindquarter first.

I would like to have him with some knowledge of circle work (just to make him more supple and flexible)...but am thinking of moving him up to an equestrian centre where I can have a weekly lesson and I will attempt to get up one afternoon after work to ride him.

Yesterday was step one of many steps, I think.

14. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

hmm, attempting buck at walk is odd to me... ( as previously said my boy bucks at a canter pretty much any time i ask for it... but will stop after i have said "OI!" )
    fingers x'd for you. hope it works out!
    **)

15. EVP

EVP Gold Member

WOW that is amazing, if you are happy about how its going that is all that matters.

If you decide to keep him then that is also your decision. Glad the trainer revised his original recommendation of moving him on.
    You'll get lots of extra help at an equestrain centre and riding skills almost invariably improve heaps when being able to ride with companions.

Please keep us all posted on your progress!! :)*

16. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

That's brilliant! **) Good on you! Sometimes all it takes is a tiny bit of confidence!

17. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Bucking or pigrooting?

My mare will pigroot given half a chance to object to being told what to do.

Soon gives it up as a bad idea.

Bucking, yep she will do that to if I put a rider on her that thinks its a joke and lets her go for it.

But I know the reasons why when and how my mare is going to do it and I dont kid myself that she will never do it again.

I ride to expect it, plan to avoid it, train to prevent it.

18. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Definitely bucking - My OH has witnessed it and my old boy used to pigroot all the time so I know the difference.

19. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Pearls.........black ones.
    :)*

20. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Rayes do you and the horse know what a One Rein Stop is, and how to correctly apply it? What score would you give Cody's lateral mouth?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.