And he's at it again...

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Rayes, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smash

smash Well-known Member

EVP, out of respect to rayes thread, please take this rubish to PM or email.
    here is my email addy
    performancepintos@gmail.com

cheers

2. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Thank you Smash!

I posted to get some ideas/suggestions/thoughts...not to start WW3!

Cheers,
    Rayes

PS Today's riding lesson has been postponed til tomorrow - guess I will have a new perspective on the situation then.

3. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Smash why would I want to help hold your halo up?
    I'll only stoop for chocolate......lolololol
    I already have your email address remember when I helped you out that few times?
    Or have you forgotten that too?

4. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Rayes some people like to throw hand grenades to make themself look far more effective than they really are.......
    You'll might not get your "thoughts/ideas/suggestions" but Smash the avenging angel will make sure you get plenty of sympathy......ahahahahha

Honestly, you are "doing your best" with your horse.......I applaud your stamina.......us "oldies" prefer to take the easy road with horses.....cause we enjoy them too much to accept it any other way......I won't drive my OH's car cause its manual.......I can drive a manual but sure prefer the automatic!
    My time is precious and I will never "buy trouble"........
    I've always been taught that "anything you learn with one horse throw the lesson sheet away.....because the next horse will need a whole new manual".

The best of luck in how it all turns out.....:)*:)*:)*

5. lex

lex Well-known Member

Sooooo getting this thread back on track and NOT making it about yourselves other then the OP question - how are things going Rayes, has anything worked for you?

6. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

exactly, wheres the fun in just spending your whole entire riding life on a push button horse that someone else has done the work for you?
    Sounds like you have found yourself a good instructor, just keep doing what your doing, the reward is so much sweeter when you have worked hard for it. :))

7. smash

smash Well-known Member

for someone that is suppose to be intelligent
    you sure are having trouble understanding to take this rubbish elsewhere.
    Oh and sorry EVP, blackmail dont work on me,
    "Seems I not quiet the nod person you have accused me of".
    You seem determined to get this thread locked, just like all of rayes other threads, and that is very sad.

EVP, there are many people that have been in the same situation or will be, just as rayes is. She is just SHARING her ups and downs with us, just as we have asked her too. This is not about some hero worship rubbish, it is about rayes learning her limitations, finding her strengths and building a better understanding of a situation that she has never come across before. This will help her in the future with other horses she may get. This horse may not be the horse for her, but she sure is learning a lot along the way.
    SHE IS TRYING HER BEST
    cheers

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Smasho you need to write for one of those soapy's I never knew you were so dramatic!!!..........honestly - Blackmail????

Yep I only go lower for chocolate.......ahahahahahahahah *#)

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Actually thats one of Ray Hunts favourite sayings......"Horsemanship is a journey not a destination".........and I think he's totally spot on.....
    Ray made it clear to me that if the "journey" got too rocky that it was very much OK to sit it out.....lolol That constantly battling with a horse is the last thing anyone signs up for.......we all love a good journey but we also like getting down to the tunnel end and turning the light on.......

I don't call "fighting" with horses a "journey"..........I call that torture.....
    Some spend their whole life trying to undo the mistakes of others and totally miss the point of reaching real synergy......
    The better the teacher the better the horse...........

10. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

is she fighting? sorry I missed that post

ETA - and yup I do agree that if someone thinks its just too much for them, then there is certainly no shame in accepting your limits. I just havent read the post where the OP wrote that.

11. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I call anyone who has to sit out bucks, rears, and unpredicable behaviour as "fighting" with horses.......its not meant to be like that......lolol

I fail to see how anyone can be learning something from scenes like this.....where the harder they try the harder the horse tries to get them off..?

Some horses can't be taught what the owner needs them to know......some owners can't teach horses what they need them to know.....

Thats why people like Saltriver and others have a very valued place in the horse world........because they KNOW what they are doing and how to correctly evaluate and educate a range of horses.......because they have seen hundreds of individual behaviours and they have used the techniques that make a difference........

People don't need to place themselves in dangerous situations.....I call paying for these services as money well spent.....all the instructors in the world cannot teach a novice rider with confidence issues how to solve the problems of very experienced long time "naughty" horse.......

12. smash

smash Well-known Member

was that a threat in my PM box EVP
    cheers

13. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

and hasnt she found an instructor thats helping her?

hasnt most of these wonderful horse trainers, that most of us would be at a loss without, had instruction from mentors?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  14. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

EVP .....how do you think trainers learn how to deal with horses that do unpredictable things.

How do people learn to deal with bucks, rears, stop, spins, napiness etc.

I will tell you......from experience. We all were beginners at one time. We have all learnt to read the signs and find ways to work through it because we have ALL been bucked off at some time in our lives.

If everyone gave up when they had a difficult horse there would lots of really good horses going for pet food and no capacity within the horse comunity to deal with horses and work them through their issues.

Also you would be very surprised at how quickly a good instructor CAN give back confidence to a novice rider on a problem horse......because they TEACH the rider to look for the signs and deal with it before the horse explodes. Once the rider has these skills, which come with practise the problem usually goes away..... BECAUSE horse and rider have reached an understanding. :)

There is still a place for trainers because not everyone wants to go through the process, but others do and become better riders and educators because of it,.

Just because YOU dont ride any longer and YOU would not consider following the same pathway does not mean that someone else DOES want to go down that route.

If we were all the same life would be boring. The OP will become a far better horse person as she progresses along her journey, as is her choice and sometimes she will come onto SY for a bit of moral support when the going gets tough and then she will pull up her socks and keep on going. The feeling of accomplishment one gets from working through issues makes it all worth while. :)

15. EVP

EVP Gold Member

No.
    It read.

To clarify for you (on the forum since you'd prefer)....

Don't address me or ask me to correspond with you.

16. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

EVP why you're so involved in this whole situation? I'm not trying to be funny or nasty, just trying to understand why you want so badly for her to get rid of the horse.
    I get it that you are concerned for her safety, but i feel there's something more here, because you are like a dog with a bone.

All horses are dangerous. None of them can ever be trusted 100% all the time.

Yes, having one with issues makes things harder and more dangerous. But the world isn't perfect. There are a lot more horses with problems than i think you want to admit. And a lot more people dealing with them than you want to admit. No, it's not 'meant to be like that', but it is.
    If everyone got rid of every single horse that ever did anything 'unpredictable', or bolted, or reared, or bucked, of faught with, i doubt anyone would ever own a horse.

No one is telling Rayes that she should throw caution to the wind and just bugger everything, and be silly and take risks. This is why she has saught vets, chiros, trainers and massage people.
    This is why she is working with an instructor. I'm sure she is fully aware of her situation, children, husband, job, whatever, and i'm sure she is old enough and mature enough to make her own decisions, and take into account all the risks.

For myself, i have chosen to stick with my horse because i did not 'buy a problem'. I bought a perfectly normal horse. Something happened along the way and things changed. I cannot afford to have 2 horses, and i will not sell him, he means too much to me. He will stay with me for life. So I had 2 choices, never ride again, or try to work through things. I chose the latter because i love him, and i see a light at the end of the tunnel. Have seen it for a long time. Not because i like to have problems, and not because i like to put myself in danger.

I believe everyone has a right to be happy and do what makes them so. If that means jumping out of a perfectly good plane with a bedsheet strapped to your back, or deciding to work through problems with a horse, or dancing round the Mullberry bush at midnight, so be it :)

17. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Wow - this really is pathetic! EVP, we have all read your thoughts - very few seem to be agreeing, so perhaps take your "wisdom" to another thread where it might be appreciated (if they exist) ;)

18. EVP

EVP Gold Member

KC, as mentioned some people have the time and resources to do exactly as you say.
    I think the other threads mentioned something about lack of time and resources to go on a protracted "journey"......
    But whatever.......I guess I like to see more people enjoying the time they spend with their horses rather than the time they have to spend making a horse "suitable" for a journey.
    When a 'green' horse gets paired with a green or nervous rider the "journey" is not terribly enjoyable....esp when one has other committments......

Its a nice thought that everyone who ever ends up with a horse they have issues with, can work them out, and get the mount of their dreams......but thats not the case.....in a majority of cases. Yes they have "a journey" and yes it defines the stuff behind "horsemanship"......but I question what can be learned when someone is in a constant state of 'expectation'.......and thats what some horses invoke....a rider who constantly has to expected the unexpected. Granted some people LOVE this type of horse relationship....I merely stated that not every horse interaction has to be that way.

Even when I DID ride once I worked out that not every "journey" leads to horse or rider fulfillment....I soon changed my mind....and my horse experiences were better for it.....lololol

And that was my angle........no kicking, no nasty no nothing excpet some peoples love of all things "drama".....ahahahahahah;) But of course when someone adds a few dramatic proses things get ugly.....ahahahahahaha Thank you for your cordial reply BTW.

Cornflower I couldn't care less about Rayes horse or horses or what she does - anymore than you do.....its a forum and people can post in whatever thread they like......yes they do tend to sound a bit "round the mulberry bush" don't they?...........I guess thats "the journey" for you.....ahahahaha

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  19. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I don't post to gain agreeance.........I didn't expect to be "agreed" with.......I don't think thats the definition of "forum"......

Quick put the kettle on.......ahahahahahahah

20. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Just for the record, there was nothing sweeter than the day I took him out for a trail ride after a session of schooling...absolute bliss!

He can also be a pleasure to ride as he is super-responsive to my seat and leg cues and has a very soft mouth. He also tries very hard to please and I have taught him how to lunge (to voice commands) and is learning how to collect up on the bit.

Rayes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.