And he's at it again...

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Rayes, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Hi All,

My mister naughty (Cody) is back to his old tricks...trying his darndest to get me off! (At least I've worked out how to stay on!).

He's been great for a couple of months and today I took him out to a local Adult Riding Club...went berko and tried getting me off. We did lots of circles and activities to get his mind working (turning/flexing etc) and he stopped. But not quite the pleasurable day I had in mind!

Add that to the fact that my old boy fell down in the float on the way there, and I've had quite a stressful day!

Rayes

2. KINGSBONES

KINGSBONES Active Member

ohh thats no good, but GREAT that you stayed on and won the battle!!! WELL DONE. Don't worry these episodes will prob get less and less frequent until he works out it does'nt get him anywhere. Hope your other bloke is ok.:)

3. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

I'd probably say that's not quite as bad a result as you think. He fact that you stayed on AND kept riding AND did exercises to stimulate his mind and calm him down is excellent! The fact that you ended the ride with him listening to you, and i'm assuming, calm and working is great progress.

Maybe he was just worried or overfaced by the whole situation with other horses there and things going on, and he just reacted. Maybe next time, go earlier, let him settle, take him for a walk (lead him) around. If possible, walk him around the arena, do some basic groundwork before you actually get on.

Bugger that your other horse fell in the float, hope he's ok.

4. casperjesse

casperjesse Well-known Member

I agree that if you stayed on and worked thru it then it was a good thing. Perhaps he was overwhelmed and reacted to surrounds. Also you don't mention was he too in the float when your old boy went down.
    Hope your old boy is ok.
    Keep up the good work too you are doing well**)

5. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Yeah, he was in the float and I will give him props for the way he handled it (thought it was probably his fault as he has a tendency to stand with his legs far apart!).

Cody actually had to step over the old boys knees and legs to get off the float.

And much to their credit they both walked straight back on.

Still can't work out what happened as I've never, ever had a problem floating the old boy before and he's floated all his life! And damn the twine not breaking when he fell...it meant that he still had his head caught up over the chest bar.

One of the most scary experiences of my life and one I never want to repeat!

Thanks for all your words of confidence,
    Raylene

6. Rayes

Rayes New Member

And THANK GOD my old boy is fine. Vet couldn't find anything wrong with him and just gave him a dose of bute in case he got sore.

Cheers,
    Raylene

7. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

Well Rayes what a scary thing to have happen. So glad to hear the old fellow is OK. You did well to get there and still ride. I imagine the whole situation would have just added to Cody's stress levels (not to mention yours), I am sure after a few "low stress" outings he will settle down.

8. Rayes

Rayes New Member

One of the most scary things to have happened to me...thought the old boy might have broken a leg.

If that had happened, I would have chucked the whole horse game in I think.

9. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Glad your old boy is ok :)

Out of interest is this the first time you have taken Cody out since he had his spac attack when you first got him? Taken him out and you gotten on him immediately I mean, not taken him to trainers.

10. lex

lex Well-known Member

My old horse use to do this to me everytime we went out, to put it bluntly he was being a douche. It was like his personal aim to get me off, he'd only need to do it once then it was fine I'd get back on and we'd be fine.

I personally found the best way to settle him down (after learning that I couldnt just ride it out of him) was let him release some steam once we got to our destination (show grounds/dressage training etc) I would make enough time to get there early and just lunge him for about 10mins. He was fine after that :)*

11. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

horses going down is terrifying! I had a mare go down thanks to rubber that wasnt slippery until she peed... same thing - twine didnt break, just about choked her... now i dont tie when i float...

12. Rayes

Rayes New Member

It's the first time where I haven't been at a trainers/instructors...yes.

I actually did lunge him first and he was fine (small hump once or twice). As soon as I got on him I could feel his back humped up...but he seems to be a horse who feeds off the rider's confidence so I figured I'd just be confident and get on with it...he obviously didn't agree!

Rayes

13. Incognito

Incognito New Member

Sounds like this horse has you well trained, maybe a mini might be more your skill level?

14. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Excuse me??? What is this comment supposed to mean?

15. KINGSBONES

KINGSBONES Active Member

Pretty harsh and not un called for dont you think!!!

sheesh some people.
    I think if rayes didn't have the experience and knowledge to control this horse she would have scampered off before things got too bad? Obviously she knows what she is doing hence why she stayed on and schooled him through the problem. Which to me and everyone else (except you incognito), is exactly what you do and has demonstrated her knowledge and skills in handleing horses.

Seriously if you can't say anything nice dont say it at all.

16. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

& thus your skill level would be how high?
    bee-arch #(#(
    stick to your signature advice
    & allow persons on here with more humanitarianism within to respond postively to rayes' post.
    on ya rayes for persisting.

17. Mod 1

Mod 1 Moderator

Please get back on track...no need for nasty comments, mods watching!

18. Rayes

Rayes New Member

I totall agree - I believed the forums were the place to share experiences and ideas and hear the thoughts of other like-minded people.

Unfortunately it's stuff like this that gets threads shut down.

19. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

lmao so someone else has an opinion that you dont agree with and its on for young and old.

God forbid anyone has the balls to agree with incognito.

Rayes, you have been on this forum long enough now to know, if you put it out there, people will comment, the trick is to ignore the comments you dont like, not feed it with a response.

You know there is no shame in admitting a horse might be to much for you, in the mean time, good luck, Falling of bloody well hurts, I know I carry my own fair share of damage.

I now give horses that want to have an indipendant attitude a wide berth.

20. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Sharaway - Incognito did not give an opinion - they gave a thinly-veiled insult.

There is a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.