Air Under The Skin.....

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by jacko88, May 18, 2009.

1. BWise

BWise New Member

I just found your discussion regarding air under the skin. My horse has the exact same thing happening right now. He punctured his chest with the blunt end of a pitch fork and the drain the vet put in let air in but not out. The drain is out, but the puncture is still open (it has to drain).

My horse is so full of air, he has lost the definition in his face. How long of a recovery period did you experience with your horse?

I am worried, because my vet has never seen this before and can't give me many answers.

2. KKKiroo

KKKiroo Well-known Member

Wow I have never heard of such a thing.

I hope your horse has a speedy recovery.

3. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Krikey Bwise - I would be seeking other Vet advise if you could........Im not sure of your situaiton.

Thats sounds very serious......From chest to head is serious air contamination.

4. BWise

BWise New Member

Thanks, we have had a vet on it since the day it has happened. There isn't a lot you can do for all the air.

I am really sad today because his eyes are swollen shut and he sounds like it is starting to affect his breathing. We are just going to have to wait and see.

5. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Oh you poor thing :( How horrible for you :( I was worried about his breathing when you said about the head swelling.

Is their an explanation as to why the swelling is increasing? surely if their is an outlet for the air - then it shouldnt be getting in any more?

Amazaed and horrified for you at the same time :( - thinking of you :)

6. jacko88

jacko88 Well-known Member

Hi BWise. Just saw this reply to my old thread sorry.
    I guess it took 3 to 4 weeks for the air to go down completely.
    I think the most important thing I learnt was to confine my mare. Its the moving that causes the air to suck in so less movement = less air basically. Once the wound closed and stopped letting air in the rest of the air under her skin gradually went down.
    My mare was like your horse. The skin on her head was all pushed out from the meat along with the rest of her body except her legs. In some areas of the body I'd say you could push the skin in 40mm before hitting the meat. If you inserted a needle air would hiss out fairly fast. Like you, my local vet hadn't seen anything like this either. I ended up getting onto one vet who had though. Will PM you a name and number.
    Surprisingly once the air went away there didn't seem to be any skin damage. Her coat remained fairly normal etc.
    Hope this is of some help.

7. Lany

Lany New Member

subcutaneous emphysema

My 15 year old gelding injured himself quite badly a couple of weeks ago and has a 12 inch long axillary wound that is about 6 inches deep. The vet left it open because he said stitches would not hold in that area. I clean it well once day and the wound is looking pretty good with no infection, the cold weather being a plus for us at this time. He has developed subcutaneous emphysema and has had it about a week now. I just returned from the barn and he is still swelling, mostly the front part of his body but not his head. This is my first horse and have only had him 6 months. I am more worried about the swelling than the actual wound. He is on stall rest but before that I was walking him a little in the barn and feel so guilty that my walking him may have been what caused the emphysema. I am just looking for support and information from others who have experienced this.