Agistment costs

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by erilyn, Nov 27, 2010.

1. IndyR'n'R

IndyR'n'R Well-known Member

My agistee's pay me 20 per week, per horse, DIY, in Merredin. I help them out and they help me out when we go away. hold each others horses for the the farrier etc.
    At the moment there are no facilities, but when there are the price will go up.

When we are finished there will be a sand dressage arena, two round yards, one under lights, and paddocks will be individual paddocks with WIWO stables/yards, personal tack/feed room. Tie up rails, wash bay and crush. I would say by then my maximum DIY would be 70 per week. Also hope to offer holiday horse care.
    But you wouldn't put these facilities in for the purpose of agistment, I am putting these facilities in because I want them, otherwise, you would never make your money back.

2. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

I have a 20 h0rse barn plus 4 horse stable block and agist a few - check out the costs
    Per year
    Land tax and rates - $5300
    Power -$1200
    Water-$2600

Total per year = $9100
    Add Spraying and mowing etc
    Add fence repairs
    Total cost per year = approx $ 10500
    Guess overheads to be $200pw
    10 horses = $20 each
    Not counting phone calls etc etc

Feed 1 16hh t/b - Hay 4 bics per day = 1/2bale = $5.00
    Hard feed 2 k per day @ $1per k =$2
    Chaff $3
    Extras such as salts oil etc $1

Total cost per day= $11
    Total per week $77
    Add fixed overheads $20
    Total cost to me if nothing goes wrong =$108.00

Agistment charge of $140 pw = $32 pw per horse

Clean stables etc = 3hrs per day
    Collect organise or clean up = 1hr per day
    Mowing /fencing/trough cleaning and waters/ arena grading etc 1 hr per day
    Total time per day = 5 hrs

So 35 hrs per week
    10 horses - total profit before labour = $320 pw
    Now add time chasing money and answering questions from clients preparing invoices and the odd bit of running around such as when vets etc turn up and agistee is late = 5hrs per week

So I work for $8.00 per hour !! My kids earn 3x that !!!!!

Don't whinge to the agistment provider IT IS NOT OUR FAULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

I pay $120 pw and I have to supply my own feeds and make them up...

I get a sand yard and a paddock (which my horse is in 4 or 5 days a week).
    There is an arena.......

I have no choice in Agistment unlike many of you, because I own a mystical creature otherwise known as a Stallion lol

4. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Good on you Brew for spelling it out!!! Be grateful guys if we were in the UK you would be paying way more than you do now. A single 1 hour lesson at a riding school in the UK is 150 pound let alone what it cost to agist a horse at the school.

5. Prestige

Prestige Active Member

AMEN to that Mega Kool :))

I do believe we went over all of this in a previous thread......

6. Mega Kool

Mega Kool Well-known Member

Not badly put Brew, but my daughters are earning $60/hr
    And what about.......................

The Mortgage.
    The Insurance, public liability, indemnity, sickness & accident, building, contents, vehicle, etc.
    Depreciation on plant, equipment, buildings, fences, etc.
    The Advertising.
    Income tax.
    Phone accounts, website costs, stationary, bank fees.
    and a little bit of Super for when you retire???????????????????????

And then in my situation.....
    $120,000.00 wages
    $11,000.00 employee super
    $11,500.00 workers compensation
    $30,000.00 hay
    $32,000.00 oaten chaff
    $15,000.00 lucerne chaff
    $41,500.00 for things like pony cubes, coolmax, bran, etc.
    $ 9,000.00 electricity
    and the list goes on, and on, and on...................

BUT IT'S A GREAT LIFE !!!!!!!

7. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Maybe i should have put a smilie on the end of that powerball statement then, because i think you took it the wrong way.
    I'm not saying agistment people have all won lotto and are sitting around bathing in money.
    I meant that i'd love to be able to afford a property so i could have my horse in my own backyard and not have to agist. I was talking about myself and my own situation.

And yeah i know prices of everything are up because of petrol, food, power bills, water rates, taxes...thanks to our moron premier. I know people are just trying to survive and run a business and make a living. And i also know that a lot (if not most) agistment owners also have either full-time or part-time jobs or else they wouldn't be able to pay their bills. And i know it's not easy to run, and you have to put up with a lot of crap.
    And if it wasn't for agistment places, i simply wouldn't be able to have a horse. There are places which are great. I'm not saying there aren't. I've agisted at some that were.

My problem is with overpriced places who don't provide the care, or hike up prices 'just because'. I've seen it, and i've been at places like this, it does happen.

Brew, good on you for providing all that. Thanks!

8. Prestige

Prestige Active Member

I think the above comment in bold is what has gotten the backs up not the powerball comment.

We have only been open a year & yep our prices have risen a few times during the year. Not because we are 'boutique' and pick our prices out of thin air or because 'everyone else is charging that' Simply because that is what it costs to run this business & yes god forbid try to make a little bit of profit (believe me there is not a lot there) BUT prices have risen on a lot of other things that are key to running a agistment centre. In the last year interest rates have gone up several times & electricity also went up, just to name a few. And of course recently hay & feed costs have risen. Ours went up by 20%and we buy direct from the farm.

We are on 15 acres in Henley Brook & it costs $2000 PER WEEK and that is before we have even included feed costs, wages, electricity, water, fertilizer etc etc. That is what it costs regardless of if we have horses here or not. :))

9. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

MEGA COOL- i just looked at your webpage-what a magnificent place you have there!! it is stunning and so is your house! :)

can i ask kinda where in armadale? is it up the hill that is the start of albany highway to go south or another part of armadale??
    I take it you do overnight accomodation for person and horse any night of the week?? :))

10. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

We occaisionally do spelling adjistment - we are 2.5 hours from metro area's.......but I charge according to what I offer, and what I offer - MUST be undertaken, as they are the rules the horse staying here.

Yes - its spelling...but it certainly isnt DIY.....
    :)
    I check them daily and supervise, and I maintain their condition.

I state what I will provide, and anything extra is the owners responsibility. If they fail to provide what is needed - they get the boot.....

Im not interested in people dropping and leaving....which inadvertingly is what they have to do (as we are so far away).....so WE make them pay for US taking the responsibility for their animals health.

Personally - at $35 a week.....I dont think its that bad at all.

And yet.......their is still the attitude of - oh...your gonna charge me? but you have the land?

Quite funny really......Ironic :)

Particularily when it does not pay for my time....

The prices of adjistment - are at that price, as THAT is what the services, and the products therefore, are worth.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  11. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Hey MK -No thanks for adding the rest - Need to find noose now aAAHHHHHHHHHH !!

12. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

Oh and Mega Cool we LOVE you for it :)*:)*:)*

I NEVER thought I would agist.....but now Im NEVER leaving ;) :)*

13. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Yeah, i get what you mean.

I appologise, i didn't intend it to mean that, or come across like that.

How do i explain this...?

In the past, it was easy to find whatever you wanted. There was a good amount of everything.

Then there was all this stuff with the insurance, riding schools closing down, and i'm sure a lot of agistment places did too.

And maybe it's because of that that nowdays, there is less of the simple, lower-priced places, and there are more of the top-of-the-range places. Making it harder for people who just want some basic facilities and care, but can't come out every day to have DIY. Or just don't need all that for their horse, but still want them cared for.
    The in-between ground seems to have decreased. It's either DIY with no facilities, or FB with all the bells and whistles.
    It just seems that DIY automatically means you get not much, and FB automatically means top-of-the-range.
    And part or 3/4 board is hard to find at all.
    I understand that, especially for a larger centre, to have some of everything can get confusing, and extra work, and hassles with people not feeding their horses etc, so most opt to just do 1 type. Don't blame 'em.
    I just meant that there is less choice these days. And that there are a lot more top-of-the-range places, which are expensive, and less of the inbetween places, which still provide good care and some facilities, but don't have everything, hense are a bit cheaper.

I'm not having a go at agistment owners, or agistment centres, and i'm sorry that my comments seemed that way.

14. Mega Kool

Mega Kool Well-known Member

We understand Cornflower. No offence taken.:))

15. BellaSkip

BellaSkip Well-known Member

Both my boys are in paddock agistment, about 5 minutes from home. massive paddock that they share with two other horses, the owner checks at least once a day, there are two arenas that we can use, washbay,etc and i pay $40pw per horse.

16. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

it is still my dream to have my own place to keep my boys in the backyard :) hate having to agist but have found a great place now that i am happy with as are my boys especially when TLC and daily cuddles are free hehehehehe and am certainly happy to pay agistment

17. Prestige

Prestige Active Member

Yep Cornflower I see where you are coming from & totally agree :)*

18. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I'm with you cornflower- I agree the middle ground has dissapearred! Bloody insurance......it spoils everyone fun :(

19. pugjoey

pugjoey New Member

Any Vacancies :p