Agistment costs

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by erilyn, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

I think you have to look at the type of horses the people have who are paying a lot for agistment...
    You can be paying, say 30pw for a paddock which is great but most people cant get out twice a day and then there is the fact of no stables, arena etc.

If I had a pleasure hack I certainly wouldnt keep it as I do now- the needs are different hence the price you are willing to pay will change. If I rode out on the trails and that was it I would only need a paddock.

2. capnjack

capnjack Well-known Member

Back in Qld, I had DIY stable board, cost me $5.50 a week per stall, and $5 a week per horse kept in the 20 acre paddock (I had one in each). Paddock also doubled as XC training as it had a permanent set up of different levels. I had one horse in each as you could only use the XC course if you paid the paddock board ';' don't ask me why.

It was all run through the Racing Assoc. Had use of washdown bays, round yard, arena in centre of the race course (which also doubled as the Rodeo grounds), a shared feed/tack room (one per four stalls) with individual lockers (4 lockers in each room, big enough for one saddle, bridle, tall enough for a lung whip). There were four feed containers, which were basically a weld mesh box that were padlockable.

Had to supply our own padlocks (manager had to have a key in case of emergencies), water/feed containers.

The farrier had a standing appointment with the race trainers every 6 weeks, and would drop past a couple of days early to see if we needed him. He was even available to look after our horses (feeds/rugs/basics) if we were nice enough to supply him with a 6 pack :) He did it of his own accord, nothing to do with the race assoc.

Vet was across the road, on call 24 hours. Wasn't a bad place. Just had to make sure we didn't get in the way of one of the trainers. He was a total a** - didn't think that anyone else should be allowed to board there.

Certain stables were off limits to us, and when the show was on, some horses had to be moved to the paddock (no charge) unless they were entered in the show, also same with race days - some stalls were not available year round, and the occupants knew that when they chose their stalls. I got lucky, had a double loosebox at no extra charge since the centre divider had been demolished by the previous occupant (leading to their eviction) and was going to cost them too much to replace it, and it was one of the year round stalls.

3. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

OMG that is the most epic set up!!! LOL

4. capnjack

capnjack Well-known Member

Yeah, I was pretty lucky to have found it :D it wasn't advertised anywhere, you pretty much had to know someone to get a spot long term. There were over 100 stalls, half were full sized loose boxes. An ex-friend of mine (she did the dirty on me) got me into it, was just lucky that I ended up with the double stall :D

Irish (my horse at the time) absolutely loved it! Captain, my QH (the one kept in the paddock) didn't like being stabled - he would lean on the gate until it gave out, then calmly walk into the enclosed stables (owned and operated by the trainers!) to talk to all the flash thoroughbreds! We got into a bit of trouble over that, so Irish came into the stall, and Captain went into the paddock.

There were a few little issues, you couldn't be there after 7pm unless you organised it with the caretaker, who was damn near impossible to get on the phone! And you weren't allowed to go anywhere near the walker or the 'special' round yard. When Irish went down the only place we could use to keep him up and walking was the smaller round yard (which was the 'special' one) and oh boy... anyone would have thought that we declared war on the a**hole trainer personally!

But all in all, it was worth every argument. :D Was interesting when the rodeo was on - they tried to evict me from my stall for the day, but couldn't because one of my horses was being ridden in the rodeo lol

Thank god for country towns!

5. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

This isnt necessarily completely true, some people can pay $180pw+ to have their show horse stabled, rugged, fed etc.

But it is completely possible to still have a show horse that doesnt neccesarily need to be locked in a stable and is shown from the paddock-rugged/fed of course- on a DIY basis. I do this but from my own place.

Obviously a dressage or event horse's rider might prefer an enclosed arena with which to train the horse, but again, not entirely neccesary.

And yet having worked in a high class centre before I can also say that people even pay to have there 'ornament' stabled,rugged, fed, and dont even hardly visit-for months on end- let alone ride! Lucky horses huh!

So it really is a matter of PERSONAL preference rather than the 'type' of horse..

6. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

I get where you are coming from i was just making a point that most of the people paying 150pw+ have completely differrent horses to those paying 20pw. Hence the needs are different **)

DIY is a completely different matter as you pay less as you do it yourself and not because the facilities are limited.

Yes you can prep from a paddock but is a lot of work for a show horse owner (im not talking an occasional show but royal/hoty) and most would- if they have the choice- prep from a stable

7. Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan

Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan Well-known Member

i pay $60 per week for my pony, but the cost for horses is $80 per week, i am really happy with where i adjist with, its just a private home that has a few other girls my age adjisting so it is great! we now have a brand new full size dressage arena, lovely stables and a tackroom that was built at the end of last year, a jumping arena and lots of nice paddock space, a round yard and crush/wash-bay the price is for full board, but my pony is not stabled, he goes into his own yard at night that has a little stable/shed in it. the lady that looks after the horses washes and fixes all our rugs when they get ripped and lets us use the float, i feel so lucky to of found this place compared to a lot of people i know who are paying around 170pw for similar facilities where there are lots of horses. i think the best thing about adjgisting my pony at a small adjistment centre is that they get a bit of extra attention. also i compete my pony, so i am really consious of what he eats and the condition he is in and the care he gets, so i guess people out there who are looking for somewhere to keep a show pony at low costs, there are places like where i adgjist that can meet your needs at a lower price :D

8. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

Mine is certainly not a pleasure hack but is a good doer for a TB, even in full work i only have to feed him once per day, and for a bout 3 weeks this year i had to feed him 1 biscuit of hay with his dinner, if you have a good paddock 1 feed is more then adequate...if i need lessons i float him somewhere and have friends down the road with facilities if i need to jump or work him in an arena, but for $35pw im not complaining.

9. Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan

Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan Well-known Member

hehe i pay 60pw (as i posted before) and i am really into hacking, but i guess sometimes price reflects the property, but there are some where the price doesnt, i think where i adjist it is way underpriced, its worth heaps more than what i pay, but hey im not complaining, ahaha im just lucky to of found it, any way my point is that even though im not paying through the nose, my pony (which i compete on regularly) is in top condition :) oh and the place has a proper stable block and dressage arena, so i never have any problems preparing for big shows :)

10. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

They're still probably thoroughbreds in the majority! Same horses, different mindset of owners. And i dont think $20pw exists anymore(cost almost of a hay bale!!) , maybe $40pw for basic paddock..i know thats for no facilities at all.

Of course its a lot of work but when isnt prepping for a royal or HOTY? Never heard anyone say its a piece of cake!!

11. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

I think simple, good agistment is very hard to find.
    Everything that opens now is 'boutique', FB and starts at $150pw and skyrockets from there.
    I do also think that the prices are what they are because people have no choice but to pay them. You either pay for it or don't have a horse. And everyone knows it.
    I hate agisting. I would love to have my horse on my own property. One powerball...

12. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

Rightio sorry for posting my opinion

Im not quite sure what you are debating club ignite

Cornflower I agree its all about demand **)

13. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

Gingerbread man, its great you found something cheap.
    I was just pointing out usually if you are paying a small amount for just a paddock, it wont suit most competition horses which is why so many have posted they pay 150pw +

Your situation is quite different as you have all the facilities but get it cheap

14. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I don't think that's true.

Take on look at the price of property this end of town and tell me you would not charge the same. Not to mention the cost of facilities, labour, council rates and ongoings including the rapidly increasing price of feed. Unfortunately we live in a state where everything is expensive and limited. I for one would never run an agistment centre.

Demand isn't what drives agistment prices up, the extortionate prices of property and everything else in this state does.

15. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

Demand drives prices up as people know they can charge x$ if there is no other agistment in the area so people will pay what it takes.
    I know I would at least - often some people have no option but to pay to secure a spot as there are plenty more waiting to take their place.

It obviously isnt the only factor increasing prices but it sure is a big factor in what people choose to charge.

16. Dark Embrace

Dark Embrace Active Member

I Breed show and unoffical hacking... I pay $30 per week per horse in Henley Brook DIY. Individual or shared paddock (slightly small paddocks though) I have shared access to stables, hay shed, feed room, round yard, day yards, undercover tie up for an additional fee. Also have a marked out grassed area to ride. Private property owner retired so nearly always at home. limited retic, and no sand!!! :)* Property owner is great and will feed if i get sick or injured.

I think im pretty lucky.
    I think there may be an space available atm**)

17. Mega Kool

Mega Kool Well-known Member

I didn't win a Powerball. I worked for it.
    So I believe I am allowed to make a living the same as my customers do when they go to work each day while I look after their horses.

If anyone ever actually sat down with a pen and paper and worked out the costs of everything invloved in running a good agistment centre, they would probably never want to own one. If it wasn't for the love of horses, people and lifestyle you wouldn't want it for quids.

18. Animosity

Animosity Well-known Member

I Did some quick working out when finding agistment earlier this year... and i honestly, when i worked it out.. no money was 'made' from agistment! Just seemed to break even! I know you would get discount for buying bulk etc.. but wow, certainly did not seem like it would be much.. even with having 40 odd horses!

You do a great job Tony, and all your staff. And its no wonder you barely ever have vacancies! If i ever have to be in perth for a longer period of time again, ill certainly be giving you a call! Cannot complain one bit **)

19. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

Mega kool that so right, so many costs for running and agistment centre!
    Thats why I never complain about how much I pay wherever I go as I know I should probably being a lot more lol!
    I think good care for your horse and peace of mind is worth an awful lot!

20. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Mega cool you are so right. We had our own horse property 8 years ago. 10 luscious acres that was very high maintenance with kike to the top of the fence. It cost us an enormous amount of capital to set up and we had a large mortgage to pay. All our spare time was spent maintaining it, spending money on upkeep and improving it. Our marriage nearly split up over it because of the time, money, effort and the stress of keeping it.

In the end we sold it and I now agist with much less stress and much less financial input. It is great now when the pump breaks down and I don't have water I just go and see the owner and he has to go and buy a new pump. When the kike needs slashing I don't have to worry about it the owner has to drag out the tractor and do it. I don't have to pay the rates, power bills, water bills and for weed spraying.

We sat down and worked out that the amount that I would pay in agistment over 20 years (including inflation) would be the same amount of interest we would have to pay on a mortgage without even paying off the main part of the mortgage itself. We have a lot more cash floating around, a lot more time and a lot less stress. We can actually go away on holiday now it is great. Be careful what you wish for because it might not actually be what you want.

I am very grateful too for the time and effort the owners of where I agist. They are stars as far as I am concerned.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010