Agistment costs

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by erilyn, Nov 27, 2010.

1. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

Haha RP makes me look like a lazy slob when it comes to work hours :D
    It was awesome knowing that your horse was happy and well cared for, I didn't get the, I wonder what will be wrong THIS time, sort of feeling when I drove in the gate. I enjoyed my horse the most when I didn't have to drive around buying food, making feeds and worrying about substandard conditions. That's just me though - I'm definitely not a DIY person! I really love my hard fought free time, it keeps me sane.

2. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

However, it is rather scary to see those prices, regardless of what facilities, and it really does take horse ownership away from us mere mortals. I am trying everything in my power to keep my horse, but I can see a rather sad goodbye coming up due to agistment so hard to afford. Mortgage plus kids plus horse agistment starts to be very hefty indeed. :( :(

3. Anna_Smiler

Anna_Smiler Well-known Member

i pay $90 a week for full board in the Swan vally/ Millendon area. My horse has his own paddock. 2-3 biscuts of hay in the morning (hard feed is optional) then a hard feed at night. Rugs on and off every day (according to the weather). We have a lovely big round yard. Nice big dressage arena, a 2nd is currently under construction that will be flood lit. We also have a jumps paddock too. Tie up and wash bays (only cold water atm) nice big tack room with a washing machine. i can Also keep my float there as well.

Stables hopefully to come soon. But not fussed. My horse paddocks well and keeps a nice coat all yr round usually. so even if they come i dont think il bother stabling him. Close to trails, Swan Valley equestrian park, SEC and brookleigh. Love it.

The people who own the place are awesome and usually always go above and beyond to look after the horses. We are always welcome in their home as well and to stay the night before shows etc if need be.

4. niccyv

niccyv New Member

I pay $100 a week

It's private property, $50 agistment $50 food per week
    He is paddocked 24/7
    Fed twice a day (i try and go 5-6 days a week to feed/work at night)
    Trails and gallop track right down the road

he's looked after well and it's ideal for me because i don't really do much so don't need an arena as such, the paddock does fine, and if i have work/emergency/uni my friend does him for me. He is on a feed schedule and when anything goes wrong he's taken good care of. i have no need to go anywhere else till i 'have to'

5. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

LOL TB4Me I think it really just makes me look insane for actually working those hours.... *#) Although even when I reduce my hours next year (crosses fingers...) Im so used to having the freedom of such wonderful agistment that I wont be going anywhere!!

6. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Having always looked after my own horses, I am VERY particular about every little thing regarding their care/handling. DIY lets me be sure that everything is done the way I like it. It also means that I know my horse inside out, he knows me (and misses me when I am away and have to get the agistment owner to do him), I notice anything even mildly wrong immediately. I'm sure I would be a nightmare fullboarder because I would always be making demanding requests about how the boots are put on, how the rugs are put on, order feeds are mixed in (yes im OCD lol), etc I can't even think of the million tiny details I do a day that others might not? I find it very stressful when I go away even though I trust my agistment owner and she does a terrific job, it is very hard for me to relinquish the control I have DIY.
    To me, horse ownership, management and enjoyment is far more than just riding.

7. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I agist with Raw Prawn and use to with TB4Me *#) I pay 130 a week for full paddock board. My horse isn't a fan of stables :}. I can't do DIY or part board due to work so its great knowing my horse is well looked after for me and it eases my mind to know he is happy where he is. And i like the social aspect of the centre where i am. I've made some good friends in the year and half I've been there :))

I would love to my horse at home but there is no way i could afford the mortgage on the property plus horse feed and the on going maintenance. :eek:

8. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Same :)
    I use to agist fb and I hated only going out to ride.
    I like the fact that my horses whinny and call as soon as I come down the driveway (even though I'm sure they see me as a big bag of feed).. I feel I have a better bond with my mare who I see every day, twice a day, hail, rain or shine than I have with other horses who I've had on fb agistment. Nothing against those who do fb agistment as I understand a lot of people don't have time to go out twice a day.. but I do love doing diy :) even though I whinge when it's bucketing down :p

9. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

Thank you everyone for your contributions. It has given me much food for thought.:))

10. niccyv

niccyv New Member

Lauren I wish I could do DIY it would be great to have my horse rely on me for everything. But where I live, it's 25-30 mins by car or 1.5 hours by public transport (as i have to go north 25 mins into the city then south for an hour on a bus) and would never be worth it every morning as by the time i got back into the city, i would barely have any time to have a job/uni. One day, ONE DAY i might have DIY though I doubt it.

In the future I might have to move my horse and I am a bit worried as I am restricted to those within walking distance from public transport (moving into uni next year means i have no way to really get my license for a while) so might go up significantly later. ugh.

11. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Yep like I said, I really do get why people don't do it..
    It is very time consuming but I feel lucky that for the time being (hopefully til after Uni when I'm working full time) that I'm able to see my horse twice a day :)

12. Natty and Nell Forever

Natty and Nell Forever Well-known Member

because many people just cant get out to their horse twice a day, i have thought about it and maybe when i get my licence i may do it but it is hard for me to get out x2 a day :)

13. Teal

Teal Well-known Member

If I didn't work full time and then some, I would do DIY for sure! I could maybe do part board at a push, but would need the flexibility that someone could feed her if I wasn't able to for whatever reason. Full board is easier for me, no stress! I struggle to get out enough just to ride 4 x per week, and hate that every time I go out I am riding. But that's the way it is, if I worked less I wouldn't be able to afford to have a horse...but then because I work full time it costs me more...hmmm....

14. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

LOL
    agistment prices was one of the reasons we bought a house in bullsbrook, not in the city, I cant have my horses at home but i can agist tem out less then 10 mins from home in a big paddock with plenty of feed (i dont actually need to feed them, older horse only gets fed coz of his supplements and young horse only gets fed when worked) i share a 20 acre paddock with a friends horse and it costs me less then $100 PW we have a good deal tho because its a retirement agist place but the owner lets us ride there and we dont have to keep our horses with the other retirees.

I have 2 horses so its under $50 each

15. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

i pay $2.50 a day per horse, $17.50 per week per horse. i get 2 x 2 acre paddocks with lots of shade and feed, i haven't fed my horses in 1 month not even hay and they are HUGE!!!
    i get the paddocks, a place to park my truck, can ride anywhere, supervision, water trough.
    i don't get a tack shed but to all those people that thought i was mad buying a horse truck - nah nah nah, i got a rolling tack shed :) there's lots of trails around and the bunbury pony club up the road

16. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Because I live in Cottesloe and the closest place I can agist where my horse will actually have a paddock and not be locked up 24/7 is 40-50 mins away depending on traffic :p It would cost me more in petrol! Also at uni full time and work part time. If I had to drive 3 hour round trip every day my grades would definitely suffer.

Edit to add- I pay $130 a week at an amazing agistment centre. I've been at several where I've never been 100% happy about the way my horse is being looked after but at this agistment centre I'm completely happy and my horse has never looked better :)*

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  17. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Quoting myself..

I said "I really do get why people don't do it.."

Haha..

Once again :p I get why people don't do it!
    I doubt myself I'll be able to do it in the future.. I am also lucky that It's only 10km away.. I know when I use to agist 30+ mins away there way no way I could go out there twice a day.

18. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Oops! Sorry. Definitely read that as don't :p
    I really wish I could do DIY- or better yet have horses at own property. Maybe one day... in the far far future

19. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

Just to add- when I got back the UK I was a bit confused with the Full/ part board definitions here. In England, full board means everything and the horse gets exercised as you request, Part board is everything, no exercise, and DIY is facilities only, no care or feed.

How nice for those working full time to have the option of "Full" Full board and know your horse was being worked as well! (plus nice for me grooming there and riding every day!)

20. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

wow! i am blown away by the cost some people are paying! tho i guess its practical in ways.

I am soo lucky! i have a lovely place 2 streets from home, about 2 acre paddock, little feed shed, and can do what i want. i have to go out twice a day and feed, but i only pay $10 per week per horse **)
    the lady at the house is really nice and will top up water if she sees it low.
    i only moved back there, ( gave it a 4 month break to regrow ) about a month ago, for the 4 months of winter i was agisting 2 at a lovely place round the crn with arena and stables and nice grass paddocks, at $35 ea and had Clancy out on spell in huge paddock with herd for $50...