Agistment costs

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by erilyn, Nov 27, 2010.

1. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

I am curious to find out what people are paying for agistment. This is not an ad - nor do I want it to become one, so please don't mention names or centres!
    What are you paying? What do you get for your money? Are you in a centre that is run as a business, or a private home or with a friend (similar to a daycare centre or home daycare!!)?

2. Teal

Teal Well-known Member

I am currently paying $170 per week in Henley brook. It is a small Agistment centre, full board. They have reticulated paddocks with good safe fencing, indoor stable block, lovely floodlit arena and a jumping paddock/arena. BUT the cost is about to go up to $185/week, which I am less than happy about. $170 was pushing my budget a bit but I justified it in that it is a lovely property, and as it belongs to my instructor I would get slightly cheaper lessons and the bonus of extra help whenever I need it. Now I don't know if I should move...I really don't want to as I am very happy with the care my horse receives, it is a really great place and I don't want to risk going to a dodgy place, but $185/week is really pushing it! So I am very interested to know what others pay too, also the area they are in.

3. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

Thanks Teal. Maybe you should talk to the owner, and see if you can do some odd jobs around the place to keep the cost down????? Especially if you are happy there - it would be a shame to move.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I know of a centre in Champion Lakes now up to $180 PW FB and another one in armadale at the same price. I charge one of mine $150 and the other $165, one client has been here 8 yrs and the other is a pleasure rider. I dont do agistment as such, but personally dont blame the centres to be charging this price.

I was getting my chaff delivered for $15.60 which is steam cut rough cut about 30kg and it is beautiful clean chaff. I was advised it would be going up to $17.60 a bag, but have been informed last week it was going up to $20 from the next delivery.

I think it is going to get harder to place the bigger more difficult horses, the ones who fence walk, weave and windsuck are going to be even more difficult to place. They can do so much damage in fencewalking it is just not worth having them on your property.

Would be interested to hear from other centres etc, how much it will have to go up to keep up with the increased feed prices.....................:)

5. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

I pay $110 a week full board at a small agistment centre in wanneroo. Grass paddocks, indoor stable block (but my girl doesn't get one bcoz there are limited spots in them) round yard, grass riding paddock/arena, 2 huge hard feeds A day and hay. I love it there and my horse is getting the best of care. 

6. Teal

Teal Well-known Member

I actually started doing this when I first started agisting there, but didn't have time and it wasn't really worth it for me. I work full time and run a (very) small business on the side so couldn't be there at appropriate times most days and found the work I had time to do didn't make enough difference to justify the time spent doing it...if I had more time I would have my horse on DIY but it doesn't really work for me unfortunately :(

7. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

I used to pay 175 p/w in Wanneroo for that I got
    Grass paddock
    Fed twice a day and sometimes 3 if the horse was skinny(each horse had a meal that suited them)
    Hay I would say there would be about 8-10 biscuits in there.
    Stabled at night and paddock in day
    If it was hot all the horses would be tested to see if they were dehydrated , and if they were they got litres of molasse water till they were back up and hydrated and all the water levels in each horses stable were watched to make sure they were drinking enough and they were given fresh water.
    My gelding went there with a bad cut to his leg and everyday they bathed it and re - bandaged it with fresh badages for me .
    2 arenas with jumps and all the good stuff.
    Rugs on/off and they did as many as you needed

Overall it was fantastic I loved it , I changed though as I wanted something closer to home. I now agist in Henely Brook and love it I pay $152 p/w

Grassed paddock with wiwo with electric fencing which extends to the gate. The grass is great it has about 5 varieties in it and the paddocks are rotated so everytime he goes into a new paddock its full of good length grass and it stays green all year round .
    Great Arena
    Rugs on /off
    Fed twice a day
    Waters ect
    Im the only agister atm so its just my gelding and his paddock mate Dazzle next door, so its always quiet and the arenas always free .
    ATM she's building new stables.

The thing I love the most is the owner , she is one of the nicest ladies I have ever met . She had us over for dinner once, she takes great care of my boy , she even said she will teach me how to reverse a float , and she has done so much more words can not really describe how nice she is . My mum also gets on well with her so today she coming over for a BBQ
    :D

8. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

WOW :eek:
    Thats a great price for Wanneroo :)*

9. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i agist part board in Gnangara.
    -2 full size arenas with lights
    -round yard
    -brick WIWO on sand yard
    -about 1/2 acre retic paddock
    - crush & nice wash-down bay
    - next door to gnangara pines.
    they will feed breakky in the morning & take off rugs if necessary. if i want them to feed at night, there's a minimal charge, so i share the load with my friend instead.

$80/week.

10. kasper

kasper Active Member

I have paddock agistment only and we pay $60 per month. Good facilitys and great people.

11. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

I'm in Herne Hill on 3/4 and pay $82.50pw. I provide all my own feed, incl hay, and they do everything.
    FB is $130pw.
    WIWO's. They are not closed in the stable, it's open all the time.
    Paddocks. Retic and not, various sizes. Horses are in with others. Or can go in on their own.
    Not great grazing, but cover in each paddock, and it varies too, as they do rest paddocks. And there isn't any Patterson's Curse.
    The only sand is in the yards, and the place drains remarkably well. There is never any puddles anywhere.
    Arena. Has trot poles, and jump wings if you want them.
    Tie-up/wash area.
    Crush if you want it.
    Rugs on/off.
    Good fencing.
    10mins from home.
    It's a very small property, there's only 1 other agister, plus their own horses, which is really good. And everyone is nice.

12. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

im in oakford and on $150 a week....

13. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

I'm in Baskerville... I lucked-out and managed to snag one of the two huge paddocks with a WIWO, FB (2 x hard feed, 2 x hay), lovely arena's, trot-pole arena (I think real riders call it something like a 'jumping arena? rofl), lights, tack-room with washing machine, under-cover wash-bay (cold water only though :() and lovely people... $30 per day, equals, ummm... x 31 days per month.... ummm... :rolleyes: *#) Good job we are off to the Olympics! rofl

14. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

Wow that is pricey justjam!
    I dont think I have ever seen agistment that price in Perth.

15. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

I pay $77 a week for an individual acre paddock with heaps of feed and 2x hay a day. I can get rugs on and off but try to make it as easy on the owner as possible. Full size arena and miles and miles of bush riding. I love it!

16. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I pay $30 a week DIY.
    Includes reticulated grass paddocks, some with WIWO's.
    A huge shed for storing feed, a locked tack shed. A grassed jump arena with about 8 jumps or so.. A marked sand dressage arena. A trotting track out the back.

I could never ever justify paying $140+ a week on agistment!

17. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Hehehe I have my horse on the nearby cattle station (he's currently on a 500 acre paddock) and all it costs me is a box of clay targets every now and then (150 targets is roughly $45). They haven't actually asked me to pay agistment so I just say right, next time we go out clay target shooting I'll provide the clays and some shells. Works a treat, good ole barter/you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours system, don't see a lot of that around these days :(

In regards to facilities, ummmm, cattle yards is about the closest I get to proper yards at the moment, heaps of area to ride in, hose at the yards to wash down, don't need to feed said horse at the moment as it's 500 acres of knee high grass, shares the paddock with 20 or so other horses and they don't mind me pinching a quad bike to go out and bring him up to the yards. When I had him in a smaller paddock (only 100 acres or thereabouts!) it wasn't ever a drama to ask one of them to put a feed out for him once a day but then as I said before, we help them out whenever they need it so what goes around comes around. Plus it's a 2 minute drive or a 5 minute walk from my front door. Works well.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  18. barragirl

barragirl Active Member

I pay $100/week in Wanneroo which is for 3/4 board - they do everything, except I buy my own feed/hay. INdividual and shared grassy paddocks during day, wiwo at night. Arena (average), jumps on grass, round yard but most importantly horses get treated like it is their own (which is my number 1 requirement!!). People are AWESOME and RELIABLE - no b#llsh#t which as we all know can be rare at agistment centres these days :)*

19. Omega Conquest

Omega Conquest Well-known Member

justjam i know pain ;)

20. Dutchess

Dutchess Active Member

we pay 50 a week for half board rugs,feed and let out of his yard in the morning and i feed in the avo. we have arena,a creek that keeps the paddocks grassy at this time of year there is knee high grass, yard paddock can be seperated if i need him to be, and we buy all food.