advice with Pali filly please

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by kcr1971, Sep 29, 2011.

1. kcr1971

kcr1971 Active Member

Here is my Arabian Stock horse filly, Matilda..

[​IMG]

and eyes close up

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me why she is so black around the eyes and mouth?? Does it mean she will shed the foal coat to be a very dark pali?? Any info greatly appreciated **)

Cheers Kylie

2. Asenath

Asenath New Member

What are her parents colours?? Are either of her parents a grey?

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

she has very light eyelashes so doubt she will be a dark pally...maybe silver (depending on parents)';'

4. kcr1971

kcr1971 Active Member

Her Dam is bay and her Sire is cremello. Will be interesting to see how she looks when the fluff drops off?

5. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

they generally go darker around eyes mouth as their coat changes! :D

6. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

I could be wrong but think you actually have a buckskin filly and not pally.
    Ive had a couple of foals born that look pally and change coat to a dark buckskin.
    Also checking on the colour calculator website as I am not an expert on genetics you have an almost 60% chance of buckskin from that cross anyway :)

7. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

this is jayke as a bub
    [​IMG]

hes now 5 and a dark golden pally in summer, not so much in winter lol

8. kcr1971

kcr1971 Active Member

any pics of him now Pepsea?? That is exactly what she looks like now (in his foal pics)...**)
    around her bum is really dark too.

9. kcr1971

kcr1971 Active Member

But what happens to the white mane and tail? Does that change to black as they get older? Do you have any photos of your foals and then comparisons as they get older? Cheers Kylie

10. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

here he is yesterday, you can see some of his true colour on his neck/shouders and some on his butt, lol the other light stuff is still his winter coat lol. i wish he could just shed evenly!!
    [​IMG]

11. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

when he lost his foal coat he went black in spots looks pretty rank lol will try find pics

12. kcr1971

kcr1971 Active Member

He's very nice! I hope Miss Matilda grows up like that :)
    Thanks for showing me his photos..

13. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

thankyou :D
    even now he darkens on his legs/rump while changing coat!

14. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Not on this computer sorry but have had one very pally looking colt that had white mane and tail went a light bucky and mane and tail became quite dark.
    Lovely filly regardless of her colour though.

15. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Definitely pally.
    I reckon she'll be quite dark pally, the saying goes 'the lighter they are born the darker they will be' and weve had three pallys born here and its all rung true! *#)
    My other guess is that she will go through a really sooty/smutty stage when she'll be a chocolately colour. Whether or not she'll stay that colour could be anyones guess. Weve got one who went very smutty around 6 months old and now as a yearling is back to the most clearest, cleanest palomino colour. And it doesnt seem to matter whats shes fed?!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  16. RustyRidge Clydesdales

RustyRidge Clydesdales Well-known Member

Wow Pepsea Wow, havent seen pics of him for a looooong time!! Hasnt he matured into a very sexy boy :D

17. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I know someone that had a gorgeous Pali born (Pali dam, bay sire).
    Come just after weaning, bub got LOTS of black hairs in mane/tail/forelock & mate tried bleaching it out, big no-no!
    As a 5yo (last saw bub as a 7mth old, then again as a 5yo), he was BUCKSKIN! ;)

18. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Exactly Remaani thats what I'm trying to say I know she looks pally but it wuldnt surprise me if she was in fact bucky :)

19. kcr1971

kcr1971 Active Member

Ok so I guess I just wait and see then. There is no test as both pali and bucky carry the cream dilution.... Id be quite thrilled if she was a bucky actually!!**)
    Ill hold off on the registrations until she matures a bit **)

20. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Think Neryl may be right :) May be silver buckskin too, that would explain the mane and tail. You can test or buckskin, you would test for cream and agouti, you can also test for silver **)